I'm not tipping anymore I don't give a

17 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

A masseuse once told me of a young man who wanted special services, then after, dashed out of the shop w/o even paying for the massage... but you are saying calling him cheap is indefensible - I am saying he was cheap... 

I would call that person a thief, I wouldn't call him cheap.

But then again, Thai women often tell lies in order to make foolish foreigners feel the need to give them money. I rarely pay attention to women's stories of 'bad man cheated/did me wrong'.

Edited by BritManToo

14 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

But maybe you should have as your post accusing Thai did seem to exclude others... and I find Thai far less weird than most farang... 

I'm not responsible for the way you interpret what you read.

Didn't accuse anybody. Clearly stated "I don't judge".

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I know lots of Thai people with more money than me.

I never tip anyone for anything (excluding ladies that provide extra services).

State your price, and I'll decide if I want the product/service or not.

If you want more, ask for more right at the start.

If you're an employee who feels you don't get paid enough, look for another job.

If you're an employee who feels you don't get paid enough, look for another job.

Most of us are used to, at least a 'moderately' comfortable lifestyle and tend to forget there are less fortunate human beings. Parting with a little of your own resources, with a less fortunate, cannot be bad or stupid IMHO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ravip said:

Parting with a little of your own resources, with a less fortunate, cannot be bad or stupid IMHO.

The Thais I know generally despise foreigners who are stupid with money.

Give a big tip and you are more likely to be publicly badmouthed than to be respected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you tip to expect some smile or thank you, you tip for the wrong reasons in the first place. You either give a tip because you think they deserve it, or because you can bribe them that way for better service or a good seat (if you are a repeating customer at some place). 

To give a tip of 10 baht on 190 baht laundry, obviously that makes you look like a fool. That is more like insulting someone unless you clearly mention it as 'just keep the change' but certainly not as 'a tip'.

Regarding the massage place, she wanted to know as that would define the finish you would get. Go to a proper massage place if you do not want that. I guess as usual, it is the OP being the issue here, same as to say you would feel pressure by mates in a bar to tip, i guess you got the wrong mates then.

To go on-topic: I tip way less often lately, due to the fact this is not standard with promptpay, came across one nice foreign owner who did allow to transfer more manually, and he give the tips in cash to his staff. Thais actually rarely tip or just leaving the coins in change, so it is not exactly like one needs too anyway.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Give a big tip and you are more likely to be publicly badmouthed than to be respected.

Absolutely! Throwing around money is another 'social disease' I would say - mostly done by rich and arrogant who wants attention to themselves!

But here we are talking of tips averaging 10 - 100 Baht (which of course can go up to many hundred's depending on the situation. 

Tipping should be a very simple gesture, initiated by ones own generosity and kindness with zero expectations on returns.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I live in a Thailand where nobody tips anybody ......... except for 'extra' services.

No foreigners near me.

Those are just the cheaper and local Thais, yeah obviously to their understanding they would bad mouth if another person tips royally. But the same people gossip and bad mouth anyone they like, on a daily basis, anyways. My inlaws village they also always know how I should spend my money and live my life.

Decent or better doing Thais would certainly not bad mouth you for having tipped, they actually admire you if you have a lot to spend. Same as they would give you a better treatment when wearing brand clothes, even it is totally unjustified. 

Anyway, tipping culture is a failed American concept and not good at all. Better to get it stopped entirely and have better wages for service staff from the owner. However tipping for work done good is nice to do, if deserved.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Stupid with their money = stupid to them, as they have less than 300 baht a day to live off. So much even you will be gossiped about by that type of people then too, as you are not living in a bamboo hut.

Likely they think it is stupid from you to use a swimming pool, wasting water, stupid to drink beer instead of cheap lao kao, stupid to not eat rice only as its cheaper bla bla bla. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Those are just the cheaper and local Thais, yeah obviously to their understanding they would bad mouth if another person tips royally. But the same people gossip and bad mouth anyone they like, on a daily basis, anyways. 

Decent or better doing Thais would certainly not bad mouth you for having tipped, they actually admire you if you have a lot to spend. Same as they would give you a better treatment when wearing brand clothes, even it is totally unjustified. 

Anyway, tipping culture is a failed American concept and not good at all. Better to get it stopped entirely and have better wages for service staff from the owner. However tipping for work done good is nice to do, if deserved.

Bit like the "service Charge". If it could be guaranteed it all went to the staff then that's fine but with the sharks running business's these days then I doubt that happens very often.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Likely they think it is stupid from you to use a swimming pool, wasting water, stupid to drink beer instead of cheap lao kao, stupid to not eat rice only as its cheaper bla bla bla. 

My local swimming pool charges 20bht.

Don't drink LK, but do grow plenty of my own cannabis (free).

As for rice, not much cheaper than chips (99bht for 2Kg) or spaghetti (75bht/Kg) as far as I can see.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My local swimming pool charges 20bht.

Don't drink LK, but do grow plenty of my own cannabis (free).

As for rice, not much cheaper than chips (99bht for 2Kg) or spaghetti (75bht/Kg) as far as I can see.

That 20 baht would be a lot to them already but I hoped you would get the point by the stated example. The average brains of a Thai would not even know what the price of spaghetti is, they see farang food and that means expensive = gossip material.

Mama noodles are cheap, but do not get started about long-term health impact + more important; the costs to fix it if possible and the income missed from labour while being sick. Thai logic, thai brains.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I would call that person a thief, I wouldn't call him cheap.

But then again, Thai women often tell lies in order to make foolish foreigners feel the need to give them money. I rarely pay attention to women's stories of 'bad man cheated/did me wrong'.

it had just happened a couple of days before, and she was not looking for sympathy, just having a laugh... there was more to the story... 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The beauty part is that here in Thailand you don't have to tip if you don't want to tip and you really don't need a reason either way.

Ah but the op offered a reason, to impress his friends at the bar... this is who you are dealing with.. 

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The Thais I know, and know of, despise and disrespect Farang along general principle, as they already know the base character of said Farang......[not casting broad stereotypes]

Tip the Satangs if your not a friendly tipper.  I give the Grab delivery guys 20 baht as a tip for the service.  They make diddly squat, and now they are being pressured to get a taxi style plate and license just to deliver food.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is also a loftier component here. By showing even minor generosity, and decency, we keep the heart open and that keeps us feeling better and being more useful to our community. 

Very true. Thai culture involves small bits of giving every day, to the monks, to stray dogs, to each other. As affluent community members, a bit of tipping and temple donating goes a long way.

18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

A massage woman half way through the massage ,how much you tip me she says ?

I had this happen ONCE...i told her to stop..got up--got dressed and paid for the time and left.

as it was obvious what the next hour was going to be like......

as far as the tip for her?   heres one dont ask a customer halfway thru a massage about a TIP!

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I live in a very different Thailand than the OP.

Sounds like rubbish. 

Sounds like hyperbole or a straight up troll.