I'm not tipping anymore I don't give a

And yet, a restauranteur in New York tried to abolish tipping, charge a service fee, and his staff quit en masse. Like rent controlled apartments, tipping greatly benefits some servers at the greater expense of others.

In the above example where the waitress only makes $9, notice that she's not demanding change, she's demanding tips.

The US tax code is littered with various special interest taxes and relief's that no other country in the world has (like mortgage interest deductions). Some people benefit (homeowners), some don't (renters).Tipping works similarly.  

In a small percentage of high end restaurants, a waiter can make $1,500+ a night for merely being genial in a lightly skilled job. For someone working in a diner, it's a long slog of a day for $150 doing essentially the same work.

This being America, the $150 a day worker isn't outraged, he's hoping to cash on the deal up the road. As the joke goes, every American is a temporarily embarrassed millionaire waiting for his turn. Tipping culture subsidizes the good looking and middle class-polished, at the expense of the less so.

The people who need the least help, get the most in tipping culture. But nobody wants to give up their bite at the apple or their chance at it. So tipping will be with us for a very long time to come.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Some forms of begging, like in front of the BTS station, are bad. Some forms, like tip jars at Starbucks are fine.

Like when my nephew's want to sell me a $1 candy bar for a fiver to help them with their footie shirts; why am I involved? And it's not like their parents aren't rich. But this bit of faux-work is thought to be character-building and I am expected to faux-support them. I'd rather give money to a blind Issan singer on Soi 11.

Great Seinfeld ep where George keeps trying to get noticed and appreciated when putting money in a tip jar and the staff keeps turning their back on him. I have felt that pain.

Serenity Now!

On 6/23/2022 at 6:01 AM, BritManToo said:

except for 'extra' services

I wonder if the reason that some people might be annoyed by a tip is that they don't associate the tip with the service provided but rather think that it means the guy will want something in return later on.  There seem to be a few examples in the news where men use women owing them money as leverage to demand sex.

In my experience, even being being friendly and passing the time of day with a woman seems to be an indicator of sexual or romantic interest.  It wouldn't surprise me if giving money was seen as something similar.

Edited by BangkokReady

19 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

In my experience, even being being friendly and passing the time of day with a woman seems to be an indicator of sexual or romantic interest.

Why would you want to waste time speaking to a woman you don't find attractive?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why would you want to waste time speaking to a woman you don't find attractive?

I'm very extroverted and I enjoy talking to women.  It doesn't need to be leading to anything more than polite conversation.

I know this seems weird to many people, but that's life. ????‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm very extroverted and I enjoy talking to women.  It doesn't need to be leading to anything more than polite conversation.

I know this seems weird to many people, but that's life. ????‍♂️

Have you ever thought you might be gay?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That is America's fault, the employers should not be so greedy and pay their workers a decent wage. There is no way I was going to pay 20% of my holiday money on tips in any country.

Well in the old days I think 15% was a standard tip in America - but the main point is in America you have the freedom to tip as much as you want for good service and very little or none at all for bad service. I am not sure what you mean by being greedy as customers will always pay directly or indirectly.

If service is good and there is a no tip system I think that often (at least in larger restaurants) a service charge is included so you would be paying part of your holiday money automatically... Not sure about 20% but I rarely go to restaurants so I really dont know what you are talking about.

Edited by TravelerEastWest

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Well in the old days I think 15% was a standard tip in America - but the main point is in America you have the freedom to tip as much as you want for good service and very little or none at all for bad service. I am not sure what you mean by being greedy as customers will always pay directly or indirectly.

If service is good and there is a no tip system I think that often (at least in larger restaurants) a service charge is included so you would be paying part of your holiday money automatically... Not sure about 20% but I rarely go to restaurants so I really dont know what you are talking about.

I was reading an article about America and it's customs before I went there for the first time, and it said in it that we should expect to pay 20% of our spending money on tips, so with me being me I was put on the defensive side.

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Most of us would agree. But, certainly giving 20 baht to a hard working waitress, or 15 baht to a Panda or Grab delivery guy is fair and within reason. It makes alot more difference to them, than it does to us, is the general point. And having an open heart does contribute to our well being too. 

Why miss out the shelf stacker in Tesco or the counter girl in KFC?

How about the swimming pool attendant or the guy serving in the booze shop? 

Do they earn more, are they less deserving?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You don't tip at all then??

Mental.....we tip everybody all the time.....not much, 20/50/100 baht, but it just helps the world go round.

There is a guy who shifts garden waste from the next village along from us. Everytime we see him we stop the car and give him 20 baht.....pennies I know....but every little bit helps.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Mental.....we tip everybody all the time.....not much, 20/50/100 baht, but it just helps the world go round.

There is a guy who shifts garden waste from the next village along from us. Everytime we see him we stop the car and give him 20 baht.....pennies I know....but every little bit helps.

I guess not everyone can afford to tip though, some people save a  year to o go on a holiday ,they might work in a factory in the UK or Australia working Monday to Friday on basic wages so they can't afford to tip everyone 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Who excluded them?

Tipping is not compulsory. No one needs to feel guilty. 

Hoarding your wealth also is one's own choice. 

Nothing to feel guilty about anything. 

Each to his own...

Edited by ravip

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Now you are just baiting us, and being obstinate. That is not your normal self. It will all work out, I can assure you. 

I've never had that experience in Thailand, but when I traveled in Cambodia tip was often expected or they would even get angry. I started to call it the land of the $1 smile ????

I'm a regular tipper, but only to low-income workers who are paid from the neck down. I usually give my laundry lady twice what she asks, for slaving over a hot iron smoothing out my clean rags. Heck, I even tip the poor fuel pump attendants. 

It seems that the OP wants recognition and praise for throwing a few shekels at low-paid menial workers. If that's your reason for tipping, may I suggest you put your hand back in your pocket and stop whining about something you're not obliged to do?

It's just a thought.

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

Ordering Grab Food for lunch every working days, tips from 30 to 50 baht by apps depends on the distance of travel.

Just to appreciate their effort and hope can make their day, never expecting anything in return.

Aircon service man will always come next day after I called when my aircon leaked.

Service fee 600 baht but I always give 1,000 baht.

Worth it, he solved my problem as I expected/needed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

I'm a regular tipper, but only to low-income workers who are paid from the neck down. I usually give my laundry lady twice what she asks, for slaving over a hot iron smoothing out my clean rags. Heck, I even tip the poor fuel pump attendants. 

It seems that the OP wants recognition and praise for throwing a few shekels at low-paid menial workers. If that's your reason for tipping, may I suggest you put your hand back in your pocket and stop whining about something you're not obliged to do?

It's just a thought.

I saw this the other day on the Khao San Road. well the next street along to be precise. a somewhat overweight older gentleman, ie. not a smelly bagpacker, received his change. he took all the 20 baht notes and left some shrapnel but by that time the "Nong" had walked away. so he shouted out to her and made a big show of re-opening the check folder to show her that he'd left ten baht or whatever. what a winner.

14 minutes ago, Calvin1976 said:

Ordering Grab Food for lunch every working days, tips from 30 to 50 baht by apps depends on the distance of travel.

Just to appreciate their effort and hope can make their day, never expecting anything in return.

Aircon service man will always come next day after I called when my aircon leaked.

Service fee 600 baht but I always give 1,000 baht.

Worth it, he solved my problem as I expected/needed. 

you have good heart ????

On 6/24/2022 at 10:17 AM, spidermike007 said:

For me personally, I would rather tip and help out where I can, within Thai society. I am not a supporter of the temples, and do not really see the great service they are providing for the people. Perhaps you can clue me in, if I am wrong about this. 

You are not wrong, generally speaking they provide little to local communities. Have a look and see how the top Monk in a temple actually lives, they are treated like Gods.  Each temple has one key goal, and that is to acquire more land to build larger, fancier buildings than their rival temple. 

• Thanks 1