Three foreign sellers of durian rounded up in Bangkok following complaints

webfact

SmartSelect_20220622-194621_Gallery.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Wirat Srisamphan of the Taling Chan branch of the Department of Employment and Anti-Human Trafficking police responded to complaints that foreigners were selling poor quality durian and fiddling customers with improperly calibrated scales, reported Daily News

They went to the Phrannok - Phuttamonthon Sai 4 Road where they arrested 3 Vietnamese nationals and took their motorcycles with sidecar attachments into evidence. 

Two men Nguyen, 41, and Bui, 34 and a woman called Huang, 32, were selling the fruit outside the Sirichai pharmacy.

SmartSelect_20220622-194614_Gallery.jpg

Picture: Daily News

They did not have work permits and had entered Thailand illegally. They could not show any passports.

They were handed over to the Bang Saothong police.

Wirat said that yesterday's action followed complaints about the selling of durian as well as annoyance caused by the foreigners at noisy drinks parties. Residents also feared crime. 

Daily News did not explain the presence of the the human trafficking police. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Wirat said that yesterday's action followed complaints about the selling of durian as well as annoyance caused by the foreigners at noisy drinks parties. Residents also feared crime. 

Guess they'll be giving out quotes for tarmacking drives and doing the roof tiling soon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Guess they'll be giving out quotes for tarmacking drives and doing the roof tiling soon

That's actually a very UK thing where so called gipsies would knock on door.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Wirat Srisamphan of the Taling Chan branch of the Department of Employment and Anti-Human Trafficking police

Daily News did not explain the presence of the the human trafficking police. 

Seems pretty obvious why a department that deals with foreign people working in Thailand would be investigating foreign people working in Thailand. ????‍♂️

• Like 1

It is extraordinary to me how Thais will line up to spend 300 baht or more, for a relatively small amount of durian. What is the big deal, anyway? 

The price can only go up, it seems. Thinking of planting some. Have alot of mangoes now, but the market is terrible for them, and it is hard to turn a profit. The trick is a good irrigation system, it appears. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The price can only go up, it seems. Thinking of planting some. Have alot of mangoes now, but the market is terrible for them, and it is hard to turn a profit.

Have you thought about marijuana?

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Excel said:

That's actually a very UK thing where so called gipsies would knock on door.

My school friend was from a gypsy family, he had an older bother.

The two parents lived in one caravan and the boys in a second one.

Both caravans were spotlessly clean, very well decorated and very expensive.

The old man drove a Range rover, the elder son had  a brand new tranny van and a Ford Cortina MKIII.

They did my old mans drive and 45 years later it's still as good as the day they did it.

They were the salt of the earth and worked bloody hard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The old man drove a Range rover, the elder son had  a brand new tranny van and a Ford Cortina MKIII.

They did my old mans drive and 45 years later it's still as good as the day they did it.

Some of them were/still are great people no doubt, real gypsies that is, which is why I said earlier "so-called Gypsie's".  Regarding their vans, then yes weren't they spotless, really proud of what they had and took care of them mind you they cost a lot of money to buy.

As for the Cortina, I passed my driving test in the Mk1.  One father suggestion is that you mentioned the "Tranny van" - is that wise given the proclivity of some "chaps" on here as they will all want one????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is extraordinary to me how Thais will line up to spend 300 baht or more, for a relatively small amount of durian. What is the big deal, anyway? 

The price can only go up, it seems. Thinking of planting some. Have alot of mangoes now, but the market is terrible for them, and it is hard to turn a profit. The trick is a good irrigation system, it appears. 

I talked it over with the other half as we had a lousy mango crop this year, a lot of fruit rotting from the inside., ( fruit fly I think). She said it takes 8 to 10 years to grow a durian from seed, and 4 to 6 years from a grafting.....( the latter took some time to translate, believe me!!) then is about 4 months for the fruit to ripen. So it is a long setting up process, possibly why the price is so high.

9 minutes ago, Excel said:

Some of them were/still are great people no doubt, real gypsies that is, which is why I said earlier "so-called Gypsie's".  Regarding their vans, then yes weren't they spotless, really proud of what they had and took care of them mind you they cost a lot of money to buy.

As for the Cortina, I passed my driving test in the Mk1.  One father suggestion is that you mentioned the "Tranny van" - is that wise given the proclivity of some "chaps" on here as they will all want one????

I passed my test in a Triumph Toledo, my first car was somewhat less appealing a Ford Anglia 105E.

However I did buy a Cortina MKII 1300cc a year later... pure luxury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The local equivalent knocked on our door and asked about repairing our roof. We also had them close over an open area off our kitchen. They also re-sealed around our second floor windows. Three days of hard and very good work for THB 10,000, materials Inc.uded. Not all "gypsies" are Romanian.

I did have some come by my house in CT and offer to repair my lady friends rusted out old truck. These were true gypsies. They did an amazing job with aluminum foil and fiberglass. Worth every penny of a couple hundred, IMO. Just don't go into a store front abode for an offer to "bless" your cash.????

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I talked it over with the other half as we had a lousy mango crop this year, a lot of fruit rotting from the inside., ( fruit fly I think). She said it takes 8 to 10 years to grow a durian from seed, and 4 to 6 years from a grafting.....( the latter took some time to translate, believe me!!) then is about 4 months for the fruit to ripen. So it is a long setting up process, possibly why the price is so high.

Likely it is worth the wait. The prices will likely only rise, and you have a local market, with Thais who are obsessed with the stuff. The real trick seems to be irrigation, and apparently they need to be sprayed alot, but so do mangoes, to get the higher quality fruit, and the beautiful skin that commands more money per kilo. I think alot of people are going to be taking a bath with mangoes in the years ahead. 

• Thanks 1