Leading Thai doctors calling for mask mandate to be reinstated

snoop1130

On 7/6/2022 at 9:19 PM, sandyf said:

Obviously missing from your vocabulary.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/when-in-rome--do-as-the-romans-do

When I come across a country where it has been long established custom for everyone to wear masks, going back to their great great grandparents time and before,  maybe I’ll do so. 
   But then why do people from other countries continue to dress in their national dress and not dress and act like us when they come to western countries? 
  It appears that for us….when in Rome do as Romans do.  But when Romans go to other countries, they can continue to do as Romans do. 
  What we call a Double Standard. 

I’ll dress and wear what I wish as long as my torso legs and arms are covered.  No mask. 

Now please list the countries where it has long been established national historic custom to go around masked.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, josephbloggs said:

I saw two farangs getting in a taxi yesterday with no mask.  They must have felt so proud and so liberated.  Was one of them you by any chance?

Extremely rude, selfish and inconsiderate of them.

They probably had other things on their minds......????

4 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

<deleted>

I stopped wearing my mask two weeks ago and the only dirty/uncomfortable looks I got so far were from farangs such as yourself. Maybe you should reflect on that.

Yesterday in a shopping center I saw about 10 maskless Thais in the space of 2 hours. As expected they are gradually getting used to taking them off.

Oh I am so giddy to hear you ditched the mask 2 weeks ago, The only dirty looks I see people give foreigners not wearing them are Thai's as their eyes tell the whole story, not sure how you could perceive a dirty look from someone wearing a mask based upon prior comments you have made regarding how masks affect social interactions.  To each his own, it is a personal choice and I accept your choice to do as you wish since the mandate was lifted.

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Coincidence?  I happily stopped wearing my mask as soon as the mandate was lifted.  Yesterday, I tested positive for Covid! ????????

Sorry to hear that Sir, hope the family is unaffected. Wonder if you picked it up from the school.  Hope you heal fast.

10 hours ago, Catoni said:

I wore the [face masks] long enough. And it didn’t stop me from getting Covid five days after my first booster. 
   Tested strong positive with two tests. Sick for two weeks. 

So much for the face mask.  

I’m done wearing those... face condoms.  It’s wonderful to be able to walk around breathing free after covering my face for so long. 

Keep wearing them if you wish. I do believe in freedom. I won’t think badly of you if you mask up. 

Try not to think badly of those of us who are finished with masking and wish to breath free and see faces again. 

You are quoting what happened to you, us humans are all different, if we were all the same life would be much easier.

Vaccines have been created in very short order to try and reduce deaths, they have, get your body prepared if you do catch C19 to deal with it, if it can, but doesn't stop you catching it...

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:11 AM, sawadee1947 said:

It's about the case fatality percentage of all Covid cases. Not those connected to covid only. 

And this is 10 percent, which can be easily varified by hospitals.

So not even similar to Flu by far. 

Do we agree ☺️?

Well, I’m 70, a bit obese, quadruple cardiac bypass surgery, borderline diabetic.   Got Covid back in January five days after my Moderna booster. (Marked it on the calendar. Tested strong positive for Covid on two tests)

Was sick for two weeks.  Like a little bit worse than the common cold. Never even slowed me down. I could function just as easily as usual. 
   I’ve had the Flu several times in the past, and the Flu was much much worse.  WAY worse. Totally bed ridden and soaked in sweat from high fever. 
  If you were to tell me that starting tomorrow I had to have either Covid, or the Flu, my choice…..I would say give me Covid. Whatever you do, don’t give me the Flu. 

I wore the [face masks] long enough. And it didn’t stop me from getting Covid five days after my first booster. 

I’m done wearing those...  It’s wonderful to be able to walk around breathing free after covering my face for so long. 

Keep wearing them if you wish. I do believe in freedom. I won’t think badly of you if you mask up. 

Try not to think badly of those of us who are finished with masking and wish to breath free and see faces again. 

You really hate the masks don't you.  It is a mask, just a mask...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Many Thais hate the masks as much as many farangs but feel they have to wear it to not 'look dirty' in the eyes of judgmental people, that's what I'm hearing from the wife and those of friends here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

Well, I’m 70, a bit obese, quadruple cardiac bypass surgery, borderline diabetic.   Got Covid back in January five days after my Moderna booster. (Marked it on the calendar. Tested strong positive for Covid on two tests)

Was sick for two weeks.  Like a little bit worse than the common cold. Never even slowed me down. I could function just as easily as usual. 
   I’ve had the Flu several times in the past, and the Flu was much much worse.  WAY worse. Totally bed ridden and soaked in sweat from high fever. 
  If you were to tell me that starting tomorrow I had to have either Covid, or the Flu, my choice…..I would say give me Covid. Whatever you do, don’t give me the Flu. 

There have been different types of C19, I would suggest each would affect folk differently. Same as flu....

Folk die from C19 and flu, fact..

I’m done wearing those...  It’s wonderful to be able to walk around breathing free after covering my face for so long. 

I enjoyed not wearing a mask when I was in the UK, and enjoy not wearing one here if I am walking down the street.  But are you saying the guy wasn't a jerk by being the only one on a busy train carriage that wasn't wearing one?  Especially considering the rules say you should.  I maintain he was an considerate jerk, not someone exercising their "freedom".   Up to you.

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Lucky to survive Covid and Not suffering from Long Covid.

Sure in both cases (Covid and flu) you'll get a chance to die.

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Coincidence?  I happily stopped wearing my mask as soon as the mandate was lifted.  Yesterday, I tested positive for Covid! ????????

you can run but you cant hide.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:25 PM, 86Tiger said:

The entire world is over this.

But not LOS.

The 'entire world' is not. At all.

There are still countries where masks are mandatory on public transportation, and for good reason. It's insane how many people are still diying from COVID or being left with serious long-term effects after recovering from infection. Pretending it isn't happening won't make things better.

As always since this thing started (although you'd think some people would have learnt something), the thread is full of comments by armchair know-it-alls who believe they know better than trained doctor and scientists. Seriously, what a joke.

Edited by Dalewhatdale
  • Thanks 2

On 7/6/2022 at 4:01 AM, Catoni said:

As if the masks actually work. Studies now around the world show that they stop less than 30% of the virus...

...You need at MINIMUM..an N-95 filtering respirator with no valve, to make any meaningful difference .  That’s science. 

Nonsense. That's what you call science. As mentioned in this academic review written by actual scientists:

"A simple mask cut from a t-shirt achieved a fit score of 67, offering substantial protection from the challenge aerosol and showing good fit with minimal leakage."

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2014564118

There's more:

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0264389

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41398-022-01814-3

Masks DO work in the community setting by reducing transmission, and even a basic one is far better than no mask.

Edited by Dalewhatdale
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dalewhatdale said:

The 'entire world' is not. At all.

There are still countries where masks are mandatory on public transportation, and for good reason.

Yes, and they are very much in minority. At least in Europe it is roughly 5 countries masking vs. 45 not doing it.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:31 PM, SooKee said:

The conclusions these jerks jump to never cease to amaze me.  The evidence to show that the uptick in covid infection is due to the lifting of the mask mandate is what exactly?  Coincidence doesn't equal scientific evidence.  

That Thailand can even contemplate announcing that Covid is endemic is just bizarre given that at the slightest issue it's panic, panic, panic, lock down, masks on. ????

Not panic, panic.

It is Control...control.

Thai people are controlled.

They just do not realise it.

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You really hate the masks don't you.  It is a mask, just a mask...

Fine, then you wear it. I won’t criticize you. It’s “,,just a mask”.  But for those of us who’ve had enough of the face condom…let us breathe free again.  
  I wore the mask religiously until I had my first two shots, and then my first booster, followed five days later by getting Covid anyways even though I had the shots and wore the mask and used hand sanitizer. . 
   After I was cleared from Covid….  that was it for me…
   No More Obedience Face Diaper. 
  Don’t criticize me for not wearing one. I won’t criticize you if you choose to wear one.  Fair ?    Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I enjoyed not wearing a mask when I was in the UK, and enjoy not wearing one here if I am walking down the street.  But are you saying the guy wasn't a jerk by being the only one on a busy train carriage that wasn't wearing one?  Especially considering the rules say you should.  I maintain he was an considerate jerk, not someone exercising their "freedom".   Up to you.

If he was fully vaccinated and boosted and not sick…then No…he was not being an inconsiderate jerk.  
   He was breathing free. Obeying common sense laws, and not being obedient about nonsense dictates from our overlords. 
   The jerks are those who believe people should obey whatever “laws”, rules and dictates our “Great Leaders” wish to impose on us. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Catoni said:

If he was fully vaccinated and boosted and not sick…then No…he was not being an inconsiderate jerk.  
   He was breathing free. Obeying common sense laws, and not being obedient about nonsense dictates from our overlords. 
   The jerks are those who believe people should obey whatever “laws”, rules and dictates our “Great Leaders” wish to impose on us. 

You are stuck on being controlled when your not.