Leading Thai doctors calling for mask mandate to be reinstated

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

That's WRONG, but many people think as you.

The flu case fatality rate is not more than 0,2 %. Whereas the number for Sars-Covid is 10%.

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid.

Think twice ????

You seem to have taken an example of how they work out what a case fatality rate using simple numbers (the exactly 10% should be a clue) and are using this number to post misleading information as though it is fact.  Here is the context from that link:

"The CFR is easy to calculate. You take the number of people who have died from the disease, and you divide it by the total number of people diagnosed with the disease. So if 10 people have died, and 100 people have been diagnosed with the disease, the CFR is [10 / 100], or 10%."

Notice the use of the words "so if 10 people etc..."

3 minutes ago, actonion said:

If only these Doctors worried more about the local hygiene  in Thailand  we'd  all  be  a lot more healthier  maybe 

Hygiene, road safety, food safety, clean air, healthy eating, etc., etc.  No bandwagon or gravy-train for healthy, confident people, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

That's WRONG, but many people think as you.

The flu case fatality rate is not more than 0,2 %. Whereas the number for Sars-Covid is 10%.

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid.

Think twice ????

Wrong; 

The figure you quote is "The case fatality rate (CFR) [which]is the ratio between confirmed deaths and confirmed cases. The CFR can be a poor measure of the mortality risk of the disease."

The above statement (in italcs) is from the source you quoted and is the disclaimer attached to the figure you are quoting.

It is not the figure for actual deaths atributed purely to covid.

Edited by DezLez

15 hours ago, new2here said:

to me,  remembering that almost all aspects of the whole C19 issue carrie’s with it a large political aspect, I don’t think the government can really “afford” to go back and mandate masks again.

To me, doing so, plays right into the oppositions narrative that the government isn’t in control, can’t control it or otherwise — true or not… it plays right into that narrative.

So, i think that for the government to effectively backtrack so soon, is both a loss-of-face but also hands the governments opponents a solid talking point.

What I do think the government can do, is to exert so-called soft-power and play to the nationalistic aspect… just from my view only, the mask wearing rate remains quite high even though it’s not mandatory outside any longer.. so i don’t think it’s too much of a stretch for the government to play the “keep thailand safe” type of card as opposed to formally backtracking to a hard mandate.   

I was out around the local market in rural Kamphaeng Phet today, once again unmasked but with a mask visible in my pocket. About 5% of the Thais were also unmasked but nobody said anything about the mask. IMHO Thais are slowly unmasking.

These doctors, immunologists are shouting about Covid spreading, but not quoting any numbers or locations.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stoner said:

hahaha what an utter joke and disgrace these people are. 

the world has moved on from the big bad covid....time to grow up thailand 

Every man, women and his Soi dog around me have the infection... far greater numbers than with Delta.

My mask definitely stays on.

• Like 2

So, according to one camp, one mask on their face is simply not enough.

It requires two masks to prevent infection ....

One on the fearful, and one on the folks who smile back when Death stares them in the eye.

5 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Saw a westerner speeding along the other day on his scooter - mask on helmet off..got his priorities right..moron.

I'd say almost impossible is the statistical reality of catching covid on a scooter...but all the lemmings still wearing them in that scenario after the mandate was removed....only reason I wore it prior to then in that scenario was to avoid a penalty perhaps at helmet/license checkpoints.

What happens when the scooter stops at traffic lights and there are 50+ scooters in close proximity. If none had masks

Would you still say the statistical reality is "Almost Impossible" for catching Covid.

Then multiply the possibility at every traffic light stop and consider the cross contamination with different scooter riders

• Haha 2

Yes, it's about time for Anutin to do another of his "flip flops" and change his mind again!

So, he is already discouraging the lower end of the tourist market by saying that Thailand doesn't want them (yes, he is speaking for the country! ????) and now (if he sides with these "experts") he will be discouraging the upper end of the market because "millionaires" won't walk around with masks on when they can pick and choose their holiday destinations anyway (It will be a hard enough job anyway to get them to look upon Thailand as a "luxury" destination!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

The way things are at the moment everyone has a choice to wear one or not; so why all the bleating at each other in the 'wear one' and 'not wear one' camps ?    Do what you want to do and let others do the same and respect their personal decisions.   Indeed; what others do is actually none of our business, so let them get on with it !

Those who don't wear them are happy to let others wear them. Those who wear them are not happy about others not wearing them. Slight distinction.

Edited by goatfarmer
Correction
  • Like 2

I'm hoping for an entire lock down again, as in early 2020 ...

... but that's just me, being selfish ... ME ME ME

Although, have to ditch the vax'd/test requirement to visit Phuket, as I want to go back again with no tourist there.  That was awesome ????