Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Leading Thai doctors calling for mask mandate to be reinstated

snoop1130

10 hours ago, stoner said:

as you can see by the reaction to our comments which side the majority of the public stands on this issue now. 

you are in the minority now with that attitude and approach to the virus situation. 

so everyone on your soi has a sniffle then ?  

I maybe in the minority, but that does not mean my decision is not the best one for me.

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are right to a certain extent, it is about signalling, signalling respect for the local population, but that would be an alien concept to many.

I know of no country where wearing a mask is a local custom of showing respect.  Perhaps some aboriginal tribe in some jungle I am not aware of. Maybe you would wear an animal mask or spirit mask in such a situation. 
   Other than that….no such place.  
      Not to mention, how are you supposed to eat your meal and have your drink? Perhaps lift the mask, shove some food in, and lower the mask while you chew?   Apparently there was some California politician that told us we should do that. Only raise or lower your mask while putting food or drink in…then cover up with you mask while you chew and swallow.   No…seriously…that’s what they tried to tell us. No joke, this is not April 1. 
  Could you enlighten us please? 

Edited by Catoni
Correction

15 hours ago, Purdey said:

Just to make it clear.

1. It was a request to do so by a concerned father and we knew it would reduce the risk of catching Covid (and thereafter passing it on). 

2. We agreed to wear a mask as we had to walk through the restaurant. Kind of obvious I thought.

3. We all took tests beforehand to see that we were negative. While we would not give it to anyone, the real risk was catching it going through the restaurant unmasked.

4. Being in the open air, and the only table there, there was little to no risk of infection from other patrons. The waiter wore a mask.

As you probably know, a cloth mask reduces the risk by 56%, respirators by a lot more.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm

Wear one if you wish. Your choice.

It is my choice and many others, to not wear one. I wore a mask religiously at first, got my two initial Pfizer shots. Then I got my Moderna booster. And five days after my booster, I got Covid. (Tested strong positive for Covid twice)

I’m also supposed to be in the group that ends up in intensive care and on a ventilator and die. (70years old, obese, quadruple cardiac bypass, borderline diabetic). 
  It was no worse than the common cold. Never even slowed me down. 

So wear you mask if you wish.  I believe in freedom of choice and would never insist you remove it.

Just respect other’s freedom of choice also.  Don’t tell us to put one on.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, paulikens said:

@jacko45k I don't know anyone who would cough or sneeze over someone with or without a mask, even if someone didn't have a mask on they would cover their mouth or nose.  what sort of people are you with? and what sort of places are you hanging about in? 

You are joking...here in Thailand they can't even chew with their mouths closed. The coughing and sneezing indiscretions are often more to do with westerners though. Putting a hand over nose or mouth really isn't sufficient I feel in a pandemic situation.

15 hours ago, paulikens said:

@sandyf  the UK has over 300k cases a day not the paltry 2k that Thailand has. 

And why would that be?, countries have similar sized populations.

Off course it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the reluctance to wear a mask.

Hospitals are filling up again with huge waiting lists, people should be careful what they wish for.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I maybe in the minority, but that does not mean my decision is not the best one for me.

100 percent. and i will stand with you for your right to chose that.

will you stand with me also in my right to chose ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stoner said:

what if i came to thailand before mask mandates and covid ?

You unfortunately have to adapt and move along with the times.  As much as I would like to stay stuck in the past I must move forward or get trampled by the process of moving forward.  How do you think Rumpelstiltskin would feel waking up in todays time. 

5 hours ago, stoner said:

100 percent. and i will stand with you for your right to chose that.

will you stand with me also in my right to chose ? 

Absolutely.. freedom of choice, you do as you wish.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

And why would that be?, countries have similar sized populations.

Off course it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the reluctance to wear a mask.

Hospitals are filling up again with huge waiting lists, people should be careful what they wish for.

@sandyf "Hospitals are filling up again"   utter nonsense.  resort to lying because you are losing the argument, you'd make a good politician!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lorry said:

Why do people who don't like masks have to come to Asia, where people like masks? 

I don't.

You can mask up all your life, but it is not going to make covid go away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulikens said:

@sandyf "Hospitals are filling up again"   utter nonsense.  resort to lying because you are losing the argument, you'd make a good politician!

You better do some research my friend the hospitals are having in increase in covid patients.  Just watched the PPTV evening news where it was discussed.  Also an article in the paper we can not link to but here is this for your edification

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/covid-hospitalisations-rising-in-thailand-but-ccsa-says-no-new-preventative-measures

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40017376

Dr Chakkarat Pittayawonganon, director of DDC’s Bureau of Epidemiology, said the number of Covid-19 patients being hospitalised has risen in Bangkok and surrounding areas, as well as in provinces popular with tourists. 

However, he said, the hospital bed occupancy rate is at 20 to 30 per cent, far lower than the 50-per cent limit. He also said there is plenty of medical supplies to treat all Covid-19 patients. 

“There will be a small Covid-19 wave from July 1, pushing up the number of patients requiring treatment,” he said. 

19 hours ago, Lorry said:

Why do people who don't like masks have to come to Asia, where people like masks? 

They don't, I was in Thailand for over a decade before Covid and the overwhelming majority of Thais never wore masks. That's a BS stereotype, like saying Brits don't rinse the dishes when washing up or Frenchies like garlic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You unfortunately have to adapt and move along with the times.  As much as I would like to stay stuck in the past I must move forward or get trampled by the process of moving forward.  How do you think Rumpelstiltskin would feel waking up in todays time. 

you and thailand are in the minority ryan. sorry my friend but facts are facts. 

the vast vast majority of all humans now are NOT wearing a mask. fact. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

They don't, I was in Thailand for over a decade before Covid and the overwhelming majority of Thais never wore masks. That's a BS stereotype, like saying Brits don't rinse the dishes when washing up or Frenchies like garlic.

You just never paid attention as I said before, you just like to believe your right when your wrong on this one.  We have worn them, my Thai family has worn them for many many years.  The Thais around us also wore them during the Bird Flu and the SARS scare in 2017 as well.  I fact I even wore them with my family on the flights from Korea to BKK in 2017 when we came for a family visit. 

Thais have worn masks for many reasons one reason was during the 2003 bird flu crisis, and in 2006 along with SARS in 2017.

https://focusweb.org/the-politics-of-bird-flu-in-thailand/

Thais have worn masks for many reasons one reason was during the 2003 bird flu crisis, and in 2006 along with SARS in 2017.  

https://www.voanews.com/a/science-health_coronavirus-outbreak_not-just-coronavirus-asians-have-worn-face-masks-decades/6185597.html

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/east-asian-countries-face-masks-before-covid_l_5f63a43fc5b61845586837f4

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stoner said:

you and thailand are in the minority ryan. sorry my friend but facts are facts. 

the vast vast majority of all humans now are NOT wearing a mask. fact. 

Vast Majority outside of Asia my friend, outside of Asia.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

pre covid mask wearing was at best 5 to 7 percent of the thai population. a huge minority.

the vast majority of thai didnt wear one before either. 

Your view, so lets agree to disagree, as masks have been worn, look at some history.  Asia is a different animal compared to the west.

1 minute ago, rattlesnake said:

Of course it is part of the culture here to wear a mask in exceptional circumstances. But 24/7 masking for 100% of the population for over 30 months is unprecedented and claiming it is in any way normal and customary is just presposterous and distorting reality.

I also want to take this oppotunity to add something: users of this forum love posting links to prove their points, which is a shame as it is not conducivce to constructive and dialectical argumentation. Anyone can type anything on Google and come up with several results which fit their view. Posting a link is not proof you are right.

Time to give it a rest. You lost the debate. Good-night 

23 minutes ago, stoner said:

pre covid mask wearing was at best 5 to 7 percent of the thai population. a huge minority.

the vast majority of thai didnt wear one before either. 

Indeed, and I find it incredible (and even a bit disturbing) that anyone should claim otherwise.

• Like 1