LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

I have an appointment to receive a LTR Visa for Wealthy Pensioners at One Stop Service Center (OSS).

On the BOI website under the heading Wealthy Pensioner - Application Process – Visa Issuance – Dress Code Guidelines for Appointment Date - a pictorial displays a cartoon of a man wearing a suit and tie. Individual cutouts of a cartoon suit and pants are also shown.

Above the pictorial is a message (warning) stating - * Remarks: * Please dress politely in proper formal clothes and shoes. The immigration officer reserves the right to refuse service if inappropriate clothing is observed.

I am a large framed fashionably challenged individual living on a rural farm and do not have a suit or tie. I have made several fruitless attempts to purchase a suitable suit online.

For those who already have a BOI LTR Visa for Wealthy Pensioners - were you required to wear a suit and tie – or did you happen to observe any one denied a BOI LTR Visa for a dress code violation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, hcvc said:

I have an appointment to receive a LTR Visa for Wealthy Pensioners at One Stop Service Center (OSS).

On the BOI website under the heading Wealthy Pensioner - Application Process – Visa Issuance – Dress Code Guidelines for Appointment Date - a pictorial displays a cartoon of a man wearing a suit and tie. Individual cutouts of a cartoon suit and pants are also shown.

Above the pictorial is a message (warning) stating - * Remarks: * Please dress politely in proper formal clothes and shoes. The immigration officer reserves the right to refuse service if inappropriate clothing is observed.

I am a large framed fashionably challenged individual living on a rural farm and do not have a suit or tie. I have made several fruitless attempts to purchase a suitable suit online.

For those who already have a BOI LTR Visa for Wealthy Pensioners - were you required to wear a suit and tie – or did you happen to observe any one denied a BOI LTR Visa for a dress code violation?

I wore a pair of jeans (no holes), long sleeve shirt with collar.  No tie.  No jacket.   Decent pair of shoes too.  

No “Bag of Fruit” (Suit) needed.  Good luck cobber. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, hcvc said:

I wore a short sleeved white shirt (with collar), with a tie ... and I also wore an "off-the-shelf purchased" sports jacket (looks like a very informal suit jacket), long pants, and shoes.  After I finished with BoI and then in possession of an LTR visa (when in the elevator heading down) I took off the tie. When in the skytrain later, I took after the sports jacket (and hand carried it). 

I suspect you will be able to find an appropriate shirt and tie from somewhere.  Possibly the sports jacket might be the hardest part - but I would think it possible to find such.  Although it would be overkill - its not difficult to find tailors in Thailand who are more than eager to make a sports jacket (or a suit) for someone willing to spend the money.  You won't need a perfect fit, so no need to go for the most expensive tailor (if it should come to that).

Edited by oldcpu

1 hour ago, hcvc said:

I wore a pair of jeans, trainers and a polo neck t-shirt same as when I travel through most airports. No member of staff looked at me in a condescending manner. Inside the BOI office I did notice that some other visa applicants were wearing similar clothes to mine and some were wearing proper trousers and long sleeve shirt.

2 hours ago, hcvc said:

I wore trousers and a collared shirt.

But there were 2 other foreigners also receiving theirs on the same day and one them had knee length shorts and a tshirt. As long as you are clean, don't dress like a backpacker and act politely it will not be an issue.

I found that their attitude was excellent. Treated me very nicely, like I was a paying customer for a product they were keen to sell (which I was). I was expecting them to begrudgingly slap it on the table like an immigration official stamping me in at the airport but it was much better than expected.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hcvc said:

Like others, I just wore long pants and a short-sleeved collared shirt, with boat shoes.

On two occasions (I accompanied some friends to BoI as well), I did see applicants sent downstairs to the little retail mall at Chamchuri to buy long trousers, because they had come to the office in shorts. I'm fairly certain those two were there for some kind of investment visa rather than the LTR, but it's still a good idea to avoid shorts on LTR day. No suit or tie required, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Just received my LTR this week.  No suit and tie.  Just think they don't want  you to show up in baggies, flip flops and tank top.  Trousers and decent shirt will do the trick.

Congratulations on your LTR! 

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Just received my LTR this week.  No suit and tie.  Just think they don't want  you to show up in baggies, flip flops and tank top.  Trousers and decent shirt will do the trick.

Yep, and a Kippah...

• Haha 1

I flew in to Chiang Mai last night 16/5/2024. I did not look for a fast lane as I was number three off the plane. It did take them awhile to sort through my LTR (four people looking at it trying to decide what to do) but in the end they stamped it correctly. So it is still fairly new to some of the immigration people. I would guess as more of us go in and out of the different airports in Thailand it will get quicker. 

Fyi

Regards,

• Agree 1

My understanding with the LTR Visa, you dont need to file a tax return if you stay in Thailand for more than 183 days a year in a tax year. You dont pay tax on your overseas earnings and you wont need to pay tax on the money you bring into Thailand to pay for your living expenses. Is this also the case with the Elite Visa as trying to workout best option for me. I did look on the Elite Visa website but this information was not covered.

3 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

My understanding with the LTR Visa, you dont need to file a tax return if you stay in Thailand for more than 183 days a year in a tax year. You dont pay tax on your overseas earnings and you wont need to pay tax on the money you bring into Thailand to pay for your living expenses. Is this also the case with the Elite Visa as trying to workout best option for me. I did look on the Elite Visa website but this information was not covered.

My understanding of your information on the LTR is the same - though there is a discussion whether you are only entitled to remit previous years income into Thailand and pay no tax.  No Tax Return needed (this was posted by another member some time ago).  

The Thailand Elite (having had one previous) was considered a Tourist Visa.  Therefore it would be my understanding that under the new RD Directive you would be liable to file and pay taxes (after deductions) on remitted monies earned post 2023.  

However I’m not Lawyer or Accountant and could be wrong but that’s how I see the state of things. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

On 4-24-24 I received the email stating my application has been endorsed and I should update information and upload any additional documents (none requested).  I had sent the BOI an email asking when the 60-day countdown started for me to either pay for the e-visa or show up at the BOI.  The BOI responded to my email stating that the 60-day clock hadn't started yet since I hadn't updated my information picking a visa issuance location.

Fast forward to now and I am scheduled to arrive on 7-15-24 which should comply with the 60-day countdown depending on when Immigration issues the endorsement memo.

I am struggling with the website.  I update my address to the hotel I have booked in BKK (currently still in the US).  I also indicated that I would be on visa exempt status issued at the BKK airport on 7-15-24.  I think that's all of the updates needed, but no matter what I cannot get the webpage to indicate that it has accepted my updates.

The LTR tab of the website states "Your LTR application is in process". How do I proceed?  Do I need to remove & reattach my previously reviewed and approved documents?  My understanding is I'm on step 5 which means the BOI has reviewed my case but Immigration hasn't formally approved it yet.  Once that happens I'll be able to schedule my BOI appointment.

4-24 Status Screen.PNG

Edited by Lost Nomad

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

Lost Nomad, why not email BOI. They usually reply within 10 minutes during business hours and they seem really helpful.

I have but this morning's response didn't address the deadline date.  I responded and am waiting on their follow up response.  I think the BOI answer I received in April stating that the 60-day clock hadn't started yet may have been wrong and my deadline for paying at the BOI is 6-23-24.

This is the notifications screen from the non-mobile webpage.  For those that have had to print the Endorsement Letter for the in-person BOI payment, does that date match the date on your Notifications screen?  I suspect if I would select to receive visa at the BOI the system would allow me to schedule a date after my 7-15-24 arrival even though the endorsement had expired.

I suspect I'll need to delete the whole application and start the process from step 1 if I can't pay at the BOI  until mid-July.

4-24 Notifications.PNG

Edited by Lost Nomad
  • Like 1

My understanding is the 60 day period starts from the date on your endorsement memo....that is, the memo consisting of a one page memo on letterhead signed by a BOI HiSo with a one page spreadsheet/chart attached.  The memo states the 60 day end date.  Basically you have those 60 days to get the LTR visa issued/stamped into your passport; otherwise, it's return to go and start all over.

21 hours ago, Lost Nomad said:

On 4-24-24 I received the email stating my application has been endorsed and I should update information and upload any additional documents (none requested).  I had sent the BOI an email asking when the 60-day countdown started for me to either pay for the e-visa or show up at the BOI.  The BOI responded to my email stating that the 60-day clock hadn't started yet since I hadn't updated my information picking a visa issuance location.

Fast forward to now and I am scheduled to arrive on 7-15-24 which should comply with the 60-day countdown depending on when Immigration issues the endorsement memo.

I am struggling with the website.  I update my address to the hotel I have booked in BKK (currently still in the US).  I also indicated that I would be on visa exempt status issued at the BKK airport on 7-15-24.  I think that's all of the updates needed, but no matter what I cannot get the webpage to indicate that it has accepted my updates.

The LTR tab of the website states "Your LTR application is in process". How do I proceed?  Do I need to remove & reattach my previously reviewed and approved documents?  My understanding is I'm on step 5 which means the BOI has reviewed my case but Immigration hasn't formally approved it yet.  Once that happens I'll be able to schedule my BOI appointment.

4-24 Status Screen.PNG

My experience is almost identical to yours.  Applied while in US and received "qualification endorsement" and to upload additional documents.  What additional docs? Thought I should be able to schedule my appointment but no instructions on how to do so.  I contacted them and they were very clear on the next steps.  Can't get appointment unless you're in Thailand.  So you arrive in Thailand visa exempt get your 30 day stamp.  Then send 30 day stamp to them by email (not the application website) That is the "additional documents" they refer to and confirmed the 60 days start when they receive that.  Then on the application website the "schedule application" appears.  Went very smooth and last week received my LTR. Good luck.

• Agree 1

Thanks to Pib and Sabaiguy for the info.  That puts my mind at ease a bit.  I was hoping to have the appointment scheduled before arriving in BKK, but I guess that's not to be since I'm opting for BOI payment while in the US.

Sabaiguy:  Since your situation was similar to mine, did you wait to update/select BOI location until you were in BKK?  I'm not sure if I should submit it now and indicate on the step 5 "update" that my BKK hotel address will be xxx and that I will be arriving visa exempt on 7-15-24.  Once I'm boots on the ground I can email the visa exempt page and schedule.

• Thumbs Up 1