LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

OK Folks,

I just received an email from the LTR.BOI unit. As I already knew my HI insurance for my PCH Policy here in the Country ends on November 22nd, and my US policy I also supplied has it's annual policy period ending at the end of the year, but is a lifetime medical policy.  I am in the process of Renewing my PCH Policy early to show that it continues onward.

Here is what I was sent:

With regards to the application No. LTRWPxxxxxx registered on September 5, 2022.

Please note that your health insurance does not meet the LTR criteria (Health insurance policy covering entire course of stay in Thailand, with coverage for hospitalization treatment of no less than 50,000 USD.) 

Please send new Health insurance policy with coverage for hospitalization treatment of no less than 50,000 USD after you get approval, but before making the visa issuance.

If no additional evidence is requested, you will be notified of the result on September 30, 2022 (decision timeframes will take 20 working days from September 5, 2022 excluding weekends and public holidays).

Kind regards,

LTR Visa Unit

Not expecting any more evidence requests.

TR.

That's a major bummer. Now, I don't want to split hair, but assuming the BOI refers to your US policy, the answer quoted above does not tell you which part of the requirement your insurance fails: is it the minimum $50K coverage,  or the "Health insurance policy covering entire course of stay in Thailand" ? The latter's wording is odd since they want a 10-months proof of validity to deliver a 5-years visa, when the visa prolongation/renewal date is taken into account. If it is the 50K coverage missing, on what do they base their refusal and what do they want as proof?

Edited by Northwest87

1 hour ago, Northwest87 said:

That's a major bummer. Now, I don't want to split hair, but assuming the BOI refers to your US policy, the answer quoted above does not tell you which part of the requirement your insurance fails: is it the minimum $50K coverage,  or the "Health insurance policy covering entire course of stay in Thailand" ? The latter's wording is odd since they want a 10-months proof of validity to deliver a 5-years visa, when the visa prolongation/renewal date is taken into account. If it is the 50K coverage missing, on what do they base their refusal and what do they want as proof?

It's the time that I have left on the policy that's the issue. My US policy is unlimited and my Thai policy covers up to 20 million Thb per incidence.

However late last night I received a notification by email  of Final approval from the system.. the top portion in Thai indicates I need to make an appointment.  I would surmise through what was in the earlier email I need to show my new policy at that time  I guess we will see next week when my policy renewal for PCH will be in hand. Of course I will submit it through the website first to see if it is they who assign the appointment 

Here was the email from the 

Systemmailex@boi gov 

Smart visa document no LTRWPxxxxxx has been approved..

Dear All,

Please be advised the request below.

การพิจารณาคุณสมบัติได้รับการอนุมัติ กรุณานัดหมายประทับตรา

หมายเลขเอกสาร: LTRWPxxxxxxxx
ประเภทวีซ่า: Wealthy Pensioners
วันที่ยื่นคำขอ: 05-09-2022
ชื่อ-สกุล: xxxxxxxxxxxxxl
อีเมล:  
เบอร์โทรศัพท์:  
สถานะ: Final Approved

เจ้าหน้าที่ที่รับผิดชอบ: Auttapol Boontam
อีเมล: [email protected]
เบอร์โทรศัพท์:  

Please contact your respective if the information above is inaccurate.

Best regards,

The Board of Investment of Thailand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It's the time that I have left on the policy that's the issue. My US policy is unlimited and my Thai policy covers up to 20 million Thb per incidence.

However late last night I received a notification by email of Final approval from the system.. the top portion in Thai indicates I need to make an appointment. I would surmise through what was in the earlier email I need to show my new policy at that time I guess we will see next week when my policy renewal for PCH will be in hand. Of course I will submit it through the website first to see if it is they who assign the appointment 

Here was the email from the 

Systemmailex@boi gov 

Smart visa document no LTRWPxxxxxx has been approved..

Dear All,

Please be advised the request below.

Eligibility Consideration Approved Please make an appointment to seal.

Document number: LTRWPxxxxxxxxx
Visa type: Wealthy Pensioners
Application submission date: 05-09-2022
Name-Last Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxl
Email:  
telephone number:  

Responsible staff: Auttapol Boontam
Email: [email protected]
telephone number:  

Please contact your respective if the information above is inaccurate.

Best regards,

The Board of Investment of Thailand

Yes, according to the BOI stated rules, after final approval, there is a 60 day deadline to make actual application of the visa. So, I would assume at that actual Visa application appointment is when we would need to show the insurance policy with 10 months remaining. So, I assume for those of us on calendar year renewals, that we would want to perform all the steps you have done just prior to January 1, then make actual visa application, supplying renewal policy proof, and that would then result in the appointment date to get the "seal" Visa (either at foreign embassy/consulate or at Thailand Immigration (if in country).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question for all who have applied:

Have any of you received an email from "systemmailex.boi.gov.th"  This is where the last e-mail arose from that shows Final Approved.  I also just received 3 more with different LTRWP numbers listed showing either denied or a Request for Additional Information with nothing listed, and then one with a LTWGWC number. 

The numbers on each of these e-mails does not list the LTRWP number on the website under my Check Status.  I fired off an e-mail just a few ago to the [email protected] e-mail where I had gotten the response regarding my health insurance from and the actual e-mail many of us have used in the past to contact the BOI regarding the LTR. 

My concern now is that like the Thai Pass system debacle, that the LTR unit is being spoofed.  Maybe I am just being paranoid

Has anyone found any info especially from the Thailand revenue department about the tax you'll need to pay if on the work from Thailand option? If it's tax free for the income from the overseas employer on the thai side, that would be actually funny as I just found out today that if you live overseas and you are paid by your Australian employer, they don't have to actually pay Australian tax which means if there is no tax on the Thai side, you could do it legally tax free anyway.

1 hour ago, DjChris28 said:

Has anyone found any info especially from the Thailand revenue department about the tax you'll need to pay if on the work from Thailand option? If it's tax free for the income from the overseas employer on the thai side, that would be actually funny as I just found out today that if you live overseas and you are paid by your Australian employer, they don't have to actually pay Australian tax which means if there is no tax on the Thai side, you could do it legally tax free anyway.

Worth getting an official opinion, but isn't this where the reduced 17% Thai marginal tax rate comes into play for at least two of the visa types?  My understanding is if working in Thailand, the income is Thai-sourced - and therefore subject to Thai tax, regardless of the location of employer.

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Right from the start I found out that I have to travel to Bangkok to get the Visa stamped into my passport.

Where'd you get that information from? But, it wouldn't surprise me that only major Imm offices (or just one) would warrant being brought up to speed by BoI.

Edited by JimGant

16 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Where'd you get that information from? But, it wouldn't surprise me that only major Imm offices (or just one) would warrant being brought up to speed by BoI.

When you post your application on line, you can chose the embassy where you want to pick up your visa if you live abroad. If your residence is Thailand, there is only one choices, in Bangkok.

Remember visas aren't delivered by Immigration, this will be an exception.

Edited by Boomer6969

2 hours ago, Misty said:

Worth getting an official opinion, but isn't this where the reduced 17% Thai marginal tax rate comes into play for at least two of the visa types?  My understanding is if working in Thailand, the income is Thai-sourced - and therefore subject to Thai tax, regardless of the location of employer.

Out of interest, does anyone know what exchange rate is used for "Thai sourced income" that is paid abroad by your foreign employer and never brought into Thailand? If you do bring the money into Thailand, is the correct exchange rate based on the exchange rate at the time of the transfer or the rate when it was earned? Can you subtract the cost of the transfer from the payable tax?

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Out of interest, does anyone know what exchange rate is used for "Thai sourced income" that is paid abroad by your foreign employer and never brought into Thailand? If you do bring the money into Thailand, is the correct exchange rate based on the exchange rate at the time of the transfer or the rate when it was earned? Can you subtract the cost of the transfer from the payable tax?

Haven't seen this done at the individual level, but for what it's worth, when my Thai company receives USD  revenue, the revenue is recognized at the Bank of Thailand's THB:USD exchange rate from the day before the funds were received in my company's foreign bank account.  The top line revenue number doesn't change whether I leave the funds in USD for awhile or bring them into Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, Boomer6969 said:

Remember visas aren't delivered by Immigration, this will be an exception.

Well, Imm does issue Non Imm O visas, to folks entering on Tourist visas, or visa exempt, wanting eventual retirement extensions. But instead of having your one-time Non Imm O visa instantly "used," followed by a 90 day permission of stay -- a five year LTR visa stamp is stamped (affixed), followed by a one-year permission of stay stamp. Thus, you're now free to travel, receiving a new one-year permission of stay stamp upon each re-entry -- akin to receiving a one-year permission of stay stamp upon reentry with a still valid OA visa. Great for frequent travelers -- just travel often, return with a one-year permission of stay, and as long as you keep doing this, never ever have to visit Imm for a day's ordeal of paperwork.

But, for us old, no longer traveling folks, I can only see I'll still have to visit Imm once a year to get a new one-year permission of stay. Even Elite Visa holders need to do this, if no longer actively traveling. But this is something I had hoped to avoid -- ever again having to visit Imm.  I guess if they had a program, to come to my house once a year and pick up my passport, to deliver to Imm without my needing to accompany -- that would be nice.

But, it sounds like this is not the case. So, even if they held my hand at Imm (which I could pay a legitimate agent to do for peanuts), it doesn't sound worth it -- if I have to go to Imm once a year anyway. (Well, yeah, if LTR allows me to void the in-country health insurance requirement -- I might do it, with the savings I'd get with no premiums for in-country insurance.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

But this is something I had hoped to avoid -- ever again having to visit Imm. 

The LTR program apparently uses One Stop Service, not Bldg 1.   Back in the years when I worked for multinationals (before starting own company), One Stop Service was straight forward and shenanigan-free.  A dream as compared to more recent experiences at Bldg 1.

image.png.3bed25255a84a27d871328a93ad3ecf6.png

New e-mail today from the LTR Unit

Dear xxxx, 

First of all we're terribly sorry for taking so long to reply your email. We're currently inundated with thousands of inquiries for LTR visa. However we're thankful for your everyone's patience and interests in making Thailand your home.  Your document has been well-received. Your application is already under the final consideration process. We will contact you shortly. 

Kind regards,
LTR Visa Unit 

As for the other e-mails I received there has been no information on those which indicated an appointment for the sealing of the visa in my passport, maybe this is what they are waiting on.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 2:42 AM, ThailandRyan said:

New e-mail today from the LTR Unit

Dear xxxx, 

First of all we're terribly sorry for taking so long to reply your email. We're currently inundated with thousands of inquiries for LTR visa. However we're thankful for your everyone's patience and interests in making Thailand your home.  Your document has been well-received. Your application is already under the final consideration process. We will contact you shortly. 

Kind regards, 
LTR Visa Unit 

As for the other e-mails I received there has been no information on those which indicated an appointment for the sealing of the visa in my passport, maybe this is what they are waiting on.

"Final consideration process".  I think they like you.  I was able to reach someone by phone to ask if I can get approval (or not) by Sept 21 as I am in Thailand now and this would allow me to pay for the visa at Chamchuri Square office. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'll get this visa.  The closest Embassy to me in California is seven hour drive each way and I don't think I will be back in Thailand within the prescribed 60 day window to consummate my visa.  The guy I spoke with spoke English well and seemed like a nice guy but stated that approval takes 20 business days.  On their website it states 'within 20 days"

A bit of information to pass along.  I sent an email to the 'LTR Visa Unit' asking if property investments made in the past but no longer owned would be considered when meeting the requirement of $250,000 invested in Thailand if your yearly income is over $40,000 but less than $80,000.  I have bought a number of condos in foreign name but have sold all but one of them, investing well more than $250,000.  

The answer was no.  They did say that property currently owned would be considered.  The answer from the email:

Regarding to your inquiries on the investment criteria on Wealthy 
Pensioner, please be informed that we will consider your current investment on the date of your application submission.  The past property that is not your ownership at the present cannot be considered.

Has there been any publication by the Immigration Bureau on this new Long-Term Resident Visa?  I know the Board of Investment has published some rules (not very detailed) and is accepting applications but it seems the BOI is an entirely separate body from Immigration and I don't see how they can issue visas, which one would think is a function exclusive to Immigration.  I've seen nothing from Immigration on this topic.  

9 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Has there been any publication by the Immigration Bureau on this new Long-Term Resident Visa?  I know the Board of Investment has published some rules (not very detailed) and is accepting applications but it seems the BOI is an entirely separate body from Immigration and I don't see how they can issue visas, which one would think is a function exclusive to Immigration.  I've seen nothing from Immigration on this topic.  

Immigration has nothing to do with the Cabinet approved LTR Visa, it is the BOI from start to finish.  After approval you will be given an approval letter: Per the BOI PDF:

"Qualified applicants may proceed with applying for LTR Visa issuance at the Royal Thai Embassies/the Royal Thai Consulate Generals overseas or Immigration offices in Thailand within 60 days from the issuance date of the endorsement letter. The processing fee for the 10-year visa with multiple entry is 50,000 Baht per person"

The only thing immigration will do is affix the visa since it will be given initially as a 5 year visa in your passport after being authorized by the BOI.  Still not sure where the 50K is to be paid.  I am waiting on the final approval for my LTRWP endorsement since I applied on September 2nd, and have received an e-mail indicating it is under final consideration.

https://www.boi.go.th/upload/content/LTR.pdf

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Immigration has nothing to do with the Cabinet approved LTR Visa, it is the BOI from start to finish.  After approval you will be given an approval letter: Per the BOI PDF:

"Qualified applicants may proceed with applying for LTR Visa issuance at the Royal Thai Embassies/the Royal Thai Consulate Generals overseas or Immigration offices in Thailand within 60 days from the issuance date of the endorsement letter. The processing fee for the 10-year visa with multiple entry is 50,000 Baht per person"

The only thing immigration will do is affix the visa since it will be given initially as a 5 year visa in your passport after being authorized by the BOI.  Still not sure where the 50K is to be paid.  I am waiting on the final approval for my LTRWP endorsement since I applied on September 2nd, and have received an e-mail indicating it is under final consideration.

https://www.boi.go.th/upload/content/LTR.pdf

Thanks.  I've seen that pdf.  Well it sure seems strange if Immigration isn't even involved.  I can understand if there was a political push to get this done and since the objective was economic, the Board of Investment took the lead. But from an administrative perspective I wonder how it will work out.  Immigration will surely still have to be involved - for example in receiving and approving the annual reports, whatever they turn out to be, and in enforcement (e.g. imposing fines or cancellation if a LTR visa-holder breaches a requirement).  So they'll have to be liaising with the BOI on an ongoing basis, I guess.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks.  I've seen that pdf.  Well it sure seems strange if Immigration isn't even involved.  I can understand if there was a political push to get this done and since the objective was economic, the Board of Investment took the lead. But from an administrative perspective I wonder how it will work out.  Immigration will surely still have to be involved - for example in receiving and approving the annual reports, whatever they turn out to be, and in enforcement (e.g. imposing fines or cancellation if a LTR visa-holder breaches a requirement).  So they'll have to be liaising with the BOI on an ongoing basis, I guess.

That is the way I see it.  I know of plenty of folks who have a work permit issued through the BOI and they do their 90 day reports at the BOI instead of CW, and the B-Visa is issued through the BOI as well if they are working for a company aligned with the BOI.  As soon as I know more I will post again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is the way I see it.  I know of plenty of folks who have a work permit issued through the BOI and they do their 90 day reports at the BOI instead of CW, and the B-Visa is issued through the BOI as well if they are working for a company aligned with the BOI.  As soon as I know more I will post again.

Thanks, good luck with yours and yes please update.  I would love to see more detailed information on the requirements.  As for Immigration, maybe they've been pushed aside but bear in mind, a work permit is somewhat different from a visa.  It's the visa that gives you the right to be in the country and that's surely in Immigration's ultimate authority.  They're the ones who can turn you away on entry (or deport you if you're already here) if they decide your visa is invalid (even if for the LTR visa that involves them consulting with the BOI).  I'd expect them to issue regulations or one of those Police Orders that brings this visa within their overall scheme of who is allowed to be in the country, since they list all of the existing visa types.  But who knows ... This is Thailand ????

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

17 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks, good luck with yours and yes please update.  I would love to see more detailed information on the requirements.  As for Immigration, maybe they've been pushed aside but bear in mind, a work permit is somewhat different from a visa.  It's the visa that gives you the right to be in the country and that's surely in Immigration's ultimate authority.  They're the ones who can turn you away on entry (or deport you if you're already here) if they decide your visa is invalid (even if for the LTR visa that involves them consulting with the BOI).  I'd expect them to issue regulations or one of those Police Orders that brings this visa within their overall scheme of who is allowed to be in the country, since they list all of the existing visa types.  But who knows ... This is Thailand ????

The One Stop Service unit ThailandRyan mentions handles extensions of both visas and work permit (thus the "one stop").  If I remember correctly (its been a few years) there are units from both Immigration and Labour Dept in One Stop Service.  So working with One Stop Service wouldn't be bypassing Immigration.  Just working with a different section of Immigration.  IMHO, a section of Immigration that isn't obstructive.

For those outside of Thailand, the LTR unit said that Thai embassies or consulates will handle issuing the visa.  And then the One Stop Service would handle the work permit once in country.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pepper402 said:

"Final consideration process".  I think they like you.  I was able to reach someone by phone to ask if I can get approval (or not) by Sept 21 as I am in Thailand now and this would allow me to pay for the visa at Chamchuri Square office. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'll get this visa.  The closest Embassy to me in California is seven hour drive each way and I don't think I will be back in Thailand within the prescribed 60 day window to consummate my visa.  The guy I spoke with spoke English well and seemed like a nice guy but stated that approval takes 20 business days.  On their website it states 'within 20 days"

If you're in California, you'd apply for an e-visa through the LA Consulate. No need to drive seven hours each way or visit the consulate in person.

Has anyone confirmed whether, for the wealthy investor and wealthy pensioner categories, where they require investment in Thailand of $500,000/$250,000 in Thai government bonds, foreign direct investment or Thai property, you can invest in a mix of two or three of those categories (e.g. a split of bonds and property) to reach the 500K/250K threshhold?

5 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I can understand if there was a political push to get this done and since the objective was economic, the Board of Investment took the lead. But from an administrative perspective I wonder how it will work out.  Immigration will surely still have to be involved

Indeed. And it sounds like all must go to Bangkok (One Stop Service?) to get your LTR sticker visa. Then, you need your "permission of stay" stamp, which only comes from Immigration. And, "permission of stay" stamps only come in one flavor -- for ONE year (not five, meaning, a visit to Imm every year to get your new ONE year permission of stay stamp). What facility, then, would a LTR visa afford me, over my current "must visit Imm every year" for a one year stamp?

Anyway, read the threads on folks getting the Elite Visas, and how they have to leave and reenter Thailand to cancel their current stays, and get a new Elite related permission of stay. Thus, right now, there's a lot of loose ends to sort out for LTR visas, and I would surmise this will take awhile -- and, like with other matters involving Imm, each Imm headquarters will have its own interpretation on how to deal with LTR visas. As I said in a previous post -- be prepared to get a loud "DUH" at your local, non major, Imm office. Best sit back, relax, until this all sorts out -- if it ever does.... as Thai gov't operations are individual fiefdoms, with no one entity in charge. Welcome to the Orient.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Indeed. And it sounds like all must go to Bangkok (One Stop Service?) to get your LTR sticker visa. Then, you need your "permission of stay" stamp, which only comes from Immigration. And, "permission of stay" stamps only come in one flavor -- for ONE year (not five, meaning, a visit to Imm every year to get your new ONE year permission of stay stamp). What facility, then, would a LTR visa afford me, over my current "must visit Imm every year" for a one year stamp?

Do they really call it a "permission to stay" for the LTR?  Where is that written?  It makes no sense because a visa IS a permission to stay.  So how could you need an annual "permission to stay" when you already have a 5-year visa?  I saw someone post that the annual report will be like a 90-day report.  If that's so, it makes more sense and would also be a lot simpler than the piles of documents you need for the annual extension of a retirement visa.  So that would be one advantage of the LTR.

43 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

It makes no sense because a visa IS a permission to stay.  So how could you need an annual "permission to stay" when you already have a 5-year visa? 

A visa is not a permission of stay. It's just documentation that allows you to enter Thailand and be considered by Immigration for a period of stay -- 60 days, 90 days, 365 days (one year), as long as that visa is valid. For a LTR visa, that means you have a five year period to enter Thailand as many times as you'd like, receiving a one-year permission of stay stamp each time. For frequent travelers, this is ideal -- never ever having to visit Imm as long as you leave Thailand before that one year stamp expires. Otherwise, yep, you have to visit Imm to get an "extension of stay" off of that expiring "permission of stay" -- just like you would off of an expiring "permission of stay" stamp from an OA visa. Difference here: OA visa gives you only a one year time frame to exit and reenter Thailand for another one-year stay -- while the LTR visa gives you five years (with a renewable five year option).

So, not as tidy as one might think -- I've got to go to Imm once a year now to renew my "permission of stay" (with an "extension of stay") off of my OA visa -- euphemistically a so-called "visa extension." But if my desire is to never see Imm again, an LTR visa (and Elite Visa) leave me in the same situation I'm in now, namely, must visit Imm once a year. So, what's the advantage, particularly after all the additional cost...?

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Do they really call it a "permission to stay" for the LTR?  Where is that written?  It makes no sense because a visa IS a permission to stay.  So how could you need an annual "permission to stay" when you already have a 5-year visa?  I saw someone post that the annual report will be like a 90-day report.  If that's so, it makes more sense and would also be a lot simpler than the piles of documents you need for the annual extension of a retirement visa.  So that would be one advantage of the LTR.

Yes the annual visit is the equal of doing a 90 day report and that is it, it is not for getting a permission to stay stamp, it is a 1 year report equal to the 90 day. You can leave the country many times and re-enter as you wish with not having to do a re-entry permit, and each time you return you are stamped in for a year based upon having the 5 year visa sticker in your passport.  Many folks are trying to equate it to the Elite Visa which it is not.

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I saw someone post that the annual report will be like a 90-day report.

I'm sure they'll screw that one up too. Finally, online 90 day reports are a snap. If they go back and rewrite the software to accommodate one-year reporting, that'll certainly crash the system. So, instead of a 30 second 90 day online reporting requirement -- I'll probably be back to driving to Imm to do a one year report, which will probably confuse the clerk. Sigh.