LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

Thanks, OldCPU, for the reports of your conversations with BOI. Now we need clarification of their rules. Because if a 5+ year bond is required, how could a mutual fund, so readily saleable, be allowed? If I'm following correctly, an applicant could sell the bond just after receiving the visa, and buy a new one just before the five year review, which doesn't make sense from BOI's point of view.

If 5 year + maturity and held past the review date is the true regulation, then check www.thaibma.or.th/EN/Market/YieldCurve/Government.aspx for a list of government bonds of all maturities and spreads. The over-the-counter market is not that liquid for off-the-run issues, I was told, and spreads are wide. So you need to look for recent (on-the-run) issues. To buy five year bonds, there would be an overlap at your 5-year review when you would be holding $500,000 worth of Thai paper, not a safe situation. In the US, the 30-year bond is the usual investor's choice: least volatile, most liquid. You'll see one recent 20 year and a 30-year on the ThaiBMA list. I'm thinking of going that route to the LTR myself, but there's a real question whether that fits with prudent long-term investment goals.

Following the old 60/40 rule, you would allocate 250k to bonds and 375k to equities if your total portfolio of investable assets (not including your primary residence) was 625k. But according to the home-currency rule, at least 60% should be in the home currency. So if my home is dollars, Thai bonds could be allocated 40% of 40% = 16%. Then I would expect a total port. of 1.57 million. Sorry, out of my league. If all your assets and all your expenses are in baht, and you expect to live in Thailand till the end, then your home currency is baht. But if even one of those criteria doesn't hold, then it's dollars or pounds or whatever. If you have a well-diversified international portfolio, and want a high yield on your investments, chances are your currency should be dollars.

Also, there's a recession coming, and the Thai bond yield curve is not yet showing the extreme inversion (recession-pricing) that the US curve shows, which suggests that Thai bonds bought now will loose money in the short-medium term. If you want to buy a 20 or 30 year bond, make sure your portfolio is set up to handle the inflation and FX risk.

15 minutes ago, K2938 said:

For many people who would need to invest 250k USD in Thai government bonds to get the LTR, it would probably make more sense from a financial point of view to look at other visas, the Non-O if over 50 or married to a Thai and Thai Elite if not.  The sweet spot for the LTR is people who have sufficient income so that no investment is required or those who have sufficient real estate investments in Thailand anyway

Or for those who wish to work

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, K2938 said:

The application rejection rate for LTR visas appears to be very high. 

I have been looking for such 'statistics' but I have not been able to find such.   What is the source that provides to you this appearance?

3 hours ago, K2938 said:

So if you really wanted to go down this route, it would make a lot of sense ONLY to buy anything if you have confirmation from the BOI that your application is fully approved in all aspects, subject to you buying whatever you want to buy.  Otherwise you run the huge risk of having bought something with all the expenses entailed and still getting rejected.

I think that is great advice.

Unfortunately, to obtain good solid 'confirmation' prior to investing/committing money is not something I think fully 100% doable in practice. 

To submit one's paperwork to BoI without the financial proof, is I believe setting one up for rejection.  I believe the financial proof needs to be in place as part of the application for the LTR Visa.

I believe that the best one can do, is what I am attempting, which is to contact/phone BoI in advance (of investment and in advance of LTR submission) and obtain a verbal assessment of someone on the phone that the investment is something they will accept. .... and then proceed from there. 

That (IMHO) verbal assessment is no true confirmation, but its likely, I suspect, the best that one can do.

This is Thailand and I think many expats will agree, there is a degree of risk in anything one does here. All one can do is manage their risk (following guidelines like you suggest with respect to confirmation prior to acting) is best that one can do.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I have been looking for such 'statistics' but I have not been able to find such.   What is the source that provides to you this appearance?

If you scroll up in the thread, you will find the sources of the statistics.  If I remember correctly, about a week or two ago.

An additional caution on prospective bonds. 'Savings bonds', the kind sold at a bank that OldCPU has mentioned, can be sold before maturity, but only at the cost of losing your pro-rated share of the next interest payment. (Different issues have slightly different rules - make sure to ask). Pantabat Rathaban, Treasury bonds, can be sold over-the-counter at any time for the market price. Unpaid interest is accrued daily and added to the sale price of the bond, so you never loose your interest. Download the offering list at CIMB THAI bank, they will buy and sell for you.

I still think it's a risky proposition, from a strictly financial point of view. Bonds are nearly as risky as stocks, in a long-term portfolio. But then again, not all decisions in life are purely financial, are they?

1 hour ago, K2938 said:

If you scroll up in the thread, you will find the sources of the statistics.  If I remember correctly, about a week or two ago.

I scrolled up (back) one month, and could not find those statistics.

The best I could find was a link to a fulcum.sg article you linked to on 20-Nov, but it did not contain those statistics for a Wealthy Pensioner application.

19 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I scrolled up (back) one month, and could not find those statistics.

The best I could find was a link to a fulcum.sg article you linked to on 20-Nov, but it did not contain those statistics for a Wealthy Pensioner application.

As far as I remember that article contained a 14% success rate for Work-from-Thailand professionals which is extremely low.  And a few days later there was somebody who was told that he got the xth LTR visa from which one can work out an estimate of the overall success rate.  From other published data it is also known what the breakdown is between the different LTR categories, so with all this you can come up with a pretty good guess of the Wealthy Pensioner LTR visa.  As none of these figures come directly from the BOI, they could theoretically of course all be wrong, but prudence would dictate to be very careful with your investment decisions

Edited by K2938
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, K2938 said:

As far as I remember that article contained a 14% success rate for Work-from-Thailand professionals which is extremely low.  And a few days later there was somebody who was told that he got the xth LTR visa from which one can work out an estimate of the overall success rate.  From other published data it is also known what the breakdown is between the different LTR categories, so with all this you can come up with a pretty good guess of the Wealthy Pensioner LTR visa

Mine was the 15th LTRWP issued I was told. Issued October 7th.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, K2938 said:

From other published data it is also known what the breakdown is between the different LTR categories, so with all this you can come up with a pretty good guess of the Wealthy Pensioner LTR visa.  As none of these figures come directly from the BOI, they could theoretically of course all be wrong, but prudence would dictate to be very careful with your investment decisions

Your efforts in trying to estimate the numbers are appreciated.

I thou, am curious to read the actual numbers if they are ever published. 

From what I can tell BOI are struggling to provide rapid LTR Wealthy Pensioner processing/approvals and I suspect many applicants are still being processed. Accordingly I have a suspicion the numbers are not as pessimistic as that estimate you calculated.  ...

But I concede at present, a suspicion of mine is not as good as the guess that you are attempting.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, aublumberg said:

It seems they finally implemented more meaningful status wording e.g. "Consideration by Government Agencies" or "Document Review for Visa / WP Issuance" as well as "Visa/ WP Issuance Pre-approved" and "Final approval" ... not necessarily in that order ????

Based on my phones calls to BoI over the last month checking on the status of my application which was showing "Pending" I expect "Consideration by Government Agencies" simply means that BoI (a govt agency) is still processing the application which still means it's in pending status that could indicate the application has not been looked at yet, went back to an earlier queue location, maybe being looked at by a non-BoI department, etc.  

Now "Consideration by Govt Agencies" does give the impression a person's application is moving thru the process when in fact it could be (probably is) awaiting "internal BoI" initial  or additional  review/processing.

Mine showed Pending status around 9pm last night....but at 5am this morning it now shows Consideration by Govt Agencies...but I'm sure my application hasn't moved an additional inch in the BoI process overnight nor from where it was last week based on my calls checking on status.. 

This is surely just a renaming of status descriptions in an overnight software update trying to convey application movement instead of stagnation/still in the queue.  Hoping to cut down on the number of calls to BoI asking why a person's application doesn't seem to be moving.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Based on my phones calls to BoI over the last month checking on the status of my application which was showing "Pending" I expect "Consideration by Government Agencies" simply means that BoI (a govt agency) is still processing the application which still means it's in pending status that could indicate the application has not been looked at yet, went back to an earlier queue location, maybe being looked at by a non-BoI department, etc.  

Now "Consideration by Govt Agencies" does give the impression a person's application is moving thru the process when in fact it could be (probably is) awaiting "internal BoI" initial  or additional  review/processing.

Mine showed Pending status around 9pm last night....but at 5am this morning it now shows Consideration by Govt Agencies...but I'm sure my application hasn't moved an additional inch in the BoI process overnight nor from where it was last week based on my calls checking on status.. 

This is surely just a renaming of status descriptions in an overnight software update trying to convey application movement instead of stagnation/still in the queue.  Hoping to cut down on the number of calls to BoI asking why a person's application doesn't seem to be moving.

In one of my calls in Sep/Oct time frame, the BoI staff explained that my application had been approved by the BoI, and was now with Immigration for final review.  The staff member also explained that the "20 working days" was for the BoI process only, and didn't include any additional time that other agencies might spend on the application. After a few days or a week, I received the final "approval" from all the gov't agencies in Thailand, and was asked where I would like to receive the LTR visa (in Bangkok or from a Thai consulate outside the country). 

So I wonder if "Consideration by Govt Agencies" could mean that the BoI has approved the application, and is waiting on Immigration.  It wouldn't surprise me if some of the delay current applications are experiencing now are at the "gov't agencies" level (I.e. Immigration) and not internal to the BoI.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Misty said:

So I wonder if "Consideration by Govt Agencies" could mean that the BoI has approved the application, and is waiting on Immigration.  It wouldn't surprise me if some of the delay current applications are experiencing now are at the "gov't agencies" level (I.e. Immigration) and not internal to the BoI.

I've been told twice in two separate calls to two separate BoI reps in mid and late Nov my application was "out for review."    A few days after that late Nov call my status changed from Pending to Request for Additional Docs which I provided same day....the status immediately went back to Pending.  Based on a call this week BoI hasn't had a chance to review those additional docs but should soon.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, anotherexpat4444 said:

Anyone know what is meaning of " consideration by government agencies"  .  i saw my status changed to this from pending. bit anxious

I think @Mistyhit the nail on the head with here above answer.  It is up to immigration to check your visa status if your already in the country as they have that info.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, anotherexpat4444 said:

Anyone know what is meaning of " consideration by government agencies"  .  i saw my status changed to this from pending. bit anxious

Since you said you received notification on 7 Dec your application had been approved, hopefully in your case it just means the BoI and Immigration are still coordinating the official notification of approval letter that you would use to actually get the Visa from the BoI Immigration or a Thai embassy depending on where you requested that you pay and have the visa issued at. 

But for those who had not received notification of approval yet, I expect "Consideration by Govt Agencies" could mean BoI as a govt agency is still reviewing/processing your application, maybe BoI asked a couple other govt agencies if they have any issues with your application (like making sure you are not on some bad-boy list, etc.

Personally I don't think the change is much different than a few weeks ago on another Saturday morning software update when the BoI changed the online status "Staff Name" entries to start showing a "Screen number" like Screen 3 instead of a StaffBOI entry 3 or 4 digit number.   As it turned out a Screen number like say Screen 3, only represented a "screener" at BoI who supposedly had a person's application in their inbox.  And when I asked to talk to Screen 3 in my calls I was told it could really represent several different screeners/evaluators...like BoI co-workers in the same section.  

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

30 minutes ago, Pib said:

Since you said you received notification on 7 Dec your application had been approved, hopefully in your case it just means the BoI and Immigration are still coordinating the official notification of approval letter that you would use to actually get the Visa from the BoI Immigration or a Thai embassy depending on where you requested that you pay and have the visa issued at. 

But for those who had not received notification of approval yet, I expect "Consideration by Govt Agencies" could mean BoI as a govt agency is still reviewing/processing your application, maybe BoI asked a couple other govt agencies if they have any issues with your application (like making sure you are not on some bad-boy list, etc.

Personally I don't think the change is much different than a few weeks ago on another Saturday morning software update when the BoI changed the online status "Staff Name" entries to start showing a "Screen number" like Screen 3 instead of a StaffBOI entry 3 or 4 digit number.   As it turned out a Screen number like say Screen 3, only represented a "screener" at BoI who supposedly had a person's application in their inbox.  And when I asked to talk to Screen 3 in my calls I was told it could really represent several different screeners/evaluators...like BoI co-workers in the same section.  

In phone calls, the BoI said my application was "approved" by the BoI by the 3d week of Sep.  But it still wasn't marked "Approved" overall until 4 Oct. In late Sep the BoI said they'd forwarded the application to, and were waiting on, Immigration.  Finally on 4 Oct the online system marked the application as "Approved" and I was asked to confirm where I wanted to receive the LTR visa. 

So if BoI hasn't asked anotherexpat4444 where you want to receive the LTR visa yet, suggest checking to see what the BoI meant by saying your application is "approved" .   Maybe it's still with Immigration.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a reminder this coming Monday/12 Dec is a holiday (observed Constitution Day) which means govt agencies like the BoI will be closed.  So don't expected to see any LTR application status changes or being able to call BoI no sooner than 13 Dec/Tuesday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anotherexpat4444 said:

BOI is the coordinating agency, but doesn't make the decision in isolation. They check with immigration (e.g. if an application has overstayed previously) and afaik also police.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pib said:

For those who recently submitted your application (like say over the last week or so) it would be helpful to know what your application status now shows after the BoI software update today/Sat/10 Dec where people who had a status of "Pending" Friday night/9 Dec woke-up to a new status of "Consideration by Govt Agencies" on Saturday morning/10 Dec.   If your status also now suddenly shows "Consideration by Govt Agencies" with your application only having been submitted recently (say the last week or two) then "Consideration by Govt Agencies" is probably just the new "Pending."   But hey, maybe some of you are still showing "Pending"....please give us some crossfeed if your application still shows Pending as of 10 Dec/Saturday.

Slightly broadening the question by Pib re the new "Consideration by Govt Agencies" status: 

Is there anybody at all with a pending application - regardless of application time - where the status has NOT now changed from "Pending" to "Consideration by Govt Agencies"?

If there is nobody without the change, then "Consideration by Govt Agencies" would indeed appear to be only a renaming of "Pending" and not an indication of progress.

Edited by K2938
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys I'm looking for some clarifications regarding the "Work from thailand professionals" LTR. I've tried to search in the forum but didn't get any appropriate results.

- For this type of Visa, do I need to meet ALL the criteria or just one?

- One of the required documents is the "Annual personal income tax return". As far as I know, in the UK we'd only do this if you're self employed? I'm employed by a company (not mine) what would I need to provide here?

Edited by at92uk