LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

50 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I agree with Karma above, this would open the floodgates on all the remote digital nomads and others who make decent money, many of whom would love to stay in Thailand.

IMHO most of that crowd are already here, on all sorts of visas..

Edited by Boomer6969

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Ok, so how would you assess whether the applicant is likely to remain employed during the five years of their permission to stay? I reckon LTR is quite lenient, especially with regards to income; 80k USD isn't a high income at all. 

I can see quite a few options here:

1. Merge WGC with WFTP and lower the combined bar

($500k assets + $80k salary without company revenue requirement)

2. Have a sliding scale for both?

($500k assets + $80k salary OR $250k assets + $120k salary OR $100k assets + $200k salary)

3. Have a sliding scale within the WFTP

($150m/3y Revenue + $80k salary OR $50m/3y Revenue + $150k salary OR $10m/3y Revenue + $250k salary)

There's an awful lot of mechanics they could do to bring dramatically more potential applicants within the application parameters.

I'm sure an organisation operating at government level could obtain some global data that would allow them to draw up a Venn diagram to try and encompass a sufficient number of target audience to at least make their goals possible.

At present, you can be the owner of a foreign based enterprise making $5-10m/year profit on $40m revenue and you don't fall within their criteria unless you're willing to invest $500k in the country upfront.

That, to me, is poorly designed.

Edited by mrmagyar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I got my stamp already last month and only today I received an email that i can download my successfully notification ltr which i can access via logging in.

anyone got a late email too? 
I assume we ignore since we are stamped .

Nothing yet for me, They handed me mine at my appointment and told me to make sure I had it for my 5 year recheck and second 5 year stamp.

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

Today makes a full calendar month containing 20 working days when excluding weekends and holidays since submitting my pensioner application.  Called BOI customer service today to check on the status as my online status is still at Pending just like it was on day 1.  Customer service  apologized for the delay....said they have thousands of applications...and also said they are trying to clear bottlenecks like IT system issues. 

After looking up my application number the rep which also showed Pending she asked what was showing under the StaffBoI Column for my application as her system didn't show that kind of info.  I told the rep it now showed a 1 digit Screen number but it use to show a 3 digit number and before that a 4 digit number....and the rep said yes, that's one of the changes in their IT system to help remove bottlenecks.   But I figure it was just to hide phone extension numbers of BoI reps to reduce the number of calls interrupting reps which are processing applications which honestly I can understand....hard to get something done if you are always answering a phone.

The rep crossed referenced my Screen number to a specific BoI rep who supposedly has my application...but that rep was in the meeting.  I was given the rep's name and phone phone number.   I will keep that info to myself to prevent a lot of people from calling that rep since that rep may not even be involved with your application. 

So, it appears the Screen number now appearing under the StaffBOI column really just means which BoI rep (e.g., Screener) has your application at any point in time although I guess a low screen number "might" indicate how far along the process your application is if a BoI rep with a low Screen number is delegated early review duties and a Screener with a higher number delegated duties on the tail end of a review process.   Or who knows, maybe a Screener with a low number could be assigned duties to process an application in the later stages and then later on be reassigned to screen applications early in the process.   Just guessing I am.

So, I will try calling the POC I was given late next week if no status change by then.   Yeap, a full calendar month has now come and gone....my application still in Pending status...has never changed from that status.

Remember that even with a full calendar month there have been a slew of holidays this month which includes the 3 day holidays given last week for Apec.

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Remember that even with a full calendar month there have been a slew of holidays this month which includes the 3 day holidays given last week for Apec.

Yes, I stated such in my opening sentence....I even counted the 3 day special holiday in the Bangkok area for the APEC Summit.  When accounting for the slew of holidays BoI has had 20 working days to process my application.   And just to clarify it further by a full calendar month of days I mean like from 20 Oct to 20 Nov....15 Oct to 15 Nov, etc. 

I think the BoI was better staffed for the LTR kickoff in September....possibly expecting a zillion applications to come in....but when that didn't occur they may have cut back on BoI  staff assigned to review LTR applications. 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JJJJJJJJ said:

I applied on the first day of the opening: September 1. But my case was eventually finalised after two and a half months. Since I was not in a hurry, I did not push them at all. However, after more than two months, the status was still showing "Pending", it was quite frustrating. Then I called them and they approved my case at the same day of calling. Let us assume if I had not called at that day, I guess probably my case would have still been "pending" until now. 

From looking at your earlier post detailing what the BoI had asked you for and the additional docs you then provided I do think your follow-up call "regained their attention" to your application and basically gave them a nudge to finish processing it.  Otherwise, it might still be setting in Pending status.

6 minutes ago, Zuman said:

Applied for Wealthy Pensioner on October 4.

Called on November 11 and supplied additional information as requested. 
As of today still showing Pending at Screen 3.

Will call again next week.

Makes a person wonder why the BoI didn't request the info "before" your 11 Nov call.  Maybe they had not looked at it yet or maybe they had looked at it but for some reason was hoping you would never followup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJJJJJJJ said:

I applied on the first day of the opening: September 1. But my case was eventually finalised after two and a half months. Since I was not in a hurry, I did not push them at all. However, after more than two months, the status was still showing "Pending", it was quite frustrating. Then I called them and they approved my case at the same day of calling. Let us assume if I had not called at that day, I guess probably my case would have still been "pending" until now. 

The problem with not pushing now is that things might carry over into the new year and the BOI might then ask for updated stuff for everything, even if they had been sitting on things and caused the delay, saying 2021 is already so far away

Edited by K2938

48 minutes ago, Pib said:

Makes a person wonder why the BoI didn't request the info "before" your 11 Nov call.  Maybe they had not looked at it yet or maybe they had looked at it but for some reason was hoping you would never followup.

The reaction of the BOI to phone calls seems to have changed.  Previously, a phone call after the end of the 20 working day period led to some acceleration as far as people have reported here, but your phone call, as far as I understood you, basically did not lead to anything in spite of the 20 working day period having expired

Some more stats for my journey so far if of any use:

20 Sep - Applied for, LTR Working from Thailand Professional

19 Oct - Request more documents

4 Nov - Approved

(then some time to organise health insurance went back to BOI on 14 Nov. I used the submit later option for insurance previously.)

24 Nov - Health Insurance rejected and I've gone back to BOI to explain why it is valid

I was also wondering for the TM6 landing card, 'Purpose of Visit' what did those already landed with this visa type put?

Employment doesn't seem to fit as I wouldn't be employed by a Thai company. Business seems more related to business trips or running a business from Thailand. Seems like 'other' would be the option, as my intention is to work for my overseas company and live in Thailand.

But would 'other' maybe confuse and invite immigration questions?

Edited by smic
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, smic said:

Some more stats for my journey so far if of any use:

20 Sep - Applied for, LTR Working from Thailand Professional

19 Oct - Request more documents

4 Nov - Approved

(then some time to organise health insurance went back to BOI on 14 Nov. I used the submit later option for insurance previously.)

24 Nov - Health Insurance rejected and I've gone back to BOI to explain why it is valid

I was also wondering for the TM6 landing card, 'Purpose of Visit' what did those already landed with this visa type put?

Employment doesn't seem to fit as I wouldn't be employed by a Thai company. Business seems more related to business trips or running a business from Thailand. Seems like 'other' would be the option, as my intention is to work for my overseas company and live in Thailand.

But would 'other' maybe confuse and invite immigration questions?

When I entered Bangkok in mid-Nov the TM6 card was not being used.  I went through the Fast track section and used my LTR e-visa print-out. The IO was able to stamp me in within about 5 min, after consulting with a colleague.

If the TM6 is introduced by the next time I enter Thailand at the end of Dec, I'll put "LTR" for purpose of visit. Still plan to use Fast track. Hopefully no issues with Immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Misty said:

When I entered Bangkok in mid-Nov the TM6 card was not being used.  I went through the Fast track section and used my LTR e-visa print-out. The IO was able to stamp me in within about 5 min, after consulting with a colleague.

If the TM6 is introduced by the next time I enter Thailand at the end of Dec, I'll put "LTR" for purpose of visit. Still plan to use Fast track. Hopefully no issues with Immigration.

Thanks Misty that makes sense, the purpose is LTR.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, smic said:

smic,

Thanks for the crossfeed.   Did BoI give a reason as to why the insurance was rejected?

4 hours ago, Pib said:

smic,

Thanks for the crossfeed.   Did BoI give a reason as to why the insurance was rejected?

They said it did not have 10 month remaining for the policy. However I bought the policy after I got approved so I think they just made a mistake when looking at the health insurance documents.

The policy is with AXA Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, smic said:

They said it did not have 10 month remaining for the policy. However I bought the policy after I got approved so I think they just made a mistake when looking at the health insurance documents.

The policy is with AXA Thailand.

I  got a request to additional document for  health insurance that covers the hospitalization in Thailand no less than 50,000 USD and valid at least 10 months.

does it have to be a insurance company in thailand or  travel insurance e.g safetywing also will work ?

Edited by anotherexpat4444

On 11/3/2022 at 7:27 PM, Misty said:

Here's more detail from the guy who purchased the Thai gov't bond:

His KBANK Bangkok branch initially said the same thing as your Phuket branch - can't do it.  He called the BoI to ask what to do. The BoI contacted KBANK at a centralized level where bonds are traded, and sent him the contact details of a senior KBANK person (not at branch level) who was able to offer several different choices to purchase in the secondary market.  He went back to his bank branch, called the senior KBANK person and the two talked. After that, he was able to purchase a Thai government bond that met BoI requirements in the secondary market.

I hope this helps. If you want to do this, it sounds to me like the only way is to get the BoI directly involved.

On this topic, I received an email today from Bangkok Bank, advising me of a regular new issue of Thai Government bonds coming up.

Having typed that, I don't know if one applied to buy the necessary amount in Thai government bonds (via Bangkok Bank) if one would actually obtain the amount they requested.

On 11/2/2022 at 4:56 PM, Mike Teavee said:

I haven't seen it confirmed one way or the other but my understanding was that any investment needed would have to be new money brought into Thailand so your existing investment in a Condo wouldn't count.

Its almost 4 weeks after I sent a query to BI on this asking if I could use a 2016 Thai condo purchase (foreign freehold) together with  a recent Thai Government bond purchase, to qualify for the per-requisite investment amount, and I have received no reply.

I assume either the answer is NO (can't use an investment as old as 2016) or they (BI) are simply too busy to answer.

I am thinking I may wait a year and see how this all settles down (with more details known for certain (as best possible)), before applying for an LTR.  Until then I will stick with the non-immig Type-O Visa route (with 1 year extension on permission to stay based on retirement).