LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

On 1/16/2023 at 5:18 PM, Pib said:

Update: I contacted BoI via their online contact form asking about the info in Misty's post regarding Tricare ...........But unfortunately, as I have Tricare as a military retiree of many years, I do not know what document they are talking about which shows the Tricare insurance will renew annually.   The only document I'm aware of you can get saying you are enrolled in Tricare is a one page benefits letter you can download from the military "DEERS" system which stands for Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System if you have a milConnect online acct.  

More research to do I guess....maybe even go visa BoI in the near future  see if they would show me a redacted version of the letter they are talking about....the type of letter they are satisfied with.   I'm sure there are many military retirees with Tricare coverage monitoring this thread.  So, if you know what Tricare coverage letter BoI is referring to that says your Tricare coverage renews annually (versus some general info Tricare website/booklet that talks such) then please share that info. 

Pib,

Thank you for your research & comments ref TRICARE.  I will apply for LTR (Wealthy Pensioner) & 

am assembling documentation.  My only concern about that is satisfying proof for my TRICARE coverage.  If & when the TRICARE issue firms up, I will be eager to hear about it.

To compound the TRICARE proof issue for me: I can't even get the one-page DEERS letter you referenced, because I can't get into a DS logon milconnect account I thought I had established years ago. 

However, at https://mypay.dfas.mil military retirees are able to download a 1095B proving (to IRS & anybody else concerned) that DOD did indeed sponsor medical coverage for the Prior Year (But not the current year). Wish I knew if that will be acceptable to BOI because it is all I have at the moment.

2022 Form 1095-B (irs.gov)

The https://mypay.dfas.mil site will also provide a current year letter for military pay to include the statement as follows: ...."normally payable during his/her lifetime."  Unfortunately there is no similar TRICARE letter.

Perhaps if BOI were "Educated" they would accept the current year military pay letter as evidence that a military retirees TRICARE benefit would also tag right along with the military pay "during his/her lifetime".

Edited DFAS Verify Pay CY2023.pdf

DEFENSE FINANCE AND ACCOUNTING SERVICE
Retired and Annuitant Pay 8899 E 56th Street - Retired Pay
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200 https://www.dfas.mil/RetiredMilitary/

January 29, 2023

NAME & ADDRESS OF SUBJECT INDIVIDUAL

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Reference is made to your request for certification regarding receipt of Military pay in the 
account of      abcdefg

This is to certify that the member is on the Retired rolls of this Center and is currently entitled 
to pay at the gross monthly rate of  $x,xxx.00 which is normally payable during his/her lifetime.

Sincerely,

Retired Pay Department

Sorry, but I have unintentionally oversimplified the problem of proving TRICARE coverage for US military retirees.  The complication arises because at age 65 military US military retirees will lose their overseas TRICARE benefits unless they make Medicare part B contributions (approx $170/month, minimum), which can be deducted from Social security pension.. Since Medicare does not cover US citizens overseas, some military retirees will be tempted to not make those payments, and thus forego TRICARE coverage.

All we need is a few bad apples getting BOI approval for TRICARE, to later be caught without coverage, and BOI would perhaps throw up their hands and not want to be bothered with the TRICARE approval headache.

What is needed is a simple way for US military retirees to get downloadable documentation that their TRICARE coverage is indeed CURRENT.  I can not access the the DS Logon milconnect site because it no demand from me a US address & ph# for enhanced identity verification.

In order to not further highjack this thread, and to keep pertinent TRICARE replies focused in one central location, the special/unique problem for US military retirees to prove TRICARE coverage deserves it's own dedicated thread. 

On 1/30/2023 at 1:44 PM, ThailandRyan said:

From what I was told if I left the country just prior to my 1 year then returned the clock would reset and a new 1 year time frame would start, this was told to me on the day the inserted my LTR Visa back in October by the BOI LTR staff.

This is also what I was told by both immigration and BoI on the day the visa was stamped into my passport, so I have no doubt that it is accurate. And it makes perfect sense - it's just the 90 day report rule, but for one year instead.

Unfortunately, BoI and immigration have created confusion by using poor wording in their instructions. Almost all of the material they hand out says that you have to notify immigration of your address "every year", which is misleading at best. 

The TM95 has one clear reference the need to report if resident for more than a year and what I consider a clarifying statement that a report is due each year

Edited by Rimmer
PDF attachment with personal details removed

1 hour ago, lextsy said:

In sydney EVISA was not available and we were able to attain stickers which state a ten year visa. How can this be now terminated after 5 years if we do not meet conditions?

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 3.36.04 pm.png

Don't worry, the stamp you will get when entering Thailand will have 5 years only. Was the same for my visa issued by Royal Thai Consulate in Hong Kong.

21 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

Don't worry, the stamp you will get when entering Thailand will have 5 years only. Was the same for my visa issued by Royal Thai Consulate in Hong Kong.

Understand but after 5 years? Or 4.5 years….. if the sticker says 10 years how can they reject a visa issued for 10 years. 

if right now all I have is a sticker to give to immigration, how will they know or not know once 5 years pass….. maybe they don’t even know yet.

What is printed on the Evisa? 

Edited by lextsy

Noticed yesterday that the LTR/BOI log-in page now has a Print Digital Work Permit added on the left side below the signature box.  Has anyone been able to open up the digital work permit by using the tab? All I get is a Blank page that opens up.  When I updated my housekeepers work permit here in HH the work permit office wanted a copy of my work permit, which I told them I do not have.  Their response was yes you do and it was issued through the BOI.  I explained to them that I was on an LTR-P wealthy pensioner Visa and had declined the work permit, but they were insistent that I had been issued one at the BOI.  I asked them to show me the WP number, but they said the system only showed that a digital work permit had been processed.  This was 2 weeks ago, and I have yet to contact BOI.

image.png.18f1ba4afd5a943c9b683e9c9ebf6505.png

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 11:54 AM, Misty said:

Congratulations, that's great news.  Glad to hear the LA Consulate was quick to complete the LTR e-visa. 

From here it works pretty much as you state.  Keep a print-out of the e-visa in your passport, as that is the LTR e-visa - unlike other LTR visas, there's no stamp you'll get.  And no fancy sticker coming in the mail. Immigration will only put a small arrival stamp in your passport listing the type of visa, arrival date, and how long you can stay (essentially 5 years). 

LTR visa holders can use the Fast Track queue at the airport. Even in Fast Track, the IO may need to consult with colleagues or superiors about how to handle the LTR e-visa, since it's relatively new and few people have them.  But so far in this thread, no one has reported trouble or much delay in going through Immigration.

Just wondering, is there any reference to state we can use fast track?

2 hours ago, lextsy said:

Just wondering, is there any reference to state we can use fast track?

It's listed on the BoI LTR website. At Suvarnabhumi itself one of the categories to use Fast Track is 'Smart Visa' (also BoI administered), it doesn't specifically state 'LTR' on the posters but I've traveled in and out a couple times and no problem. If challenged say you have "Smart Visa LTR" or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, lextsy said:

Understand but after 5 years? Or 4.5 years….. if the sticker says 10 years how can they reject a visa issued for 10 years. 

if right now all I have is a sticker to give to immigration, how will they know or not know once 5 years pass….. maybe they don’t even know yet.

What is printed on the Evisa? 

The e-Visa has the "Date of grant," "Visa must be used by (a date 10 years later)," and "Length of stay in Thailand - 5 year(s)"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Noticed yesterday that the LTR/BOI log-in page now has a Print Digital Work Permit added on the left side below the signature box.  Has anyone been able to open up the digital work permit by using the tab? All I get is a Blank page that opens up.  When I updated my housekeepers work permit here in HH the work permit office wanted a copy of my work permit, which I told them I do not have.  Their response was yes you do and it was issued through the BOI.  I explained to them that I was on an LTR-P wealthy pensioner Visa and had declined the work permit, but they were insistent that I had been issued one at the BOI.  I asked them to show me the WP number, but they said the system only showed that a digital work permit had been processed.  This was 2 weeks ago, and I have yet to contact BOI.

Hi Ryan thanks for the heads up - yes, I just went to the site and opened the "Print Digital Work Permit" tab and got a two page pdf "Copy of Electronic Work Permit".  The LTR unit had given me a paper print out when it was issued, but it wasn't clear so this version is better. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I expect the HH work permit office is really just seeing something saying you are authorized a digital permit since having a LTR visa but the permit was never issued since you declined it.  Basically it just saying you are authorized a work permit with your LTR visa "if" you should follow-thru and apply for the digital work permit which you did not do.    

Same for me for my LTR Pensioner visa  When I click the Print Digital Work Permit nothing pulls up....just a blank white screen....surely because I declined the permit during the LTR application process.

• Like 1

Can anyone who has applied for the LTR, or is otherwise aware, clarify something for me? My understanding is that you need to provide some sort of documentation showing that your employer outside of Thailand had income or profit of 10(?) million USD over the last year or two. Has anyone working for a private company applied for the LTR and been asked for such documents? I guess I'm not quite able to wrap my head around why they believe a private company would provide such information to a employee who has no need to know, let alone a foreign government.

I notice the Bangkok Immigration website now shows the requirements to extend an LTR visa (guess this means getting the 2nd 5 years on the visa).  Basically you just need your passport, BoI approval/endorsement letter, and a STM8 form. See paragraph 38 at below immigration webpage.

Gosh knows when the BoI will publish on their website the procedures to get the 2nd 5 years since it will not be until mid 2027 (around July 2027) that initial recipients of a LTR visa (i.e., those who were first issued an LTR visa in Sep 2022) will need to apply for the 2nd 5 years.  But I expect (guess) the procedure will be very similar to the initial application with the exception of no fee to pay.   

And maybe, just maybe, since the procedure is now listed on the Immigration website that getting the 2nd 5yrs will not require a trip to the BoI Once Stop Service Center Immigration at Chamchuri Square in Bangkok Instead...get the 2nd 5 years at your local immigration office as long as you have the BoI approval/endorsement letter. 

Maybe that is BoI's and Immigration's long term plan since the LTR visa program is new...still a work in process.   Heck, maybe the long term plan is to even provide the "initial" stamps (i.e., 10 years visa stamp and 1st 5 years permitted to stay stamp) at any immigration office as long as you have the BoI approval/endorsement letter which an immigration office would be able to confirm with your printed copy and within the immigration magic computer system.   

The again, maybe the extension procedure is listed even in those cases where only one immigration office (like the BoI immigration office) can issue an extension....don't know....I'm guessing.  

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/visa-extension/#1663059245307-70ae5f8b-e773

image.png.d42e607621d3e54ee56da8880facf6b9.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, spongeworthy said:

Can anyone who has applied for the LTR, or is otherwise aware, clarify something for me? My understanding is that you need to provide some sort of documentation showing that your employer outside of Thailand had income or profit of 10(?) million USD over the last year or two. Has anyone working for a private company applied for the LTR and been asked for such documents? I guess I'm not quite able to wrap my head around why they believe a private company would provide such information to a employee who has no need to know, let alone a foreign government.

My friend works for a privatised national company which does publish their financials but otherwise not sure how this works without asking company accountant.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

I notice the Bangkok Immigration website now shows the requirements to extend an LTR visa (guess this means getting the 2nd 5 years on the visa).  Basically you just need your passport, BoI approval/endorsement letter, and a STM8 form. See paragraph 38 at below immigration webpage.

Gosh knows when the BoI will publish on their website the procedures to get the 2nd 5 years since it will not be until mid 2027 (around July 2027) that initial recipients of a LTR visa (i.e., those who were first issued an LTR visa in Sep 2022) will need to apply for the 2nd 5 years.  But I expect (guess) the procedure will be very similar to the initial application with the exception of no fee to pay.   

And maybe, just maybe, since the procedure is now listed on the Immigration website that getting the 2nd 5yrs will not require a trip to the BoI Once Stop Service Center Immigration at Chamchuri Square in Bangkok Instead...get the 2nd 5 years at your local immigration office as long as you have the BoI approval/endorsement letter. 

Maybe that is BoI's and Immigration's long term plan since the LTR visa program is new...still a work in process.   Heck, maybe the long term plan is to even provide the "initial" stamps (i.e., 10 years visa stamp and 1st 5 years permitted to stay stamp) at any immigration office as long as you have the BoI approval/endorsement letter which an immigration office would be able to confirm with your printed copy and within the immigration magic computer system.   

The again, maybe the extension procedure is listed even in those cases where only one immigration office (like the BoI immigration office) can issue an extension....don't know....I'm guessing.  

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/visa-extension/#1663059245307-70ae5f8b-e773

image.png.d42e607621d3e54ee56da8880facf6b9.png

This is still what is confusing me. The sticker I have in my passport as i attached above is a 10 year multiple entry visa.. I will be back and forward 15 times before the 5 years is up. Now i understand they will stamp me for 5 years and when that expires ill return and will i get denied another stamp? The sticker is still valid as multiple entry... Assuming its denied or something is said and i need to do something with BOI what is the artefact from BOI which is required as the sticker already has 10 year period in it...

Specficially as per below:

1) I enter on Feb 10 and get a 5 year stamp either finishing on 6th Jan 2028 or 10th feb 2028..

2) Everytime i re-enter being a multiple entry the stamp will always have the same end date..

3) If i arrive on the 1st Jan 2028 will i only have 5 or 39 days to exit the country or if the time to the last is below a year ill get 5 years?

4) If i reapply to BOI and get the extension, what apart from the below sticker will i be exactly showing immigration as my sticker states 10 years.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 3.39.05 am.png

On 2/1/2023 at 11:44 PM, lextsy said:

I enter on Feb 10 and get a 5 year stamp either finishing on 6th Jan 2028 or 10th feb 2028..

Ok. Sifting thru data on this thread, it looks like Imm knows LTR visas warrant five year permission of stay stamps, not ten. On page 20 of that long "LTR Visa is Now...." thread, ThailandRyan shows us the ink stamps he got from BoI when issued his LTR visa. Besides the 10 year visa stamp, there's a five year permission of stay stamp (with an "until" date expiring when the five year renewal process is due, i.e., five years from date of issue). And a re-entry stamp, also for five years and also expiring on the "until" date of five years. Thus, easy for Imm at the border to figure out what permission of stay to stamp, being highly familiar with re entry stamps, where the "until" date is used for the "until" date on the new permission of stay stamp.

But what about a sticker visa obtained outside Thailand? Look here to see aublumberg's Hong Kong issued sticker:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1265383-ltr-visa-is-now-available-for-long-term-residency/page/23/

Looks like lextsy's, right? His had an issue date of Oct 18, 2022 and an expiration date of 17 Oct 2032.

Now, look what happened when aublumberg entered Thailand a week or so after visa issue:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1265383-ltr-visa-is-now-available-for-long-term-residency/page/29/

He was stamped in for five years, beginning on the date he entered Thailand, not five years from date of issue of the visa. Had he a reentry permit like Ryan, whose LTR was issued in Bangkok, Imm at the airport would have had an experienced situation on when the five year permission stamp's "until" date should be.

Anyway, lextsy, when you enter Thailand, don't be overly alarmed on what your five year permission of stay's stamp "until" date is -- whatever it is, no problems with either. As Ryan pointed out, 60 days before your five year anniversary comes due, you'll get a notice from BoI about the renewal requirement. Whatever your permission of stay says at the time, would be irrelevant. [Now, when there's less than five years left on your visa, and you're still getting stamped in for five years -- well, yeah, that would need to be fixed.]

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 1/21/2023 at 4:57 PM, Oorinara said:

17% Personal Income Tax (PIT) for High Skilled Pro (HSP)

Decree 743/2022 says 17% PIT on “assessable” income

https://ltr.boi.go.th/documents/Royal-Decree-743.pdf

In turn, generally progressive tax rates applicable to “taxable” income.

”Taxable” income = “Assessable” income - deductions - allowances (such as eligible insurance premium, Retirement Mutual Fund and Provident Fund)

https://www.rd.go.th/english/6045.html

Wondering if anyone knows 17% PIT for HSP on “assessable” or “taxable” income. Many thanks! 

I find 17% PIT for HSP is on “assessable (read: gross)” income, with neither deduction nor allowances such as Provident Fund and Retirement Mutual Fund.

So it’s not simply comparable with progressive tax rate which is based on “taxable (read: net)” income.

• Like 1