Best border bounce layover time -- hours or days?

For my upcoming 5 month trip to Thailand, I'm planning to obtain either an METV or a combination of an SETV and visa exemption plus extensions.  But I wonder if any members can relate their experiences about border runs.  Pre-Covid, it was usually OK to spend just a few hours (or less!) in Laos or Cambodia before returning to Thailand and getting admitted for another 30 or 60 days.  Is this still the case?  I assume that longer stays of several days are generally safer (i.e. less hassle from immigration officers) but I would welcome hearing from members who have had any recent experience.  

1 hour ago, ultramarine said:

But I wonder if any members can relate their experiences about border runs.  Pre-Covid, it was usually OK to spend just a few hours (or less!) in Laos or Cambodia before returning to Thailand and getting admitted for another 30 or 60 days

Yes you can bounce and reenter 30 day visa exempt.

You can do that twice per calendar year.

The only way to obtain a 60 stamp is to obtain a SETV and that would require overnight minimum.

Best option for 5 months would be setv + 30 day extension+ one border  bounce+ 30 day extension.

All up approx 5 months

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes you can bounce and reenter 30 day visa exempt.

You can do that twice per calendar year.

The only way to obtain a 60 stamp is to obtain a SETV and that would require overnight minimum.

Best option for 5 months would be setv + 30 day extension+ one border  bounce+ 30 day extension.

All up approx 5 months

Actually I was specifically interested in how long I should leave Thailand for in order to reduce hassles come back in.  Of course, if I was getting an SETV, then that would be several days anyway for travel and processing.  But what about a border bounce when you have to exit after the maximum stay has elapsed for an METV or SETV and then re-enter?  Is the same day exit and return still acceptable, or is an overnight stay in a neighboring country a safer bet? 

47 minutes ago, ultramarine said:

Is the same day exit and return still acceptable, or is an overnight stay in a neighboring country a safer bet?

You can bounce same day no problem.

I'm not familiar with Malaysia crossings. 

Think one required minimum one night stay? That might be out of date info.

In any event for most you can reenter straight away.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

...anyone know border bounce situation Mae Sai July 2022...?

Needing ATK to get into Myanmar then your vaccine cert. to get back in ?

Not sure what is required for entry by land.

By air it shows this.

image.png.2a437031826d78d85d7966fcb3e869ef.png

Source after clicking Myanmar on the map here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

If fully vaccinated then only proof of that  would need to re-enter Thailand,

• Like 1

Pre covid, and days past, and will depend where you are in the Kingdom.

Living in Udon Thani, popping over to Laos from Nong Khai was too close, too easy.  Never did Cambo, as too many negative reports about officials scamming.  Besides not being in that area, that often.

Best, and I always tried to schedule my 90 day & out & abouts together, enroute to Phuket, and hop over to Myanmar from Ranong.  Cheap, easy, nice longtail boat ride over.

Haven't a clue what's open or requirement at both borders to enter there, or return to TH.

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Why not just get a proper long term visa? 

The OP is asking about a 5 month trip.

What "proper long term visa" do you suggest.

BTW don't think he mentioned being 50+ or married to a Thai.

Easy options for 5 month + stay that does not involve long term option

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what is required for entry by land.

By air it shows this.

image.png.2a437031826d78d85d7966fcb3e869ef.png

Source after clicking Myanmar on the map here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

If fully vaccinated then only proof of that  would need to re-enter Thailand,

Ooooh, nasty for Mae Sai bounce...additional covid insurance and ATK test result for what is in effect an OUT/IN in less than an hour for most.

5 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Ooooh, nasty for Mae Sai bounce...additional covid insurance and ATK test result for what is in effect an OUT/IN in less than an hour for most.

Read it again and note that it is a or statement. No need for a test if fully vaccinated.

Not sure what is needed for a border entry. I wonder if they are doing the day passes for entry to Myanmar.

If doing a border bounce at a border with Laos, you can come straight back, never a problem.

If using a crossing with Cambodia, there is a stupid Cambodian law that you must stay at least one night in Cambodia. This law is not always enforced. However, the Cambodian officials may levy a fee to allow an immediate return (100-200 baht enough if you cannot avoid the fee).

There has often been a rule at Malaysian border crossings that tourists must spend a night in Malaysia. This has not applied to all crossings at all times. I am not up to date with the current situation.

Some crossings with Myanmar are open. If vaccinated, Maesot is the best of them, no hassle in the past.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can bounce same day no problem.

I'm not familiar with Malaysia crossings. 

Think one required minimum one night stay? That might be out of date info.

In any event for most you can reenter straight away.

I walked over and couldn't find lunch so  returned on the 30 tourist visa, hardly any time spent there. Actually at the halfway mark I was solicited to see if I was interested in a young girl.

1 minute ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I walked over and couldn't find lunch so  returned on the 30 tourist visa, hardly any time spent there.

Which border 

BTW ...you reentered visa exempt with 30 day stamp. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I walked over and couldn't find lunch so  returned on the 30 tourist visa, hardly any time spent there.

Such reports can be very useful. However, it is important to indicate

(i) Which crossing. Different border crossings, even with the same country, can vary tremendously in the rules they apply.

(ii) When. The rules applied in 2019 may not be the same as in 2022, for instance.

Also handy is indicating things like the price charged for border pass or visa (if any).

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 2:44 AM, ultramarine said:

Is this still the case?  I assume that longer stays of several days are generally safer (i.e. less hassle from immigration officers) but I would welcome hearing from members who have had any recent experience.  

A friend of mine asked the same question. 

I saw a couple of companies in Bangkok had started advertising border runs on a limited scale, one to Myanmar and the other Cambodia, so would take it that in/out on same day is on the cards.

I did a border run to Padang Besar a couple of weeks before the pandemic started and went in/out same day without a problem, but not sure if still the case.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

Cambodia visa on entry is available on line, so they can't overcharge you, but be very careful to make it on their govt site some are 'agents' and disguised as govt site, the 'fee' for not staying overnight used to be 300b at Klong Yai.