Visa Extension

Am staying in Kho Lanta, Krabi Province in January & have a 30 standard entry visa

4 Questions

1: Is there anywhere i can extend this for another 30 days in Kho Lanta or Krabi

2: Presuming there is would i need to take a translator with me or will they speak English  

3: Do yo just turn up with your passport or would you need any paperwork

4: What about initial entry in Thailand when they see a standard 30 day visa but the return flight is not for 60 days

Edited by Grahamlil

Immigration will not care that your return flight is not within the initial 30-day stay. However, your airline might well make it an issue.

Although having proof of onward travel within the initial 30 days of a "Visa Exempt" entry is a requirement for entry, it is seldom if ever checked by Thai Immigration.  The above is correct - many airlines will deny boarding if you can't show a ticket for onward travel within 30 days of your arrival because their computer system shows it is required for entry into Thailand unless you have a "Visa" (Tourist, Non-Immigrant, etc.). They don't know that Thai Immigration doesn't enforce this requirement. As far as they know, you could be denied entry and the airline would be on the hook for putting you on another flight (their cost) and possibly get a fine.

Many facing this situation just buy a cheap throw away ticket to a neighboring country so they can show evidence of onward travel while others buy a refundable ticket they can later cancel. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Many facing this situation just buy a cheap throw away ticket to a neighboring country so they can show evidence of onward travel while others buy a refundable ticket they can later cancel

Or buy onward flight (rent a ticket). Current thread about this showing no issue when he was asked by airline. 

• Like 1

OP, presuming your stay will be just 60 days, why not just get a Tourist Visa before your trip?  Then there's no need to either visit Immigration for an extension or to buy a separate onward airline ticket. And will save you $30+ in the long run.

• Like 1

I arrived in Bangkok from uk last week. I had a 60 day return ticket but was given a 30 day visa in Bangkok airport which I will extend. On the advice of this forum I bought a throwaway ticket to da nang from onwardflights.com. It was 7 us dollars. I printed it out but nobody asked to see it in London or Bangkok. I flew with Thai Airways. 

9 minutes ago, Petethefeet said:

I arrived in Bangkok from uk last week. I had a 60 day return ticket but was given a 30 day visa in Bangkok airport which I will extend. On the advice of this forum I bought a throwaway ticket to da nang from onwardflights.com. It was 7 us dollars. I printed it out but nobody asked to see it in London or Bangkok. I flew with Thai Airways. 

Almost identical post recently.

That guy also used "onward flight" rent a ticket.

He left from UK was not asked for onward flight.

He was flying to BKK via either Singapore or KL.

Was asked by airline in that leg so used his onwardward ticket as requested.