Tourist e-visa application

I am coming to Thailand from the UK for 34 days so I wanted to get a tourist visa to save a trip to immigration to extend a 30 day visa exemption.

I've gone through the application and came to the final page to upload supporting documents. It won't let me complete the application until I have uploaded in every section but there seems to be a number of sections/documents they want that don't apply to me:

1 - Applicant's spouse (no age specific) or children (age under 20 years old)

2 - Bank statement, not older than 1 month, with minimum balance of 5,000 pounds

3 - Confirmation of legal residence in a country in which you are applying for the visa. (In case that you are not a national of the country in which you are applying for the visa.) 

4 - Proof of accommodation booking confirmation, covering the entire stay for 90 days.

5 - Health Insurance issued by Thai insurer with outpatient benefit of not less than 40,000 THB and inpatient benefit of not less than 400,000 THB.

6 - Applicant is required to upload his/her passport pages which contain all travel records for the past 12 months (1 year) since the last international trip.

7 - Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency. 

8 - Please upload your picture holding the photo and information page of the passport.

These seem to be requirements for a different type of visa.

What am I supposed to upload for these?

Is there an easier way to just get a tourist visa?

My 13 year old son will be travelling with me too, will I have to go through all this for him as well or can he travel on my visa?

Thanks for any help.

You are probably applying for wrong type of Visa STV (Special Tourist Visa) for 90 days. Very tough requirements.

You need the Tourist TR visa for 60 days. But you still need to prove where your home is. It could be a bank statement or utility bill.

Price around 1200 Baht for Visa.

Edited by martin81
error

I came over from uk beginning November and also had to do certificate of entry I know for accommodation I just put the one night quarantine I had to do and it was accepted ,thai insurer is not essential anymore I believe ,I didn't get the impression when I phoned embassy in London they were as strict as  it sounds when your filling in the application  good luck

Yeah I realised I had applied for STV instead of TV but I've done a new one and it is now still asking for irrelevant information like:

A confirmation letter from employer, School, Self-assessment, Pension statement

Identity of the person inviting you to stay e.g. Thai ID card, Passport 

But I would really like to know if I need to do a separate application for my child? If so, how do I show financial proof etc for him?

Can I include him on my visa?

2 hours ago, WideWheels said:

Yeah I realised I had applied for STV instead of TV but I've done a new one and it is now still asking for irrelevant information like:

That appears to be the requirements for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV).

But I would really like to know if I need to do a separate application for my child? If so, how do I show financial proof etc for him?

No need to get a visa for them if the are under the age of 15. They could overstay and not be fined for a overstay when leaving the country.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
5 hours ago, WideWheels said:

That appears to be the requirements for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV).

The site does actually ask for those for Single Entry Tourist Visa, and doesn't let you proceed until you upload something. I ran into that too.

6 minutes ago, HexTree said:

The site does actually ask for those for Single Entry Tourist Visa, and doesn't let you proceed until you upload something. I ran into that too.

There are other similar errors on the e visa website. I have suggested people create a file stating it is not required for the visa being applied for.

6 hours ago, martin81 said:

But you still need to prove where your home is. It could be a bank statement or utility bill.

I think that's just if you are not a national of the country you apply in.

Just upload the passport front page to get past this point.

Cant remember exactly what I did, but I'm a non-resident and got past this somehow.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

That is such a shoddy website, I wonder how many people just give up.

Yep, almost have ????

I might just try the "not required" document upload.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No need to get a visa for them if the are under the age of 15. They could overstay and not be fined for a overstay when leaving the country.

If this is true then it will be worth persevering just for myself. Can anyone provide a link to anything official that confirms this, as I've not been able to find anything?

Thanks all for your help.

Yep, almost have ????

I might just try the "not required" document upload.

If this is true then it will be worth persevering just for myself. Can anyone provide a link to anything official that confirms this, as I've not been able to find anything?

Thanks all for your help.

Wouldn't it be easier to come in on visa exempt and then get a 30 day extension using an agent ?

Edited by Padthaigoong

14 minutes ago, Padthaigoong said:

Wouldn't it be easier to come in on visa exempt and then get a 30 day extension using an agent ?

It's certainly an alternative if I don't get a tourist visa in time. The visa is cheaper than the extension though and would prefer not to be messing around too much once I'm on holiday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WideWheels said:

Can anyone provide a link to anything official that confirms this [that minors under age 15 are not fined], as I've not been able to find anything?

See https://www.tratimmigration.com/thailand-visa-overstay-regulations/

Children under the age of 15 are not charged a fine for overstaying but still get overstay stamps when they leave the country.

It is mildly frowned upon, but there are no significant repercussions in practice. There are a number of similar references online that contain the same information. Anyway, you can almost always trust what @ubonjoe tells you about anything to do with Thai immigration.

• Like 1

You might take it as a hint that Tourists are not welcome.  Probably many will and find a more sympathetic country to holiday in.

If Thailand is really keen to get it tourist industry working again, why is this web-site not fixed, so anyone coming can get a visa in advance.  New tourists will not want to be bothered with finding Immigration and spending time getting an extension, nor the possibility of airlines demanding onward ticket at check in.

My guess is that new to Thailand tourists want a fuss free experience, as it was pre- Covid, when you showed up at SVB and were automatically given 28 days entry.

• Thanks 1

TR Visa on the website UK Thai immigration website. You get an eVisa emailed to you, no need to send passport away. Very easy & simple to do. They email it to you in 3 days.  This gives 60 days, possible to extend in Thailand a further 30 days if required.

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2022 at 7:34 AM, Caldera said:

That is such a shoddy website, I wonder how many people just give up.

Many many ! I gave up twice . Once years ago, when it was a visa you had to pick up yourself even if you lived a thousand Km away !!   Paris embassy were downright rude and unhelpful . I entered visa exempt.

This last December tried again. Online. Impossible, and another nasty woman warned me that I’d have to wait 6 to 8 weeks !!! What !! Never again.  I stayed 2 months instead of three as I couldn’t do a border hop due to Covid.  
Through their own stupidity they are loosing a fortune in visa fees. 

• Like 2

Is it really the case that the London Thai embassy expect to see a 5,000 Pound bank balance for the issuance of a sixty day tourist visa?

I am in the process of preparing an application for a sixty day tourist visa and the bank balance on the statement I have uploaded, but not submitted, is around 3,300 Pounds.

If they really require a bank balance of 5,000 Pounds that leaves me somewhat scuppered as my bank only issues statements on a monthly basis and the next statement is not due until around 7 August.  Even if I paid money in tomorrow it would not appear on a document the Thai embassy would/might accept until 7 August.

“Applicant is required to upload his/her passport pages which contain all travel records for the past 12 months (1 year) since the last international trip.”

More gibberish from the Thai E visa website.  My guess is that what they want is passport endorsements within the last twelve months.

Does anyone have a better informed view as to how this requirement is interpreted?

I uploaded a pdf file stating "not applicable" in the sections that didn't apply to me. I also uploaded a bank statement, flights and hotels as well as the declaration form.

I was declined twice in 8 days. I just received an email saying "visa application closed". 

I emailed them and even called with no response. Eventually I gave up and came on visa exempt.

That was in may and after over a month received a response saying I didn't upload enough documents.

Luckily I now on covid extension so it worked out fine

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Leon1980 said:

I uploaded a pdf file stating "not applicable" in the sections that didn't apply to me. I also uploaded a bank statement, flights and hotels as well as the declaration form.

I was declined twice in 8 days. I just received an email saying "visa application closed". 

I emailed them and even called with no response. Eventually I gave up and came on visa exempt.

That was in may and after over a month received a response saying I didn't upload enough documents.

Luckily I now on covid extension so it worked out fine

Yip, the entire system is woeful - but why should it be any different from officialdom IN Thailand...has the fingerprint of ill-thought out requirement logic steps with no checkbox below some questions that simply says "Not applicable".

Got my METV first time - but it was a fatiguing triplecheck of all requirements and an asnwer to one question that landed in my spam inbox which I luckily spotted.

I've applied just for myself for now, using the "Not applicable" documents to be able to submit the application. If it is successful I will do the same for my son.

I lived in Thailand for a number of years on a non-O so I know all about how "efficient" their visa system is. Silly me for thinking that a simple tourist visa for a holiday would be much easier!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WideWheels said:

Silly me for thinking that a simple tourist visa for a holiday would be much easier!

And how easy do you think it is for a Thai national to get a simple tourist visa for a holiday in the UK.

What goes around comes around, the old days are gone.

• Confused 4

I too found that E Visa site is requesting documents and information that is NOT required normally.

Previous years when applying for a Non O, just mailed in the required documents w passport  no problem, but e visa is a mess and I will be forced to enter visa exempt.

Also insurance companies for the NON O (retirement) now require a full year payment like a OA even to get the initial 90 day approval. They now call it “long stay insurance”. And do not issue 90 day based on Non O.

EVisa needs to reflect actual requirements for the particular visa requested and NOT MORE!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

And how easy do you think it is for a Thai national to get a simple tourist visa for a holiday in the UK.

What goes around comes around, the old days are gone.

Whenever one member posts this sentence I still wonder how they can really think ( even with half a brain ) that a Thai person applying for a visa in lets say the UK or USA or Switzerland is the same as a British , American or Swiss applying for a Thai visa? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found this explanation useful of how to apply for the eVisa - This is however 4 months old and hence quarantine and Thailand Pass was relevant to application then. Most value for me was getting confirmation of what are "Not relevant" questions and what to do with them.

Can anyone confirm that the eVisa process is still broadly similar to this now?

On 7/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

There are other similar errors on the e visa website. I have suggested people create a file stating it is not required for the visa being applied for.

I need your help big time.  I did a dry run for an EVisa application for METV and their form is not very well designed.  I am from Canada and I would like to apply for a Tourist Visa (M).  Where they ask where to stay in Thailand, I write down the name of the apartment where I stayed before, not a problem, but when they ask for the city, Pattaya is not even on the list.  One other option, it would be to stay at my wife’s house, but they ask for a proof or a letter of invitation, which is totally ridiculous. If I go to Thailand on a 30-day, I could get another 30 days.  Correct? After, if I go to Vientienne, can I get a Tourist Visa (M) for 6 months.  My last option would be to go to Savannaket for a marriage Visa.  Do you have a link telling me what would be required?  Thank you very much for your time.

Gerard.

Just book a hotel for one night that is refundable at Agoda or elsewhere and use that to show where you stay. You can just refund it if not needed. That's what I did. Just write hotel name in invitation. Nothing else needed for stay as long as it is not a STV visa. Just apply for normal TR visa or TR multiple 60 days.

Pattaya is not a Province. Its called Chonburi province.

Proof of financials could be paycheck or pension slip or bank statement.

20 minutes ago, martin81 said:

Gerard.

Just book a hotel for one night that is refundable at Agoda or elsewhere and use that to show where you stay. You can just refund it if not needed. That's what I did. Just write hotel name in invitation. Nothing else needed for stay as long as it is not a STV visa. Just apply for normal TR visa or TR multiple 60 days.

Pattaya is not a Province. Its called Chonburi province.

Proof of financials could be paycheck or pension slip or bank statement.

I’ll have to double check because it says “City” you are probably right.  But I want to apply for a Tourist Visa (M) because I booked my flight early May before the price went up and it is for 6 months. As you know, many things changed on the 1 July.