Strange morning at Tesco and Red light

SAFETY FIRST

Sorry you had a bad day.  Hopefully you wont experience it again any time soon.  

The guy pushing your bike with his truck.  He obviously doesn’t care about damaging property or injuring someone.  Unfortunately locals being kind and patient. It is perceived mostly for tourism that all the locals are kind, patient, and friendly.   Many are not.  
As for the foreigner in Lotus. .  Maybe he was trying to impress the lady he was with by trying to act like a tough guy.  Or maybe he was stressed out because he couldn’t drink any booze for the holidays.  And didn’t get a chance to drink any yet. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Next, around 9am I'm in Tesco, at the register, the checkout chick had a problem with her terminal. 
There was an elderly European guy (60 or 70) waiting behind with his wife/friend. Suddenly he starts to yell at me aggressively, telling me to FO and quite a few other nasties.

Were there words exchanged before or did he just start telling you to "FO" out of the blue?

Me thinks there's more to this than posted.

Edited by bbko

45 minutes ago, bbko said:

Were there words exchanged before or did he just start telling you to "FO" out of the blue?

Me thinks there's more to this than posted.

Yes, there was a couple of words said before the FO, if I remember he was yelling hurry up, blah, blah, I replied there's a problem with the system or to that effect, then the 4 letter words started. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The mornings are the best part of the day.

Most mornings I'm out riding the bicycle, today there was a marathon, the city is full of road blocks etc, I didn't want to get in the way so I went for a ride on the dark side on my scooter. 

Found some elephants, what a beautiful bloody animal.

Yes, after my Tesco experience I'm staying put in the house for the day, great day for indoors, 3 NRL games on today. 

wow they have heffalumps on the darkside, who knew? thanks for sharing, I never get past Soi Buakhao when I visit Patts.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Don't care WHO rebranded Tesco, Lotus's is still bad English. Aparrently it means Lotus'Smart, so I read somewhere.

thankfully we're not in farang land anymore and nobody seems to care about proppa English here. I think it's kinda cute that the Thais don't give a stuff.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

wow they have heffalumps on the darkside, who knew? thanks for sharing, I never get past Soi Buakhao when I visit Patts.

You're missing out on so much.

Pattaya and surrounding areas are amazing to see.
I'm regularly riding the outskirts and enjoying the beautiful scenery.

My PCX has nearly 100,000 kms, I've got a Ducati and Fortuner but riding locally on my PCX I enjoy the most.

Before covid, I wasn't exercising as much, I'd jump on my PCX early mornings and ride out to Silverlake one morning, Bira the next morning, then Lam Chabung and so on, to site see, living here in Pattaya for over 20 years I've traveled most small Soi's.

Afternoons are great for a ride, stopping at the small Thai convenience shops, sitting at one of those concrete tables and chairs and enjoying a lovely cold can of Chang and taking in the atmosphere, so rewarding, then riding to another shop doing the same. 

Soi Buakhao is a great place to sit and watch the world go by but not everyday. 
I have itchy feet, always got to move, see the sites. 

19 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, for reference (basic):

Lotus Supercenters were set up and operated by the CP Group in 1994. In 1998 the British Supermarket chain Tesco took a stake to create Tesco Lotus. In 2003 CP Group sold most of its shares leaving Tesco Lotus to rapidly expand throughout Thailand. When Tesco decided to pull out, in 2020 CP Group submitted the winning bid to purchase Tesco Lotus (Thailand) and Malaysian Tesco operations. During rebranding in 2021 by CP Group, Tesco was dropped and Lotus's was introduced. CP Group also own MAKRO in this part of the World. (Wikipedia)

Thanks for your answer. It does not explain why it’s now called Lotus’s and not Lotus 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, musicscene said:

Thanks for your answer. It does not explain why it’s now called Lotus’s and not Lotus 

Sorry I cannot find a reason why. When CP Group did the rebranding in 2021, this became the corporate logo:

220px-Lotus%27sPathumEdit.jpg

What a bad day.

Hopefully you have a nice evening and reset everything tomorrow.

Nice fellow to have such a low key temperament.  Many people may have gotten angry and escalated the problem.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

"never ever had any strange situations or issues with Thais." 

"there's a black pick up pushing my bike" " Chinese Thai guy"

Strange indeed. 

Like I said, the Chinese/Thai guy was a drunk driver, it wasn't a strange situation.

I spend a lot of time on Thailand roads and sadly, my experience with drunks on the road is a common occurrence. 

BTW, 'Frits', the offending European had a German accent, was that you at the checkout yesterday? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

What a bad day.

Hopefully you have a nice evening and reset everything tomorrow.

Nice fellow to have such a low key temperament.  Many people may have gotten angry and escalated the problem.

Thanks for your kind comment. 

I've learnt, over the years living in Thailand, if approached by a hostile foreigner keep your cool. 

The RTP don't approve of foreigners fighting etc., I've seen too many guys (foreigners) both deported for aggressive behavior. They don't care who's the instigator. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 2:52 PM, KannikaP said:

That's because it was thought up by a THAI !   5555

Yeah Thais are so dumb!!!!!!  

Actually it is a very common marketing initiative, even in big and clever America which is obviously a lot smarter than Thailand.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2014/03/chick-fil-a-spelling-why-so-many-brand-names-have-spelling-and-punctuation-errors.html

Do I like Lotus's?  No.  But I know the reason for it and it really doesn't bother me. And I certainly don't belittle Thais for it as CP are more successful than any of us on here - they seem to know what they're doing.

And it obviously works as I have seen so many threads on here about it.  

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Like I said, the Chinese/Thai guy was a drunk driver, it wasn't a strange situation.

I spend a lot of time on Thailand roads and sadly, my experience with drunks on the road is a common occurrence. 

BTW, 'Frits', the offending European had a German accent, was that you at the checkout yesterday? 

Frits is a Dutch name, Fritz is a German name.

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Frits is a Dutch name, Fritz is a German name.

Thank you for the explanation.

Aussies aren't familiar with the European names. 

I like the Dutch, Party People. 

I remember visiting the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam one morning. Enrty was a coin (goes to charity), get a tour, watch a video then drink as much Heineken as you can. 

We left the venue smashed. The exit was a small door which took you to a back alley, I threw up, then off to visit the ladies sitting behind the glass windows, got my rocks off, then off for a joint at one of the coffee shops. 

Netherlands Rocks, if it didn't get so cold, it would be my second home to Thailand.

BTW, did you bring your clogs from Holland, I brought my boomerang from Oz.

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thank you for the explanation.

Aussies aren't familiar with the European names. 

I like the Dutch, Party People. 

I remember visiting the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam one morning. Enrty was a coin (goes to charity), get a tour, watch a video then drink as much Heineken as you can. 

We left the venue smashed. The exit was a small door which took you to a back alley, I threw up, then off to visit the ladies sitting behind the glass windows, got my rocks off, then off for a joint at one of the coffee shops. 

Netherlands Rocks, if it didn't get so cold, it would be my second home to Thailand.

BTW, did you bring your clogs from Holland, I brought my boomerang from Oz.

I tried but couldn't get them in the overhead locker on the plane

klomp.jfif