UK national Thai Wife of 20 years - good lawyer desperatelty needed.

Gotalaugh

Hello, I have been married for 20 years and my Thai wife of over 20 years has virtually destroyed my business and assets in Thailand and now wants 50% of everything in the UK after destroying those businesses and assets in Thailand. Can anyone recommend a very good, exeperienced lawyer as I need to protect my daughter's inheritance as well as mine. I mean if you have 10 million and 1 party destroys 8 million do they really then share 1 million each?

I really would appreciatethat good lawyer maybe not from a big high end firm that takes a huge amount of what I have left for my daughter and I.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10

Thank you for your understanding. I have a business in Thailand and some property that is all in her name and in the pandemic I had to go to the UK to look after our daughter as our business that I made totally was closed down. Before leaving she told me it would be better if she were director as a Thai and now will not let me get the work visa to return and meanwhile is ruining the business for the sheer hell of it. She is (undiagnosed) bipolar and in return for putting up with it for so long  and giving her a life of opportunity she then wanted divorce. When I, finally relieved, said yes, a month later she changed her mind but there was no turning back as I could finally breathe again. My 18 year old daughter doing A levels received racist abuse from my mother and my father who is a dear man would hear none of it. We finally were able to move out of their house in England after 11 months because of Covid.  Then my daughter had a breakdown and I did and move forward to May of this year she messed with our daughters head so much she could not study at all and was under such mental stress our daughter had to block her. Prior to that the wife had not spoken to me in 6 months. So after wrecking all our assets and stuff in Thailand she now wants  half my property in the UK. We had a Thai lawyer in Thailand but he quit today saying it was too much for just him and his partner. The reason I want a Thai lawyer is I am trying to retrieve just something in Thailand of all I invested and to save what I will give to my daughter in England whilst I still have something. I need to know if she can still  do that in the UK and if everything can be considered including Thai assets. I need a good fair lawyer. Back to my example if we have 10 million and she destroys 8 million do we really get 1 million each?
If anyone has knowledge of a good reasonable lawyer to stick up for a foreigner, that will be great and much appreciated.

• Sad 2

if you are in england, find a local solicitor who deals in family matters. a quick google should point you in the right direction. a consultation will cost around 140 notes, and could be the best 140 nicker you've spent for a while. you may need some advice from an online thai lawyer as well, probably cost around 5000 baht, for advice only, there is a pinned topic on this forum.. somewhere. search for 'thai law' on the search bar... if you can't find it let us know and i'll have a lookie for the link. the england solicitor should be your first step though, they'll need your wives name, maybe ID to check there's no conlict of interest.

I and my daughter are in the UK right now. She will go to university in September and I need to get back to Thailand to save my business but of course I will not be able to come on the non immigrant B business visa. Perversely the wife is still in England at her relatives upcountry holding off going back to Thailand whilst ruining from afar as the director!
Yes, i will invest that 140 tomorrow. Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Gotalaugh said:

I did search for that Thai Law pinned article for some time but without joy. Jastheace if you find it that will be great.

here...

i wish you all the best of luck. sucks that she's in the uk though.

• Like 1

There are several good law firms that can handle your problems, but you didn't made it clear what budget you have for such undertaking, where are you situated, and what means dose the wife has financially to hire her own lawyer?...

Just for good order. Where did you get married and was it a legal marriage if you married in Thailand, registered at the Amphur as such, or simply a village wedding ?

Further you make reference to your Thai business.  Was this business registered as a partnership or was it a Ltd company ? If so, unless changed since, whom are the shareholders and the % of their holdings ?

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gotalaugh said:

I mean if you have 10 million and 1 party destroys 8 million do they really then share 1 million each?

I really would appreciatethat good lawyer maybe not from a big high end firm that takes a huge amount of what I have left for my daughter and I.

It seems to me you need a real good lawyer for that.

Do you think your approach to look for a not so expensive lawyer in this forum is a good idea?

You lost already 8 million. With a bad lawyer you will lose the rest. Get a good lawyer - and good lawyers are expensive.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Gotalaugh said:

I need to get back to Thailand to save my business

How can you save your business if your wife is in charge of that business?

Sorry to tell you, it's not YOUR business - even if you paid for it and made it happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How can you save your business if your wife is in charge of that business?

Sorry to tell you, it's not YOUR business - even if you paid for it and made it happen.

We don't know the legal status of that business as yet although I have asked the question, but I suspect you may be correct in your ascertain.

4 minutes ago, Gotalaugh said:

I was just married in the Bangrak district office 

OK thanks for the clarification on that. What is the status of your business in Thailand, Ltd co , partnership or other ?

AFAIK Siam Legal has a good reputation in Thailand. Not cheap.

You have my sympathy, after losing houses to two women in Australia i know how you feel.

Maybe out in left field, but I would suggest engaging a private investigator in the UK to see if there are any grounds to get her out of the UK.

Unfortunately I think the above posters are correct. It will be difficult to get anything back from your remaining Thai assets unless your wife agrees to sell and split with you. She will only agree this if she wants something from you (e.g. you have something to trade). For example, if she meets someone else and needs a quick divorce from you.

I think you will have to write off your assets in Thailand especially if you intend to remain in England.

As another poster suggested, you could transfer any assets in the UK to your daughter. Your wife might not carry through her threat to divorce you under UK law, and make a grab for half of your remaining assets in the UK. It will be a difficult process for her to understand and negotiate.

For example, you can claim 10 million in shared assets in Thailand against whatever you have in the UK, plus future incomes. It might be that she will only be entitled to the 10 million in Thailand, whether it exists or not. In any case, divorce and a financial agreement under UK law will not be easy for her to manage.

At the end of the day, she probably wants you to make an 'offer' to divorce under Thai law. From her perspective, this would be the path of least resistance.

In the meantime, you must take steps protect your UK assets and incomes. You'll need to talk to a UK lawyer about that.  

• Like 2

Lawyers in any country will squeeze what they can and an honest lawyer will advise you to avoid litigation. Try to mediate first, then if not, cut all connections with her, put a restraining order on her in the UK. Safeguard (hide) all of your UK assets, grab what you can and cut your losses with the Thai assets.  

Edited by RandolphGB

4 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Unfortunately I think the above posters are correct. It will be difficult to get anything back from your remaining Thai assets unless your wife agrees to sell and split with you. She will only agree this if she wants something from you (e.g. you have something to trade). For example, if she meets someone else and needs a quick divorce from you.

I think you will have to write off your assets in Thailand especially if you intend to remain in England.

As another poster suggested, you could transfer any assets in the UK to your daughter. Your wife might not carry through her threat to divorce you under UK law, and make a grab for half of your remaining assets in the UK. It will be a difficult process for her to understand and negotiate.

For example, you can claim 10 million in shared assets in Thailand against whatever you have in the UK, plus future incomes. It might be that she will only be entitled to the 10 million in Thailand, whether it exists or not. In any case, divorce and a financial agreement under UK law will not be easy for her to manage.

At the end of the day, she probably wants you to make an 'offer' to divorce under Thai law. From her perspective, this would be the path of least resistance.

In the meantime, you must take steps protect your UK assets and incomes. You'll need to talk to a UK lawyer about that.  

If you transfer anything into your daughter's name, it may be looked at as "Deprivation of assets" and would be looked on as a very bad legal move.

I suggest you set up new Banking for anything personal and business in the UK and with completely new banks to now.  Then close existing accounts including any joint accounts, letting them know that you are at "arms distance" from any debt accrued by your wife. 

Once completed, get a Solicitor etc to inform her of this.

Request via Solicitor to get your wife to pay family support and inform her of her legal rights.

Inform the"Home Office" that your marital situation has changed etc.

Get also a Thai Solicitor to check financials in Thailand and your liability and stop accounts from being utilised for personal income.

Good luck.

Edited by Pdavies99

IM not a lawyer and cant specific recommend one, but you ll need a good one.

Thailand: Siam Legal?

You were married in BK, so Thai ruling would be first in line priority?

IF you had the assets in UK prior to marriage then those assets belong to you.

Thai ruling. In Thailand however you put company, house in her name, saying it was all done by her own money, all though every one knows, you did it.

But it is Thai law.

Though weird you had to make her director before leaving. Weird you choose this construction at all, but ok its a choice.

With a divorce, i couldnt tell which legal way is followed then. The way of UK or Thai ways? In UK ways then it could be you loose half of your assets then.

If by UK ruling, the other assets in Thailand will also then be included in the divorce.

Then maybe you can even sue her for malpractices and include that with the divorce? 

Important to know, how is divorce handelt and where. If in UK and by UK ruling, you could have the problems about your UK assets. In Thailand maybe not.

Otherwise you have to refuse to divorce in UK and divorce in Thailand, but in Thailand you will loose the Thai assets, but not your UK's, IF you had the assets prior to Thai marriage.

First dont think anymore, anyhow positive about your wife, as it is WAR.

How long can she stay in UK? Kick her out, if possible. Preventing a UK divorce.

If UK divorce threatens your UK assets and you want to protect that.

But sure you need a pretty good lawyer, a real pitbull. You already had 2 lawyers quitting.

The best way with getting married, is too plan your divorce prior to it.

To hell with pink glasses and have prenups and so on. Mariage is a trap.

Once you had a wife, but you ended up with the devil.

Seen, heard, lived it.

If i could do my live again with the knowledge of now. It would be complete different, but ok no use crying over spilt milk.

And yes kids could be a victim of it all, take care of your daughter.

Not only now, but also later in time. 

Whatever money was spent or squandered while marriage and business were intact is water under the bridge.  I would scrap the Thai lawyer idea in your place.

You were married in Bang Rak, but if your marriage was not registered in the UK it does not exist in UK law.

What is wife's immigration status in the UK?  If your marriage was registered and she entered the UK as your wife, you need to move assets and legally separate quickly or she may try to grab half.  Maybe that's why she's in the UK.

If you can prove that assets in hand in UK were acquired before marriage then maybe she has no legal claim on them, depends on any "no fault" laws in play.

12 minutes ago, teelac777 said:

Whatever money was spent or squandered while marriage and business were intact is water under the bridge.  I would scrap the Thai lawyer idea in your place.

You were married in Bang Rak, but if your marriage was not registered in the UK it does not exist in UK law.

What is wife's immigration status in the UK?  If your marriage was registered and she entered the UK as your wife, you need to move assets and legally separate quickly or she may try to grab half.  Maybe that's why she's in the UK.

If you can prove that assets in hand in UK were acquired before marriage then maybe she has no legal claim on them, depends on any "no fault" laws in play.

"You were married in Bang Rak, but if your marriage was not registered in the UK it does not exist in UK law."   Are you sure about this?  I wasn't aware that an overseas legal marriage needed to be "registered" in the UK.  Do you have a link?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, teelac777 said:

If she is in the UK what is her immigration status?

Not the case if he registered a marriage in Thailand then it is automatically recognized in the UK, if divorce proceedings take place in the UK then all assets anywhere in the world can be taken into consideration(Scotland an N Ireland might have some differences.

See if you can talk to her and see what she wants

And get a consultation with a UK solicitor as mentioned