What the weakening baht means for Thailand’s economy

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The plunging value of the baht appears ominous and raises worrying questions about its impact on the Thai economy.

My lilly white bottom it is. £ was 44.01 yesterday , currently it's 43.8 ish. My books the £/baht is about 0.5% difference than previously - hardly an ominous fall

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

My lilly white bottom it is. £ was 44.01 yesterday , currently it's 43.8 ish. My books the £/baht is about 0.5% difference than previously - hardly an ominous fall

And compared to 10 years ago? 

What the weakening baht means for Thailand’s economy

Happy foreigners.  :thumbsup:

If TAT had a ounce of brains they would leverage the pro-foreign currency exchange rates as a selling point.
Then?  Drop all of the other silly Covid measures including mandatory testing, vaccinations, insurance, and such.
Leave the new tourism tax on place in order to cover one-off hospitalizations of Covid (or anything else).  It's a good idea.  It's significantly less expense for tourists with covering hospitalizing risk.  As far as I'm concerned, the mandatory insurance is a moneymaker for Friends Of the Thai Government.
Just levy the minimal tax on all tourist and it will offset any hospitalization expenses by tourists - without ripping tourists off for the benefit of the Thai insurance industry. 

These people are on the verge of a serious rebound in tourism if they don't "F" it up.  Legalized cannabis.  Liberalize alcohol lows for tourists.  Ditch the involuntary masks.  Get real and allow tourists to assume the risk they wish to assume. 
But - Personally I'd levy a hospitalization tax between 500 to 1000 THB per person.  It's peanuts but will cover most tourists for uneventful accidents and contracting the flu.  Thailand totally screwed up by throwing tourist into the Covid Prisons.  That was stupid, but their friends in Private Hospitals loved it. 
Cha-Ching!

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

That's because the UK economy is in an even bigger hole than Thailand - expect more pain for the GBPeso.  

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The manufacturing sector is complaining about rising production costs, as raw material and energy prices soar.

And with the cost of a Unit of Electricity set to rise to 5 Baht / Unit in September from the present price of 4.6 Baht / Unit, inflation will rocket even further as costs at the Factory Gates will rise.

This will make all products more expensive, and raise the price of Exports

Stagflation is well and truly here

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And with the cost of a Unit of Electricity set to rise to 5 Baht / Unit in September from the present price of 4.6 Baht / Unit, inflation will rocket even further as costs at the Factory Gates will rise.

This will make all products more expensive, and raise the price of Exports

Stagflation is well and truly here

I'm not sure that factories are on the same tariff. In fact, I doubt very much that they are. And I also don't know if their rate is also being increased. No doubt someone who does know will chip in soon....

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Did you notice the article talks about the value against the US$, and doesn't mention that mickey mouse money they use in the UK?

51 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Did you notice the article talks about the value against the US$, and doesn't mention that mickey mouse money they use in the UK?

Whilst I wouldn't call my own countries money entirely mickey mouse you make the valid point that the article relates to the Baht against its only Benchmark..... the USD period

Flutuations that others may claim are quite simply their own countries currency weakness against the USD on the opposite side of the pairings

Only the USD has a direct exchange rate against every worldwide currency....for the rest of us its a two pairings number crunch to get the bottom line something at least half of this forum simply cannot grasp lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think if you are coming to thailand and worrying about the baht 10 years ago, you may have a few issues

If you are not able to compare conversion rate history, you don't know what you're talking about. 

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not sure that factories are on the same tariff. In fact, I doubt very much that they are. And I also don't know if their rate is also being increased. No doubt someone who does know will chip in soon....

I am not sure which rates they will be paying for their Electricity either.

But for sure the rate thy are paying will also increase.

And dont forget, this increase will apply to all Commercial premises, including Hotels Etc Etc