You still think you can live on less than 50k a month month

23 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Why she not speak Thai?

Good point. She continuously asked questions like 'Why didn't your parents teach you English insted of Thai? And equally stupid, inappropriate and rude questions. I refused to translate many of her questions/comments into Thai for the driver. THE 'WIFE' never knew.

Another incident on same trip; AT 'Wifes demand we went to a western menu and not cheap restaurant for lunch and the 'wife' insisted on the driver joining the lunch.  I tried to convince her it would be much better for all to politely give the driver 200Baht cash and give him a time to return to the restaurant to pick us up. She wouldn't have it.

The driver couldn't read English, I discussed some items on the menu with him then the 'wife' called the waiter and ordered a roast beef and veg dish for him.

Next; the driver had never before eaten with a knife and fork. I quietly spoke to the waiter and asked him to take the plate back to the kitchen and have it cut into spoon size portions.

'Wife' said 'NO, I will teach him hor to use a knife and fork'. At this point I spoke quietly with her husband and mentioned that the driver was feeling very uncomfortable about being 'the center' of discussion/actions at the table and he wanted to leave the table. The husband (first time in Asia) couldn't underatdn why.

To break the situation I quietly asked the driver to come outside, gave him 500Baht, apologized for him being forced to be centre of attention, asked him to go and eat and come back and wait in the restaurant lobby area at xx:xx pm. I didn't ask him to come back to the table because I feared that the 'wife' would return to questioning him about everything.

19 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Rubbish. Loads of married fat guys. 60% of married people r fat and ugly.

All true, 20 yo naive Thai girl started work in my office in Bkk, she spoke advanced English, degree in accounting. 

We had about 10 farang male staff, all accountants.

About 6 were between 45 to 55 years old. The young lady took an instant shine to a 50 yo guy from London. Two years later they were happily married, 1 year later 1st kid. 

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

As this is now a Asia wide forum ,Im surprised expats living in the Philippines & vietn, Cambodia etc haven't communicated 

These other countries had their own forums and not many people join forums these days. 

• Confused 2

On 7/23/2022 at 1:13 PM, BritManToo said:

Agreed!

I'm much happier sitting at home playing on my phone/computer/Xbox than I ever was doing any job. When I was a SCUBA instructor we all hated the customers and couldn't wait to get away from them. (Obviously you'd pretend to like them so they'd go to restaurants where you got a commission with you)

Whats the best place in CM to live?

I don't like cities, but, I like the conveniences a city has to offer....

When I first started coming here I searched the city area & perimeter....

I found the Hang Dong area to be ideal for me....

I started at Doi Lo & found it too far out....Since then it's been the Hang Dong, Mai Hia, Kad Farang areas & all have been good.....

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

I don't like cities, but, I like the conveniences a city has to offer....

When I first started coming here I searched the city area & perimeter....

I found the Hang Dong area to be ideal for me....

I started at Doi Lo & found it too far out....Since then it's been the Hang Dong, Mai Hia, Kad Farang areas & all have been good.....

Ok thanks

Met a Aussie guy yesterday in a Pattaya  bar, wouldn't stop talking but he was interesting.

He was 65yo newly retired to Pattaya  showed me his Superannuation balance 520k AUD , he was continually worried this won't last him until his death , apparently spend 60k AUD last year in Pattaya alone !!

13 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Met a Aussie guy yesterday in a Pattaya  bar, wouldn't stop talking but he was interesting.

He was 65yo newly retired to Pattaya  showed me his Superannuation balance 520k AUD , he was continually worried this won't last him until his death , apparently spend 60k AUD last year in Pattaya alone !!

So this Aussie guy takes his Superannuation details out with him so he can show/impress strangers. Then brags about spending AUD 60k. 

He is not a retired expat, he is on a long holiday.

22 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

So this Aussie guy takes his Superannuation details out with him so he can show/impress strangers. Then brags about spending AUD 60k. 

He is not a retired expat, he is on a long holiday.

Well he had the super account on his phone ,yes showed anyone that would listen 

He doesn't want to go back to Australia for 2 years to qualify the pension, unfortunately Australia has a law that you must reside in Australia 2 years before claiming for the old age pension at 67yo 

so just wants to live off his 500k Australian money, and not go back ,whether he can is anyone's guess but I gathered he was lonely so continually hired the same girls from the go Go bars 

He is 65yo,he retired with 580k AUD in January 2021 when he was 64yo,

No house in Australia or assets, He has 520k left , I saw the balance , actually 516k Australian to be exact,scared it won't last he kept saying.

He was thinking of seeing a financial advisor 

He spent 60k (Australian money)  last year i because he as he said was entertaining 3-4 girls per night in his room!

Along with barfining  taking girls to overseas countries such as Phillipines & Cambodia 

Interesting he said he has to budget 140,000 baht a year for health insurance 

Can he live in Pattaya the next 25 years without going for the old age pension, probably not 

I guess he is  lonely .

Edited by georgegeorgia

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well he had it on his phone account 

He doesn't want to go back to Australia for 2 years to qualify the pension,so just wants to live off his 500k Australian money,whether he can is anyone's guess but I gathered he was lonely so continually hired the same girls from the go Go bars 

He has 520k left ,scared it won't last 

He spent 60k Australian last year i because he as he said was entertaining 3-4 girls per night in his room!

Along with barfining  taking girls to overseas countries such as Phillipines & Cambodia 

Interesting he said he has to budget 140,000 baht a year for health insurance 

I guess he is  lonely .

You can see why his head has been turned................................and how he managed to leave his brain at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Most certainly not knocking what he is doing, but that is not the lifestyle of a resident expat - that is what you do on your winter holiday.

Doing the math, and allowing a bit for inflation he will run out of money when he is 72/73 years old. Then he will know what "lonely" really means.

A potential member for the Pattaya Flying Club!

He will have to go back eventually to Australia to claim the pension,that's the only way I see it.

And why not ?

If you paid your taxes all your life you deserve the aged pension!!!

Even if he curbs his spending , his superannuation of 500k Australian won't be enough!

No idea what he done with his money all his life,said he was a bus driver apparently,never owned a house in Australia just rented his working life but I gathered he was a monger all his life, booze ,women in Brazil  & Philippines , but who can blame him .he had a good life I guess 

Managed to save 580k super ,retired at 64 ,now 65 he has 520k AUD left to last him another 15-20 years 

But 140,000 b a year on insurance ????

Edited by georgegeorgia

On 7/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, Neeranam said:

How much do you drink?

Massage every day, do pensioners do that in Oz?

If you live in a normal Thai town, not a large brothel, you can rent a nice little house for 2,000 baht a month, and spend about 300 baht a day for nice meals. 20k is more than enough. 

Some pensioners lose their sense of everything when they move here. 

Send us pictures of a  nice little house for 2000 baht, donn't believe that for a minute.

I rented a place while my house was being built in a nonrmal small thai town about 10 years ago and it was a toilet.

26 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

He spent 60k (Australian money)  last year i because he as he said was entertaining 3-4 girls per night in his room!

He's a liar - he'd have spent a helluva lot more than 60K Oz had he been doing this.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Newly retired to Pattaya yet had already spent an entire year there and figured out how to blow 60K

On 7/23/2022 at 6:47 AM, scorecard said:

All true, 20 yo naive Thai girl started work in my office in Bkk, she spoke advanced English, degree in accounting. 

We had about 10 farang male staff, all accountants.

About 6 were between 45 to 55 years old. The young lady took an instant shine to a 50 yo guy from London. Two years later they were happily married, 1 year later 1st kid. 

a 20 year old with a degree? Means she started college when she was 16.

And with advanced English?

Poppycock!

On 7/22/2022 at 11:02 AM, LaosLover said:

You can be as courteous and sanuk-ish as you want, but if they think you stink (and they do), "warm feelings" are only going to make you the grudging best of a sorry (and stinky) lot.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I want to move to Australia. Sparktrader says that fully 50% of the women there are hot to trot.

Are you hot to trot?

If not who cares if the women in Australia are hot and why would you want to move there?

You think they are into you?

On 7/22/2022 at 12:04 PM, LaosLover said:

My all time personal best was 4 trips to the well, with my wife about a dozen years ago.

We were new, we were rampant, we were in Amsterdam fighting jet lag and zonked on Jack Herr, a pot strain apparently only available within sight of the train station.

If you have to brag how many times in a public forum, it never happened.

Now let go of yourself and your sick fantasy.