You still think you can live on less than 50k a month month

28 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

a 20 year old with a degree? Means she started college when she was 16.

And with advanced English?

Poppycock!

You're wrong.

There's many reasons why folks may have developed good English, perhaps some are in circumstances where they are exposed to English regularly when they are just kids, all meaning that they can easily soak up what they hear and develop languages quickly. 

Some degrees are 4 years, but not all. Some unis offer fast track studies. I've taught at 1 uni in Bkk  where the students attended Monday to Friday and if they wished also attended more courses on Sat or Sun or both. Therefore reducing the total time to say 3 years. 

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, CappuccinoAl said:

I can live on 30K a month with few problems. As someone else said <10K rent (all in) my food budget (I cook and eat well) is <8K. That leaves nearly 12K a month of play money (yeah, clothes, shoes come out of that too) but I find that's enough.

I have a motorbike to get around and I go out whenever I feel like it. I did make one big move and that was, for all intents and purposes, quit the bar scene (maybe twice a month now, 2-3 beers and outta there) which saves about 8K a month, I haven't been an 'at home' drinker for many, many years. No interest in sitting alone at home getting drunk,  so no issues there.

Then they legalized weed...damn... 

*checks budget...

What's your lifestyle like?

So you only go out a few times a month, what do you do the rest of the time?

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

You're wrong.

There's many reasons why folks may have developed good English, perhaps some are in circumstances where they are exposed to English regularly when they are just kids, all meaning that they can easily soak up what they hear and develop languages quickly. 

Some degrees are 4 years, but not all. Some unis offer fast track studies. I've taught at 1 uni in Bkk  where the students attended Monday to Friday and if they wished also attended more courses on Sat or Sun or both. Therefore reducing the total time to say 3 years. 

Some are 2 years

• Like 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Can he live in Pattaya the next 25 years without going for the old age pension, probably not 

Quite possibly. If he invests it well he should be able to get a return of about 9% PA. giving him an income of around 45K AUD a year or about 20000B a week. Should be doable.

46 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Quite possibly. If he invests it well he should be able to get a return of about 9% PA. giving him an income of around 45K AUD a year or about 20000B a week. Should be doable.

9% per annum - can you please share some details / ideas. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Can you provide a link to a good one ?

Hostplus and Aware are some of the top rating funds. Given current market conditions you may need to take a higher risk option to get those returns. It all really depends on how much risk you are willing to accept.

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Some shares. Google high yield shares.

There are a couple, but certainly not many, and even less which you would consider as low risk and likely to be reliable to keep paying year after year, and of course all relative to the price you can get in at.... Off the top of my head at the moment perhaps RIO, PSN (but this seems risky and unsustainable), ZIM (again pretty temperamental sector) MNG, couple of the sin ones like BATS and IMB were paying above 10% but not with if you are buying in now.. US shares not really my bag as I am taxed 30% on dividend, not sure if an Aussy would be.

Not easy to get reliable 9% yield without taking some pretty large gambles and you also have to be ok with seeing your portfolio value fluctuate a lot. Would say 5-6% would be a much more reliable target with bigger more stable blue chips with less fluctuation.

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

There are a couple, but certainly not many, and even less which you would consider as low risk and likely to be reliable to keep paying year after year, and of course all relative to the price you can get in at.... Off the top of my head at the moment perhaps RIO, PSN (but this seems risky and unsustainable), ZIM (again pretty temperamental sector) MNG, couple of the sin ones like BATS and IMB were paying above 10% but not with if you are buying in now.. US shares not really my bag as I am taxed 30% on dividend, not sure if an Aussy would be.

Not easy to get reliable 9% yield without taking some pretty large gambles and you also have to be ok with seeing your portfolio value fluctuate a lot. Would say 5-6% would be a much more reliable target with bigger more stable blue chips with less fluctuation.

Fmg,bhp,rio,hvn

Anz and wbc 6%+

Lower risk than many

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Fmg,bhp,rio,hvn

Anz and wbc 6%+

Lower risk than many

Yeah HVN looks ok, new one to me- a few aussie furniture companies and auto accessories are doing well at the moment.  FMG, BHP, RIO and then ANZ, WBC- all decent shares but you are going with a pretty narrow load of options if a sector is hit. Personally dont get into banking shares much, and the minerals are all good, but you would be crazy to stick your last 500K all in one or two sectors.

Anyway sure there are some decent shares out there, but throwing 9% around like its easy is a bit much. Bet if you asked Warren Buffet would he take a secure 5% now he would take your hand off.

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

Yeah HVN looks ok, new one to me- a few aussie furniture companies and auto accessories are doing well at the moment.  FMG, BHP, RIO and then ANZ, WBC- all decent shares but you are going with a pretty narrow load of options if a sector is hit. Personally dont get into banking shares much, and the minerals are all good, but you would be crazy to stick your last 500K all in one or two sectors.

Anyway sure there are some decent shares out there, but throwing 9% around like its easy is a bit much. Bet if you asked Warren Buffet would he take a secure 5% now he would take your hand off.

Sul

Arb 

Ape

Bit lower but ok

The key to dividends is retained earnings and low debt

That buffers hard times

On 7/20/2022 at 9:44 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Can earn under 65k per month if you have 800k in a Thai bank apparently 

How do you guys go withdrawal of your overseas pension paying the 220b ATM fee?

Move your whole pension to a Thai bank in one transfer each month. CBA in Australia charge $22 per transfer, and Bangkok Bank charge 500 baht for the incoming transaction. You lose ever so slightly on exchange rates because J.P.Morgan in NY clip it on the way through, but on $10K out of Australia the fees amount to 2,000 baht total. ATM fees every time you need cash will kill you. Get a Thai bank account.

Good to factor in payout ratios. If 95% then the yield is maxed. If 53% like hvn the the yield of 8.33% now could be lifted.

Potential yield 8.33/0.53 = 15.7% at 100% payout.

Thats called earnings yield.

Eps/price.

Look for 6% div yield and 12% earnings yield.

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You really do excel in finding stocks that have performed well in the past

If only you could transfer that into finding stocks which will perform well in the future ?

I know which ones do you? Sounds like you dont

42 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Zim above 40% earnings yield

Psn?? 

11 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Zim above 40% earnings yield

Psn?? 

Zim is and other shippers are benefiting from the cargo rates, but it could all end anytime. Currently great, but how long will it last? Who knows. Its a risk again so hardly stable and good for someone investing their funds.

PSN- Persimmon- UK housebuilder.