Applying for Non-O in USA via thaievisa.go.th

I'm trying to apply for a non-O in the US and used the https://thaievisa.go.th website since I thought that was the new system since COVID (I used it to get a COE last year). It's been 1 week already and they haven't responded so I'm actually curious now, is this the correct way even? I will be sending my passport to the LA embassy since it's closest to me (Colorado) so I referenced their website but notice the DC website doesn't mention anything about doing it online and just provides a download link. 

https://thaiconsulatela.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-o-family-member

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

Anyone have any experience doing this recently and does it just take more than 1 week?

Also one other question if anyone may know. The LA page said proof of ticket TO Thailand which I provided but the online system required me to enter a return flight also, which I don't have because I'm planning to do my 12 month extension once there. I just put in a random date but there's reason to believe they would reject me for this. Has anyone applied with the non-O via this system and not provided the return ticket?

i found la consulate to be very confusing   they redirected me to DC consulate    

they do want a return  ticket easy to get and then cancel

also 2 months ago they would not accept pdf docs  ...  i had to scan pdf into jpeg  then all good ..  

guessing yes over a week 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It can take more than a week to get approval of you application.

The 2nd link you posted appears to be very old.

The is newest one on the site. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/foreigners_family/

Joe: as a matter of interest, I looked up requirements for Canadians

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/th/retirement-visa/

where it calls for health insurance of 400,000/40,000 for the year.  Is this regulation still operative or was it a Covid regulation only?

13 minutes ago, blazes said:

Joe: as a matter of interest, I looked up requirements for Canadians

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/th/retirement-visa/

where it calls for health insurance of 400,000/40,000 for the year.  Is this regulation still operative or was it a Covid regulation only?

I got a Non O ( retirement ) from Vancouver in May. Yes you will need the health insurance for at least the 90 days, I had existing insurance from a previous O-A. Contact the Embassy I know it says 'for the year' I think 90 days coverage at least should get you through the application.....

2 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

I got a Non O ( retirement ) from Vancouver in May. Yes you will need the health insurance for at least the 90 days, I had existing insurance from a previous O-A. Contact the Embassy I know it says 'for the year' I think 90 days coverage at least should get you through the application.....

Thanks.  What did the insurance cost and was it Thai or Canuck insurance?

(I am well over 65!!)

1 minute ago, blazes said:

Thanks.  What did the insurance cost and was it Thai or Canuck insurance?

(I am well over 65!!)

I had Thai Pacific Cross Health. Ubonjoe will give you a Thai Health insurance companies link, find out from the Embassy if you need 90 days or 1 year coverage, Canuck insurance should be fine as well if you are covered abroad.....

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm trying to apply for a non-O in the US

Just be aware of what ubonjoe mentioned above.

You can obtain a non O inside Thailand having entered visa exempt or tourist visa.

Currently a common pathway with good reason.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm trying to apply for a non-O in the US and used the https://thaievisa.go.th website since I thought that was the new system since COVID (I used it to get a COE last year). It's been 1 week already and they haven't responded so I'm actually curious now, is this the correct way even?

It is my understanding that the US is on the E-visa platform and you would be right in what you say.

From 18 February 2021, visa applicants in the United States are required to apply online through the website https://www.thaievisa.go.th/. For instructions on the Thailand e-visa, please check the User Manual or watch the Video User Manual.

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

That being the case the questions would be have you opened the latest version of the website and not one from your cache, and then did you follow the instructions. It is a stickerless system and you do not need to send passport away.

You need to create an account, select the required visa and answer the questions. They will come back to you if there is any query on the docs. You have to complete all the questions one way or another and there is a bit of farting about doing a selfie with passport. You need to submit the application and then you can check the status of the application at any time.

On the website the first thing you will see is this statement.

Attention : From 1 July 2022, proof of quarantine hotel/hospital booking is no longer required. Health insurance(s) are required only for Special Tourist Visa (STV), and Long-Stay Visas (Non-Immigration OA and OX) applications.

I have just got a Non O marriage from the UK using the same website, the only difference is your application will be directed to the US embassy rather than London and any queries on the documents will come from them.

I didn't have much problem with the application, it asked for a flight number to BKK but only an intended return date. I just put a date 90 days forward as I also intend to get extension. I wasn't asked for flight details.

The guidance says all documents should be in English so I sent translated marriage certificate, within 24 hours they asked for the Thai version and I still received the visa in 3 days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm trying to apply for a non-O in the US and used the https://thaievisa.go.th 

Further to my previous post, if you did actually create an application on this website you can return to the website, sign in and see the status at any time.

You should also check your junk folder, a response from the embassy may have gone there.

Even if it is incomplete it will remain on the system for 14 days. You can edit the information, other than the first page up, until the application is submitted.

If you need to change the first page you would have to create a new application and remove the original.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ifmu said:

i found la consulate to be very confusing   they redirected me to DC consulate    

they do want a return  ticket easy to get and then cancel

Darn it but thanks for telling me. I order from Orbitz sometimes and they have a 24 hour free cancelation policy at least.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It states both amounts of insurance that appears to be a mistake. But you only need 90 days coverage fort the Non-O visa application since that is your allowed stay from the visa.

Many people have decided to enter visa exempt and then apply for the Non-O visa at immigration.

Darn it again. I thought it would be easier doing it online than waiting in line at immigration but having to buy insurance will be a problem.

Btw, I'm applying for the visa on the basis of marriage to Thai national and I didn't see any insurance requirement on the form I submitted so maybe that only applies for retired folks?

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If you need to change the first page you would have to create a new application and remove the original.

Well I already paid their $80 fee but I'm going to get rejected I think because I didn't provide a return ticket even though they asked for it. There was some other field which was N/A so I thought they may let the return ticket go also. I'm getting a 12 month extension anyways so this plane ticket is unfair and necessary.

38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It is a stickerless system and you do not need to send passport away.

Really? I thought I had to send the passport in via snail mail and get the stamp. Good for them if that's really the case.

As for your remarks on flights, they did ask for a return date and my itinerary which is the return flight which I bought in Thailand, i.e. one way to Thailand.

18 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Really? I thought I had to send the passport in via snail mail and get the stamp. Good for them if that's really the case.

As for your remarks on flights, they did ask for a return date and my itinerary which is the return flight which I bought in Thailand, i.e. one way to Thailand.

Yes. I have my visa to return and I haven't left for the UK yet, next week.

As said I also did Non O marriage. On the third page, they ask for the arrival date and a flight number, then an intended departure date.

There is nowhere on the supporting documents that asks for flight details to be uploaded. List attached

The website is common and emails will come from @mfa.go.th, any response you make will go to the US embassy address.

Having paid the fee you have obviously submitted an application, have you checked the current status?

Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa_4.pdf

Edited by sandyf

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Having paid the fee you have obviously submitted an application, have you checked the current status?

Yes I checked and it's just not completed yet but I didn't realize I didn't need to send my passport in the mail.

It's no problem yet I'll just wait for their response and see what they say.

47 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Btw, I'm applying for the visa on the basis of marriage to Thai national and I didn't see any insurance requirement on the form I submitted so maybe that only applies for retired folks?

I was replying to another persons post about a non-o for retirement.

Insurance is not required for the non-o your are applying for.

Just as a matter of interest, the Thai embassy site in New Zealand says the 800k baht needs to be in the bank 2 months before application...is that correct and if not, how does a person inform the Embassy they are incorrect??? cheers

3 hours ago, NZAMBOY said:

Just as a matter of interest, the Thai embassy site in New Zealand says the 800k baht needs to be in the bank 2 months before application...is that correct and if not, how does a person inform the Embassy they are incorrect??? cheers

I assume you read this.

"Copy of the applicant's bank statement for the past 2 months showing a balance of at least 800,000 Baht (or the equivalent) OR a certificate of income confirming a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht"

Source: https://wellington.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/81086-non-immigrant-visa-o-other

Note it states it can be the equivalent of 800k baht that could be in your bank in New Zealand or elsewhere.

I assume you noted the insurance requirement on the list. The might really ask for $100.000 US insurance instead of the 400k/40k baht insurance mentioned.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you read this.

"Copy of the applicant's bank statement for the past 2 months showing a balance of at least 800,000 Baht (or the equivalent) OR a certificate of income confirming a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht"

Source: https://wellington.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/81086-non-immigrant-visa-o-other

Note it states it can be the equivalent of 800k baht that could be in your bank in New Zealand or elsewhere.

I assume you noted the insurance requirement on the list. The might really ask for $100.000 US insurance instead of the 400k/40k baht insurance mentioned.

So, applying for O-A visa from NZ, the 800k baht needs to be seasoned  for 2 months in other words??

• Haha 1

Hey guys, so the today these did indeed approve me visa without a return ticket out of Thailand (I only provided a roundtrip ticket leaving and then returning to Thailand. This was the L.A embassy in case anyone wants to know if the future. I would say this was less hassle than appearing in person in Chiang Mai and waiting for at least 2 hours then returning again in 2 weeks and spending even more time. Less paper work also which was nice.

In the receipt PDF they didn't say I needed to send in my passport so I assume (as was mentioned) I can simply present this at immigration entering the country and they will give me the stamp there. Right?

19 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Hey guys, so the today these did indeed approve me visa without a return ticket out of Thailand (I only provided a roundtrip ticket leaving and then returning to Thailand. This was the L.A embassy in case anyone wants to know if the future. I would say this was less hassle than appearing in person in Chiang Mai and waiting for at least 2 hours then returning again in 2 weeks and spending even more time. Less paper work also which was nice.

In the receipt PDF they didn't say I needed to send in my passport so I assume (as was mentioned) I can simply present this at immigration entering the country and they will give me the stamp there. Right?

I returned to Thailand in June with a Non O E-visa from an Embassy, print off your emailed visa and give it to them, ensure you are stamped for the 90 days and a small ink Non O is stamped... I'm certain its in their system anyhow through the Embassy application.........keep another copy or copies for Thai immigration visits.......

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1