How to buy SIM Card? Which network is good value for the Internet?

6 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Currently available for Truemove H SIM activated at least a year ago:

Unlimited 4 Mbps 150 baht per month

Unlimited 4 Mbps + free calls to all networks, 165 baht per month

Unlimited 10 Mbps 200 per month

Unlimited 10 Mbps + free calls to all networks, 220 baht per month

Codes can be found if you look around or you can communicate with a suitable vendor.

I guess DTAC offers comparable?

I want to switch from True to DTAC and would be interested in the

"Unlimited 10 Mbps + free calls to all networks, 220 baht per month" or similar.

36 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"Unlimited 10 Mbps + free calls to all networks, 220 baht per month" or similar.

You guessed wrongly ???? 

Even if you port your Truemove H number to a new DTAC SIM, there is no guarantee that the USSD code(*104*345*9#) for their 15 Mbps for 200 baht pack is still working. Now only showing 2 to 10 Mbps packs attached to user applicable USSD codes.

AIS's 15 Mbps USSD code confirmed to be still working..

The Truemove H offer is attached to Truemove H. I have no idea as to how your brain extrapolated that to being available on DTAC. That package is currently 350 baht via DTAC.

Cheaper to grab one of DTAC's annual SIM in that case, especially if you have a dual SIM phone. 

Edited by Bruno123

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

You guessed wrongly ???? 

Even if you port your Truemove H number to a new DTAC SIM, there is no guarantee that the USSD code(*104*345*9#) for their 15 Mbps for 200 baht pack is still working. Now only showing 2 to 10 Mbps packs attached to user applicable USSD codes.

The Truemove H offer is attached to Truemove H. I have no idea as to how your brain extrapolated that to being available on DTAC. That package is currently 350 baht via DTAC.

Cheaper to grab one of DTAC's annual SIM in that case, especially if you have a dual SIM phone. 

If still working, the code for new DTAC SIM and applying 15 Mbps plus free calls to any network, is *104*577*9# 200 baht per month.

But again, no guarantees that it will be working by the time you want to use it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

The original post was in answer to someone requesting packs to add to existing SIM. Both DTAC and Truemove H have options to add packs to existing SIM, as opposed to within seven days on a new SIM.

Anyone with an existing DTAC number, can apply unlimited 1, 4 & 10 Mbps packs over 90, 180 & 365 days.

i.e.

1 Mbps over 180 days @ 1069 baht. 1 Mbps over 365 days @ 1711 baht.

4 Mbps over 180 days @ 1283 baht. 4 Mbps over 365 days @ 2139 baht.

10 Mbps over 180 days @ 2139 baht. 10 Mbps over 365 days @ 3209 baht.

90 days; 748, 1069 & 1711 baht respectively.

All can be added via USSD code.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 6:59 AM, CharlieH said:

Depends entirely on what do you want to use it for and how long are you here for?

More info you give the better the responses

And where abouts in the country you are. Some areas have better reception than others

9 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

And where abouts in the country you are. Some areas have better reception than others

Plus some promotions can only be applied in certain areas. Can be utilised anywhere, but the registration has to be done initially in certain areas.

e.g. AIS's 4 Mbps Unlimited pack for new SIM @ 150 baht. If done in the specific areas, you'll get free and unlimited(other than 15 minute per call restriction) any network calls. Otherwise you'll only be eligible for the pack without the free any network calls.

4 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Just ordered the True Thor 15MBPS unlimited for 1790 on Shoppee. 

Thanks Bruno and other posters.

Was it the True ID Ultimate package that pushed you to spend 400 baht more over the DTAC offer? ????

Not that it would make any difference to you, but DTAC offer 30 Mbps at a lower price than Truemove H 15 Mbps.

https://shopee.co.th/เลือกเบอร์-Sim-DTAC-30mbps-ซิมเทพดีแทค-รายปี-ซิมเทพ-ซิมเน็ตเทพ-จ่ายครั้งเดียว-ใช้งาน-1ปี-เทพโมบาย-เน็ตไม่อั้น-ไม่ลดสปีด-i.542794460.17528182954

or

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/30mbps-dtac-muntookdee-i2915457737-s10682542309.html

Personally I would have tested the network locally before springing for a 12 month SIM, but that's just the way I would do it.

26 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Was it the True ID Ultimate package that pushed you to spend 400 baht more over the DTAC offer? ????

Not that it would make any difference to you, but DTAC offer 30 Mbps at a lower price than Truemove H 15 Mbps.

https://shopee.co.th/เลือกเบอร์-Sim-DTAC-30mbps-ซิมเทพดีแทค-รายปี-ซิมเทพ-ซิมเน็ตเทพ-จ่ายครั้งเดียว-ใช้งาน-1ปี-เทพโมบาย-เน็ตไม่อั้น-ไม่ลดสปีด-i.542794460.17528182954

or

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/30mbps-dtac-muntookdee-i2915457737-s10682542309.html

Personally I would have tested the network locally before springing for a 12 month SIM, but that's just the way I would do it.

I paid the extra for True because my home package that gave me 5 MBPS free on my mobile was True and worked perfectly everywhere whereas I've never tried DTAC. Just about every bar and restaurant has free wifi so it's only really on the beach where I can't connect or if I have to go somewhere in the car and need GPS.

40 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I paid the extra for True because my home package that gave me 5 MBPS free on my mobile was True and worked perfectly everywhere whereas I've never tried DTAC. Just about every bar and restaurant has free wifi so it's only really on the beach where I can't connect or if I have to go somewhere in the car and need GPS.

*5 GB.

Understood ????  Though better to have your own connection than to depend on free WiFi.

Was just surprised that you went for the most expensive option for occasional use. Not that 50 baht per month is a huge difference. Possibly worth it for the jump from 6 Mbps to 15 Mbps.

Edited by Bruno123

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

*5 GB.

Understood ????  Though better to have your own connection than to depend on free WiFi.

Was just surprised that you went for the most expensive option for occasional use. Not that 50 baht per month is a huge difference. Possibly worth it for the jump from 6 Mbps to 15 Mbps.

Yes 5GB, sorry.

Yes, more than I wanted to pay but I have no idea if 6 or 15 is enough, initially I was going for the AIS with 100 GB max but I didn't really understand it.

2 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Yes 5GB, sorry.

Yes, more than I wanted to pay but I have no idea if 6 or 15 is enough, initially I was going for the AIS with 100 GB max but I didn't really understand it.

Unless you are streaming Full HD video or downloading/uploading large files, 6 Mbps would likely have been enough for your described usage.

People usually want higher speeds for media; e.g video in 4k resolution. 

15 Mbps is likely more than you need. Not that it matters, beyond you paying a little more. But yes, the 1200 baht option would have suited your purpose.

To put the 100 GB thing in perspective....Imagine that a good quality Full HD movie is 3 GB; using the 15 Mbps AIS Marathon, you would be able to watch one movie a day and nothing else. But you could download the movie in twenty seven minutes.

With an unlimited 6 Mbps connection, it would take sixty seven minutes to download the movie, but you could download twenty movies in a twenty four hour period.

Better for GPS maps as you don't have to be concerned about running out of data with a fixed limit. Not that you likely would, given your description of your usage.

I guess there may still be the option to cancel and re-order if you don't want to spend that much on an occasional use SIM.

As an aside, AIS also have a six month option of unlimited 8 Mbps and unlimited in-network calls for 950 baht.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

My sim card arrived today so off I went to True with my passport to get it activated.

Now the card says True 5G world with a small leaflet. Nowhere does it say Thor which is what the vendor was calling it I believe so how do I check the sim is what I was expecting?

1 minute ago, YorkshireTyke said:

My sim card arrived today so off I went to True with my passport to get it activated.

Now the card says True 5G world with a small leaflet. Nowhere does it say Thor which is what the vendor was calling it I believe so how do I check the sim is what I was expecting?

Login to True using your number, find the app or online

15 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Try dialling *900# or *935# and then pressing the Call key

On 7/24/2022 at 3:32 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I already have that often the best sim deals are not in shops but are on Lazada or Shopee

My comment: 'But will you' referred to a learning  curve  beyond  the limitations of sim cards. Your response confirms my thoughts.

I am unclear why this thread  defaulted to 'cheapest' service  not most excellent. This is what I aspire  to - the best not the cheapest.

Try not to project your own mediocrity of experience and aspiration onto the other people. That way you will learn more.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

My comment: 'But will you' referred to a learning  curve  beyond  the limitations of sim cards. Your response confirms my thoughts.

I am unclear why this thread  defaulted to 'cheapest' service  not most excellent. This is what I aspire  to - the best not the cheapest.

Try not to project your own mediocrity of experience and aspiration onto the other people. That way you will learn more.

Ridiculous, it's about speed, data, signal and price, simple as that, you sound like a luddite 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 1:16 PM, Bruno123 said:

You guessed wrongly ???? 

Turns out the DTAC code is still good.

Thank you!

Edited by JimmyJ

4 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Turns out the DTAC code is still good.

Thank you!

I hope you chose the code with free calls ????

On 8/2/2022 at 9:26 AM, Bruno123 said:

If still working, the code for new DTAC SIM and applying 15 Mbps plus free calls to any network, is *104*577*9# 200 baht per month.

But again, no guarantees that it will be working by the time you want to use it.

• 11 months later...
On 8/4/2022 at 6:47 PM, YorkshireTyke said:

Received a sms in Thai but clearly says 15mbps 365 (days) 3/8/2566 23.59.59 so I'm happy with it.

See you in 365 days time ????

Hey Bruno

What is the current best sim for internet occasional usage away from home?

My one expires on the 4th.

The one I had was perfect for my usage, I don't download anything on my phone or watch movies etc

Anyone else know of current offers? I looked at recent thread but everyone seems to be bickering about unlimited and speed tests !

1 hour ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Hey Bruno

What is the current best sim for internet occasional usage away from home?

My one expires on the 4th.

The one I had was perfect for my usage, I don't download anything on my phone or watch movies etc

Anyone else know of current offers? I looked at recent thread but everyone seems to be bickering about unlimited and speed tests !

If you are still happy with Truemove H, they have four options, official prices ranging from 1,650 to 1,999 baht. 
Same as you have currently is now 1999, though you might find it for as little as 1870. But I chose a LazPick option: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/a-lot-tech-true-thor-15mbps-sim-15mbps-unlimited-sim-net-i2318096779-s7824608054.html

• Thanks 1