Pope Francis visiting Canada to apologize for Indigenous abuse in Catholic residential schools

Scott

Pope Francis visiting Canada to apologize for Indigenous abuse in Catholic residential schools

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

At the time, yes. Although how many were forcibly taken, how many were taken at the request of the parents, and how many were taken as a result of parental neglect/abuse can be debated. They weren't all kidnapped in the dead of night by evil priests, in spite of what the media wants us to believe.

Native communities in Canada were scattered and tiny. There was no practical way to school the kids in their own home towns/villages/encampments.  So residential schools were set up as places to gather the kids in one place and educate them. Not a great choice, but the only other option was no schooling whatsoever.  Again, this was done as a result of treaty obligations requested by native leaders. It was not a unilateral decision on the part of the Church or government. 

So, once again it was OK to forcibly remove children from their parents?   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I didn't say that all the deaths were due to disease and illness. But the article failed to mention it, instead attempting to paint the picture of malicious and neglectful staff .  Perhaps they consider mortality due to disease to be neglect, but at the time it was very common in Canada. My grandmother lost 2 siblings to Spanish Flu and TB, it happened all the time. 

This is what you claimed:

37 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Now, the article from CNN contains several mistakes.  Yes, tragically thousands of children died in the residential schools. Most from diseases common to the times- tuberculosis, influenza, etc

Like I said can you point me to a link that substantiates that claim that the deaths were due to the causes you mentioned? Did you bother to read the source report?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

What is with people apologizing for something they had no control over.  Especially if happened before their time.  

As silly as people apologizing for being born white ... ????

2022 ... catch up & stop crying about the past.

You may find that the parents of some of those children forcibly taken and who consequently died appreciate the apology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is what you claimed:

Like I said can you point me to a link that substantiates that claim that the deaths were due to the causes you mentioned?

Here is something for you to ponder:

"Prior to the 1950s, death rates among children in IRS schools were appallingly high — far higher than for non-aboriginal school children. By today’s standards, many IRS schools were poorly constructed, poorly ventilated, and seriously overcrowded with children who were living on an inadequate diet. But were the churches primarily responsible for these serious shortcomings? Not at all.

https://theinterim.com/columnist/rory-leishman/the-truth-about-residential-schools/

Edited by Scott
Edited for Fair Use
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

He arrived in Edmonton yesterday.

Unbelievable amount of security, roads closed, an armada of police vehicles, all following a white Fiat 500 with the Pope riding shotgun with the window open and waving at people.

Post image

On 7/25/2022 at 12:27 AM, Scott said:

While in the country he will meet with Indigenous groups and address the scandal of abuse and erasure of indigenous culture in the country's residential schools.

Catholic indoctrination..

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

To force children away from homes and parents to be imprisoned in dormitories and forced to forget their own cultures teachings?

Try again.

Don't need to "try again". At the time, that was considered best practice for education. Same thing happened to the thousands of immigrant kids in Canada. They weren't allowed to speak their native tongues in school and were forced to learn Canadian values. Of course, today we know better. 

Plus, there is no evidence that they were all forced. Many attended voluntarily, many were 'forced' by their parents and families, etc.  At this time, school attendence was made compulsory for ALL children in Canada, ot just natives. The image of evil priests ripping crying children from their parents' arms seems to be a fantasy. To the extent that children were forced into school attendance, there were often extenuating circumstances.

Pope Francis: Pontiff says he is 'deeply sorry' to Canadian residential school survivors

Pope Francis expressed "sorrow, indignation and shame" for the actions of many members of the Roman Catholic Church, who ran and operated majority of residential schools in Canada. The 85-year-old Pope called the schools system a "disastrous error" and asked for forgiveness "for the evil committed by so many Christians" against indigenous peoples. Bruce Allan, a survivor of one of the residential schools who was in attendance, said it was emotional to hear the Pope's apology, but many are still looking for action from the pontiff.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62296834

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, pegman said:

I wonder if any of the 1st nations that have found these thousands of suspected graves with  ground penetrating radar will ever dig one up to see what is there? 

At the original Kamloops site, the answer is no.  There are "consultations" with "elders" and "keepers of knowledge" in the community, but no actual forensic action.  Unfortunately but as I suspect you know, unsurprisingly, the media ran with the story and embellished it without waiting for evidence. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I assume the indigenous people will be apologising for the scalping and other forms of murder committed on missionaries and immigrants as surely everyone is in favour of unrestricted immigration.

This is the man who grovels in front of the Chinese Communist party allowing them to choose bishops, banning religious education, and imposing "hymns" to the greatness of the emperor, Mao and the CCP in churches.  This is the man who bans traditional Latin Mass but apologises to cannibals and lauds people who practiced slavery and human sacrifices on a massive scale.  What a man.  Pray for him.

Edited by thaibook
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

They were kidnapped in broad daylight by priests as were Australia's "stolen generation". Then they were often subjected to horrific child abuse, both sexually and by neglect. The unmarked graves are testament to the neglect. It's not just a few bad apples in the priesthood. The worldwide pattern of child abuse at the hands of the church demonstrates that the church has been little more than a haven for child abusers.

Yes there was abuse at the schools, which is despicable. Unfortunately, we now know that the priesthood as a profession attracts both the best and the worst of men. In those cases, the victims need to be compensated and the criminals punished/shamed.  The schools themselves were poorly funded, especially in the beginning, and the federal government contracted the Church to run them as the government didnt have the necessary capacity to do so. Churches already existed across the country (both Catholic and Anglican) so they were the natural choice for the program.

As an aside, both my wife and my son attended Catholic schools and the staff were exemplary. We aren't Catholic ourselves but the schools had well earned reputations for quality education. 

The "unmarked graves" have not yet been proven to exist. A few unmarked cemeteries have been found around some schools, but they were known in the communities for generations. Problem was they fell into disuse and disrepair. They were community cemeteries where all were buried, not secret places where evil school staff hid their victims.  Other places have had ground penetrating radar passed through, but no evidence of anything has been found. And curiously the local native communities don't seem to be in any hurry to conduct forensic investigations.

Your image of roving bands of priests ripping screaming children from wailing mothers is not accurate. Given the small number of priests and the vastness of the Canadian north, it just isn't realistic. It is a great image for publicity purposes, but that is all. Maybe a few cases but certainly not the norm. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Well, there was a $40 billion settlement by the Canadian government.... is that massive enough?

16 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

I wonder just how much money, the Catholic church will pay to the people that they affected? Same goes for any other Church, like the Anglicans, how much will they pay?  Just my thought on this situation.

Whatever a court decides. That can be appealed and appealed again.