Thai doctors say marijuana is a "danger" to society - call for immediate liberalization U-turn

webfact

11 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I'll wait for their petition for mandatory helmet wearing....I'll wait. 

But  guess no helmets, lots of alcohol and smoking is good business for doctors. Marijuana...not so much. 

The legislation is already in place for mandatory helmets, if some people choose not to comply then that is up to them. As long as helmets are available for those that choose to wear them then there is no need for anybody to get upset

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I never suggested that you did,  only that your links are also to articles written or produced by people and organisations with their own agenda and as such are equally meaningless

Feel free to substaniate that, love to see some examples of those links that are meaningless lol

• Haha 1

Why dont they ban the dangerous alcohol first the room that that frees up in hospitals should be more then adequate.   (tongue in cheek)

Anyway of course this should be kept away from kids, same goes for alcohol. Just set a minimum age for use. Is that so hard. Nobody ever says canabis is good for kids or good at all. Just less damaging als alcohol. 

But the fact they set nu rules for minimum age is stupid. But let adults decide and split this from the legalization issue. Because even people who are pro legalizing it dont want kids to use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Well I had an inkling that might be the case, but actually, I was waiting for you to confirm it for me with one of your "!inks" of course

Sure, from the horses mouth, The Marijuana Act Consideration Committee

Supachai also thanked the medical team and reassured them that their intention is the same – to expedite the enactment of laws as soon as possible to shut down the law-free period.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

But the fact they set nu rules for minimum age is stupid.

Regulations regarding limits on sale/use - 20 YO, pregnant women, public use were, food warnings were issued 16 June 2022, a week after the original premiere.

Not stupid per se.

I think ultimately if recreational use continues, and I'm 50-50 on this, there will be many more constraints and restrictions. Particularly on the growing/wholesaling and retailing side. Formal business registraions, VAT collection and remittance, etc. I can see restrictions for online ordering and delivery.

Anutin continues to be admamant about "medical use only". But I'm not sure if he is sincere, or merely obfuscating. He may now mean that any personal use is OK, and that personal use should only be for "medical" reasons. Medically, I want to feel better so...puff, puff, puff.

Need to see what the CCA looks like after gazetting.

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Supachai also thanked the medical team and reassured them that their intention is the same – to expedite the enactment of laws as soon as possible to shut down the law-free period.

From the linked article...

“This current situation doesn’t cause so many problems for society and youth that they are beyond government control. However, the Committee will accelerate and proceed with the marijuana draft law consideration as soon as possible. I believed the consideration will be completed by the end of this month. Then, the draft will be submitted to the council for approval,” the chairman added.

TPN notes this appears to shut down any immediate requests to shut down, suspend, or reverse the decriminalization of marijuana in Thailand for now.

• Like 1

Just now, bamnutsak said:

From the linked article...

“This current situation doesn’t cause so many problems for society and youth that they are beyond government control. However, the Committee will accelerate and proceed with the marijuana draft law consideration as soon as possible. I believed the consideration will be completed by the end of this month. Then, the draft will be submitted to the council for approval,” the chairman added.

TPN notes this appears to shut down any immediate requests to shut down, suspend, or reverse the decriminalization of marijuana in Thailand for now.

"TPN notes this appears to shut down any immediate requests to shut down, suspend, or reverse the decriminalization of marijuana in Thailand for now."

Rather obvious, nobody is expecting a reversal on decriminalization, what they are waiting for are the actual laws to see where everybody stands, on recreational use, driving, etc because currently it is a "law free period"

20 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

just in case anybody has forgotten the science behind the doctors concerns,  looks pretty clear to me lol

Medical doctors aren't generally scientists, most don't do any research.

What they do is regurgitate information passed to them by big Pharma (rewards given for pushing certain products) and follow instructions issued by their government (bonus paid for reaching target percentages of patients treated).

This opinion formed from wide experience with English doctors, it may not apply to Thai doctors.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Medical doctors aren't generally scientists, most don't do any research.

What they do is regurgitate information passed to them by big Pharma (rewards given for pushing certain products) and follow instructions issued by their government (bonus paid for reaching target percentages of patients treated).

This opinion formed from wide experience with English doctors, it may not apply to Thai doctors.

I think it applies to all doctors. 

Edited by Bday Prang

20 hours ago, dr_lucas said:

You can start from here and google for more, especially the terrible effect it has on young people's brain development and other effects

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK224396/#:~:text=Compared with nonsmokers%2C habitual marijuana,of the cells as nonsmokers.

Nobody is suggesting tobacco, alcohol, coffee or cannabis is good for young people. But that's no reason for turning users into criminals.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

Have there been any serious incidents/murders etc involving cannabis since the laws were relaxed?  I don't recall reading of these.

Their reaction is all about the money nothing to do with danger to society 

Their couldn't care less about it 

Its all about their chemical drug money they want 

Nothing else but drug money 

That is what doctors a pharmacy cooperation want 

15 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I thought the same thing when Yingluck was offering 100K cash back on any new car purchase.  Anyone with life enough in them to fog a mirror with their breath was signing finance to buy a new car.  But there was no comensurate increase in driver training or of effective policing.

If this was done by a government in a developed country there would be a class action raised.

Think you have the wrong subject for your post

13 hours ago, sambum said:

Does the fact that you discussed this with a Thai doctor, and "their" (his/her?)  opinion was that the hospital needs a major extension to it have any relevance to the fact that cannabis/marijuana has been legalised?  

It was for the increase in accidents. The doctor being Thai is practicing in Canada at the present

5 hours ago, starky said:

No that is of course true but then again you don't have to smoke marijuana do you?

Also you might want to look into the harmful chemicals put into tobacco products during their construction compared to smoking a dried plant found exactly as it is in nature. Irony? Perhaps.

Of course. And all the stuff you buy here will be as pure as the driven snow, sorry, I mean slush.

23 hours ago, Snig27 said:

They were all smoking this stuff before, now they won't go to jail for it. But, clearly you have a ton of evidence to back your wacky claims. Maybe share it? Thailand evidence. 

my bad did not realize another Inspector Clouseau was on the case

56 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Of course. And all the stuff you buy here will be as pure as the driven snow, sorry, I mean slush.

Cool if you want to go down that road let's look into all your "farm fresh" vegetables, you know like Mosanto and all your GMO gear. Your arguments are getting more and more pathetic. Or I could just run with

There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, cigarettes create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are toxic. 

Edited by starky

1 minute ago, starky said:

Cool if you want to go down that road let's look into all your "farm fresh" vegetables, you know like Mosanto and all your GMO gear. Your arguments are getting more and more pathetic. 

So you believe they don't or won't add fertilizer or chemicals

( whatever) to the crop ( spelling ) that you will smoke or whatever.

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So you believe they don't or won't add fertilizer or chemicals

( whatever) to the crop ( spelling ) that you will smoke or whatever.

Actually by saying "if you want to go down that road" I'm saying the complete opposite. What's your point. There's chemicals in everything including but not limited to all the food we eat and all the drinks we consume but nowhere near as many as tobacco. What is it you are trying to say? 

Edited by starky

6 minutes ago, starky said:

Actually by saying "if you want to go down that road" I'm saying the complete opposite. What's your point. There's chemicals in everything including but not limited to all the food we eat and all the drinks we consume but nowhere near as many as tobacco. What is it you are trying to say? 

Ah so cannabis is 100% chemical, toxic substance and toxin free, that should be such a relief to smokers everywhere.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Noris said:

Any word on the pharmaceutical industries' death rate, or can't we talk of that.? More people die from pharmaceuticals than any other drugs

Are you referring to the various ones people like to stick up their noses?

Just wondering, does anyone ever make cannabis powder and snort it like snuff?

Edited by overherebc

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Are you referring to the various ones people like to stick up their noses?

Just wondering, does anyone ever make cannabis powder and snort it like snuff?

Again. displaying a lack of knowledge regarding cannabis, a common trait amongst people whose limited knowledge is gleaned from the reefer madness school of thought. (which is the the common denominator amongst the puritanical prohibitionist zealots) 

It absolutely has to be true, as when your "education" or rather brainwashing took place, that was the only accepted narrative regarding cannabis wasn't it?       Not unlike several other schools of thought in existence at that time   but due to pressure brought to bear by the various minority groups  who were on the receiving end of the accompanying prejudice that flourished, those views are now  considered unacceptable in fact actually illegal

27 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Again. displaying a lack of knowledge regarding cannabis, a common trait amongst people whose limited knowledge is gleaned from the reefer madness school of thought. (which is the the common denominator amongst the puritanical prohibitionist zealots) 

It absolutely has to be true, as when your "education" or rather brainwashing took place, that was the only accepted narrative regarding cannabis wasn't it?       Not unlike several other schools of thought in existence at that time   but due to pressure brought to bear by the various minority groups  who were on the receiving end of the accompanying prejudice that flourished, those views are now  considered unacceptable in fact actually illegal

Why on earth would I want or need to have a great knowledge of cannabis. What good would it do me in this world?

Ah, I think I have it, it would allow me to sit around stoned with a bunch of others who are stoned and we could convince ourselves we are the saviours of the free world.

In my life I had bigger aims.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Ah, I think I have it, it would allow me to sit around stoned with a bunch of others who are stoned and we could convince ourselves we are the saviours of the free world.

I m out of words, you really live in your own little world....

28 minutes ago, thaichina said:

I m out of words, you really live in your own little world....

One of my great amusements is realising how many posters on TV take themselves so seriously.

I don't actually care how much dope you lot want to grow, smoke or bake in your brownies.

Just go ahead and do it in your own homes and don't smoke it or vape when I'm near you.

Many years ago I sacked a guy for smoking it at work in uk. 

Last job I had in Thailand we had random tests 2 or 3 times a week in the yard for alcohol and drugs and I fully agree with it.

Working with machinery and thinking it's ok to smoke dope 'because it's legal' is so stupid it can't be allowed.

Smoke ll you want, just don't go prattling on about it as though you are local heroes.

Edited by overherebc
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1