Nearly one in three Americans say it may soon be necessary to take up arms against the government

onthedarkside

4 minutes ago, Credo said:

.....maybe just best to do it at the ballot box.  

A genuine question to American posters: If any state(s) decided they had had enough of the Union, could they secede from the United States? Realistically, that is?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, it's unconstitutional.

OK. But do you remember the last few months of the Soviet Union? When Gorbachev was president of the Union, but Yeltsin, who was the democratically elected premier of Russia, simply declared All Union laws null and void on the territory of the Russian Federation?

This would be impossible in the US?

• Like 2

As much as I don't exactly trust the federal government, I have a much bigger beef with those closer to home.  First on my list is the HOA, followed by the County and then the State.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scott said:

The Civil War was, in part, fought over the right of states to secede from the Union.  The states that wanted to secede lost.  So, no they cannot secede from the Union.  

Do you think Americans consider this a good thing, don't care, or find it a ball and chain?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Credo said:

As much as I don't exactly trust the federal government, I have a much bigger beef with those closer to home.  First on my list is the HOA, followed by the County and then the State.  

Sorry, HOA?

43 minutes ago, baboon said:

But again: given what Scott and others have told me. The US is one, like it or not. Any serious insurrection could be quashed within a few hours at worst if your Federal government decided upon it. So even an armed militia in... Well I don't know... Philidelphia, for example, would be utterly crushed...

I can't see it happening, at least not as an armed rebellion.  Its ideological differences and they can result in violence, but how do you know who exactly to attack?  It's not like you can look at someone and see if they are pro-life/anti-abortion.  You can't if someone is for renewable energy and against fossil fuels?  I find myself arguing with someone on a social media site, but I am a very long ways. from getting a gun and driving around the town I think he lives in and trying to shoot BigMax69 for his stand on the election!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

Sounds like the religion of peace playbook.

While there’s not much commonality between those two ideologies, in terms of the amount of evil generated, they are roughly on par. I have no sympathy with either Islamist or Confederate thinking.

• Thanks 1