Russia says it will quit the International Space Station after 2024

Scott

Russia says it will quit the International Space Station after 2024

Lego releases new International Space Station set, sends it into the  stratosphere - The Verge

CNN)Russia says it is planning to pull out of the International Space Station and end its decades-long partnership with NASA at the orbiting outpost, according to the newly appointed head of Russia's space agency.

Roscosmos chief Yury Borisov told Russian President Vladimir Putin that "the decision to leave this station after 2024 has been made."

"You know that we are working within the framework of international cooperation at the International Space Station. Undoubtedly, we will fulfil all our obligations to our partners, but the decision to leave the station after 2024 has been made," Borisov told Putin in the Kremlin-issued readout.

CNN.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The ISS is on the retirement list is a few years anyway and would be sooner if alternatives were ready. But according to what I've read there maybe a gap in the ISS being retired and another built.

• Like 1

AAwWWww  ... poor didums. Taking your toys and going home we see.

What a great opportunity for the US to pull its head out and invite China to create new space and hopefully worldly cooperation ... but maybe that's about as likely as large bovines flying (the head out of the dark nether regions I mean)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stargeezr said:

I wonder if the ISS can be towed to the moon to used as an orbital platform for exploring on the surface? Just my forward thinking..

The ISS orbits the Earth at around 250 miles. The moon is 250000 miles away.

Its over 20 years old and in need of replacement so, no, it cannot be towed to the moon. There is no vehicle that could do it and servicing it with fuel, food, medicines and people become impossible as its 1000 times further away.