A closer look at the new education bill that will shape the future of Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are critical of the Thai education system and you use an example of someone who dropped out of school ?

All Children in Thai schools are taught how to read and write 

Indeed, but how many can really do it??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thais literacy rates for youngsters is about 98 % 

As the iq tests are also more than average..... reality is different.......they can write and some can read but a lot have problems ...P6 kids read as P1 kids.. and not English but Thai language..  

1 minute ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Yes I am critical of the Thai education system

Do you see Thailand producing any of their own world class cars? Space Program? Trains, planes or anything else? Or do you see Thailand being the factory slave labor for all the first would countries like Japan.

Any idea why that is in 2022? 

When the Thai govt tells citizens to go out in the streets and squirt water guns in the air to combat air pollution, is that the sign of a good education system? Fake bomb scanners? AirShips balloons that cost $740,000,000 dollars that never flew a mission? Submarines with no engines? Armored personnel carriers with no engines? Yeh, hell of a good education on display.

Ever ask yourself why the average starting salary for a Thai graduate is 15,000 baht a month? Do the math. Almost impossible to survive on that little amount. You see any college educated first world students working for $500 a month?

You obviously don't get around much do you?

You know how many uneducated people there are in rural Isaan? That were forced to drop out of school to work the fields for 200 to 300 baht a day?

Do you know there are more people living outside the cities in Thailand than in the cities?

You don't know jack about the real Thailand.

Stay in the city where you belong.

"Real" Thailand really isn't living in a poor Issan village surrounded by ill educated illiterate  school drop outs who plant rice , that may be your reality , but its not "real" for most other people living in Thailand . 

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

"Real" Thailand really isn't living in a poor Issan village surrounded by ill educated illiterate  school drop outs who plant rice , that may be your reality , but its not "real" for most other people living in Thailand . 

The majority of the Thailand population lives in rural areas.

If you have been around a while you would know that and accept it.

You can't accept real Thai life

field work.jpg

Edited by KIngsofisaan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

The majority of the Thailand population lives in rural areas.

If you have been around a while you would know that and accept it.

You can't accept real Thai life

field work.jpg

Is that you Gummy ?

You posted that same photo on the other place 

10 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

That is to make sure you get the image in your head that not everything in Thailand is a bed of roses

Thanks Mr Thailand , you certainly know about the "real" Thailand , not like those no nothing tourists who have no idea about living in bamboo huts with REAL Thais in Issan

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thais literacy rates for youngsters is about 98 % 

Been of this nature for a couple of generations. 

The literacy rate, in general, has been consistently one of the highest rate in Asia for several decades.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Education Minister Treenuch Thienthong says the bill, if passed, will be a key turning point for Thailand’s educational sector as it focuses on students’ performance and ability to apply their knowledge to real-life situations. It also aims to develop quality teachers who can educate children for a successful future.

A complete 180 then?

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thanks Mr Thailand , you certainly know about the "real" Thailand , not like those no nothing tourists who have no idea about living in bamboo huts with REAL Thais in Issan

When you own 26 rai and a large western house, let me know.

I will take the Bamboo any day compared to a condo or mooban with your neighbors an arm lengths away

Not everything in Thailand is chasing bar girls and beer

• Haha 1

Kids can drop out after Mathayom 3, that's a problem. 

50-minute classes:  10-minutes on your phone, kids fall asleep, all in little hot boxes 

Evaluations are everything.   Notice I didn't say performance, it's all evaluations.  

If kids don't like you, you are ruined.   Notice I didn't say performance, only if they like you.

I would say kids get about 3-4 hours a term of actual teaching.   So, eight hours a year.

Eight hours a year AFTER like 30 classes and maybe 4 weeks missed due to whatever holiday.

Teachers are overworked.

Money in selling books, uniforms, etc.... way more important.

On top of all this, it's super hot and there are 100 worthless meetings and morning ceremony in the heat.   

I have yet to meet a Thai who understands the concept of risk, and what probabilities and statistics do in determining risk. Reading maps is another skill I have not seen.

Causes of said deficiencies are most probably vested interests in maintaining the status quo. The teachers will follow the curriculum set by higher authorities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have yet to meet a Thai who understands the concept of risk, and what probabilities and statistics do in determining risk. Reading maps is another skill I have not seen.

Causes of said deficiencies are most probably vested interests in maintaining the status quo. The teachers will follow the curriculum set by higher authorities.

Reactive not proactive.... I expect risk is an assessment of future events  and consequences of actions, which is certainly weak here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Isaan dialect, not Thai

So you speak in grunts Lao Style, or do you use Cambodian gestures.  Thais speak Thai, with different dialects....it is still the Thai language.

They can make education bills as many as they want, but nowadays a  fully qualified teacher gets a wage of 5.000 to 7.500 THB a month and they have to pay their own SSF of 750 THB of it.. Better can work at a 7/11 for 10.000 THB a month.

Make education system, but don't get teachers it seems, because non educated people are easier to control...   And that for a country that spend so much on education... Why is nobody investigating where the money is going???

Besides today is a national holiday... I see kids go to special classes.. I think that relax their mind is better than teach, teach teach

Edited by ikke1959

43 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you speak in grunts Lao Style, or do you use Cambodian gestures.  Thais speak Thai, with different dialects....it is still the Thai language.

Quite often it's the Lao language.

Sometimes it's Khmer, Mandarin or Arabic.

There are 71 different languages in use in Thailand.

Only 40% of the Thai population are native Central Thai speakers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Thailand

Now if you want to claim they are all minor variations of the same language, Kra-Dai, then you probably believe that most of Europe also speak the same language, variations of Latin.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Quite often it's the Lao language.

Sometimes it's Khmer, Mandarin or Arabic.

There are 71 different languages in use in Thailand.

Only 40% of the Thai population are native Central Thai speakers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Thailand

Now if you want to claim they are all minor variations of the same language, Kra-Dai, then you probably believe that most of Europe also speak the same language, variations of Latin.

That's impressive. I  think that in many countries there are dialects that are so different from each other that people cannot understand each other. I noticed that once when I met a taxi driver just in front of the exit of one of Londons airports. Did not understand a thing. In Germany Plattdeutsch is so different from High German that it must be considered a different language. Incomprehensible for the rest. In Switzerland you have regional varieties of Swiss German (apart from the 4 offical languages spoken).

But isn't it that Latin belongs to only one of the language families in Europe (where Italian, French belong to) whereas the rest is different (like English, German). But I am no linguist. Just interested in languages and their differences across the globe and how different their concepts are and how different their writing.

Edited by moogradod

1 minute ago, moogradod said:

But isn't it that Latin belongs to only one of the language families in Europe (where Italian, French belong to) whereas the rest is different (like English, German). But I am no linguist. Just interested in languages and their differences across the globe and how different thier concepts are and how different their writing.

Spanish, English, French, Italian have a lot in common.

German is a bit different.

6 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

When you own 26 rai and a large western house, let me know.

I will take the Bamboo any day compared to a condo or mooban with your neighbors an arm lengths away

Not everything in Thailand is chasing bar girls and beer

When you own and live in a Western house in the West , then we can talk 

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Risk, maintenance (planned or unplanned), and anticipation, all unknown concepts.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not in Issan it ain't.