Public Health Ministry reconsiders stand on tough legal action against cannabis users

snoop1130

280E5C4D-4D3D-4B4F-9D0B-4C3C51050FF3.jpeg

A staff holds a cannabis plant at the Government Pharmaceuticals Organisation (GPO) medicinal marijuana greenhouse outside Chon Buri, south of Bangkok on October 8, 2020. (Photo by Mladen ANTONOV / AFP)

The Thai Ministry of Public Health has rescinded its recommendation to the police that they take legal action against people found to have committed any of four offences in violation of the Protection and Promotion of Traditional Thai Medicine Wisdom Act B.E. 2542 (AD 1999).

Deputy Public Health Permanent Secretary Dr. Narong Saiwong and Dr. Yongyot Thammavudhi, director-general of the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine (DTAM), held an urgent press conference yesterday(Wednesday) to announce the decision to rescind the recommendation letter sent to the Royal Thai Police on Tuesday.

The letter recommended that police arrest people who do not have permission to conduct research on, export, sell or process cannabis for commercial purposes, said Dr. Narong, adding that the recommendation was intended to protect thoseunder 20, pregnant women and breast-feeding women.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/public-health-ministry-reconsiders-stand-on-tough-legal-action-against-cannabis-users/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

The director-general expects the review to be completed within the next week after Dr Kiatiphum Wongrajit, the ministry’s permanent secretary, has considered the matter and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul signs the order.

Police will not arrest offenders any time soon except for people who sell “rolled” cannabis on the street, as the ministry is already trying to control recreational use of the plant, Yongyot added.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40018245

10 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Great why spend years being trained as a pharmacist, get a shop and have it licensed when come 20 years of age with zero experience you can set up a shack selling medical cannabis and add a few claims to the benefits. 

I would do it to have the ability to run a proper pharmacy that makes a profit on selling prescription and over the counter drugs that you can't sell in a shack. With less competition as a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Great why spend years being trained as a pharmacist, get a shop and have it licensed when come 20 years of age with zero experience you can set up a shack selling medical cannabis and add a few claims to the benefits. 

Lets add those Erectile Dysfunction drug sellers to that rant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Lets add those Erectile Dysfunction drug sellers to that rant.

They’ve already switched over, easier to sell weed and tell the customers it’s good for the labido, job done, medical use covered

18 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Exactly how much do you think is sold from "shacks"  for "medicinal reasons" ?  None ! I think would be the correct reply.  No prescription required, therefore no pharmacists need interfere anyhow I very much doubt pharmaceutical courses have a cannabis section 

Anybody who thinks cannabis may help there condition is perfectly able to seek appropriate advice from doctors at government hospitals if they wish. They may receive their "medication" at the hospital but are perfectly at liberty to purchase it where they want.  Just like paracetamol and amoxicillin.  Isn't that just somehow right and proper ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Exactly how much do you think is sold from "shacks"  for "medicinal reasons" ?  None ! I think would be the correct reply.  No prescription required, therefore no pharmacists need interfere anyhow I very much doubt pharmaceutical courses have a cannabis section 

Anybody who thinks cannabis may help there condition is perfectly able to seek appropriate advice from doctors at government hospitals if they wish. They may receive their "medication" at the hospital but are perfectly at liberty to purchase it where they want.  Just like paracetamol and amoxicillin.  Isn't that just somehow right and proper ?

best to lighten up a little, you must have ducked as you missed the sarcasm. Silly me should have put that as a disclaimer…..????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coolcarer said:

They’ve already switched over, easier to sell weed and tell the customers it’s good for the labido, job done, medical use covered

And even if that was true what's the problem, you claim your concern is for the "vulnerable" youth of Thailand, hardly a demographic likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction or lack of libido . Or are you now "standing up " for all the impotent geriatric ex pats as well

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

And even if that was true what's the problem, you claim your concern is for the "vulnerable" youth of Thailand, hardly a demographic likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction or lack of libido . Or are you now "standing up " for all the impotent geriatric ex pats as well

Actually no I didn’t think it was true…..lol

• Like 1

Legalisation of cannabis is an interesting experiment with a population of 68 million people. No one knows what the outcome will be. I think that other countries such as the USA and UK will be watching and taking note. To see what effect it has on 'law and order', addiction to stronger drugs, road safety (Yes I know its Thailand) and population control. It's almost as if the members of the WHO have taken part in a lottery (wealthy counries and countries of a lower civilisation level excluded) which Thailand won

5 hours ago, RobU said:

Legalisation of cannabis is an interesting experiment with a population of 68 million people. No one knows what the outcome will be. I think that other countries such as the USA and UK will be watching and taking note. To see what effect it has on 'law and order', addiction to stronger drugs, road safety (Yes I know its Thailand) and population control. It's almost as if the members of the WHO have taken part in a lottery (wealthy counries and countries of a lower civilisation level excluded) which Thailand won

I doubt that anyone in the UK will be taking note. Legalisation can only come in the UK by a vote of MPs in the Commons and that will never happen. None of them will have the courage to speak in favour. It's interesting to note that the states in the US that have decriminalised are those where the electorate can mandate a referendum on the matter. Referenda are strictly reserved for constitutional matters in the UK.

20 hours ago, RobU said:

Do you really think the US will be watching Thailand to decide on a course of action?

Starting 26 years ago, ganja was decriminalized or legalized in California, Oregon, Alaska, Washington, Nevada, Colorado, Maine, Hawaii, Montana, Maryland, Vermont, Michigan, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, Delaware, Utah, Connecticut, Alabama, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Tennessee, Iowa, South Carolina, Florida, North Carolina, Missouri, Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Wyoming, Pennsylvania, Illinois, West Virginia, Indiana, Kansas, North Dakota, Guam, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and the Northern Mariana Islands?

Sure, US will be watching Thailand. For sure, not enough data over the last 26 years.  ????

• Thanks 1