Why isn't every male in the UK living in thailand?

Grecian

On 7/29/2022 at 5:43 AM, KIngsofisaan said:

Mike, Mike, Mike

How is it you ended up at your age and cannot even afford to stay in your own country?

Please tell us?

An amazingly elitist comment. All employment does not guarantee you a luxury retirement. Many live paycheck to paycheck and have great difficulty saving anything. No one has control over the wages they earn, unless they are in a heavily unionized environment. Such a situation is rare in the United States and some other countries, as well. I had a plonker on the the internet tell me that if I had “worked a little harder”, I would have more money in retirement. These kinds of people must have existed in a public sector government job for their entire lives.  In the REAL WORLD, hard work does not guarantee you anything but continued employment and sometimes not even that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

have you ever been to the UK?  Probably not if you need to ask a question like that !!   I 've never been to Australia but I doubt  that its much different.  Or do they really all look like Kylie and Danni Minogue in which case you may have a point,  but again, I doubt it

Take a walk through any shopping mall in Australia, the vast majority look like beached whales. One can only pick the younger ones by the absence of wrinkles.

Kylie, Danni, and Nicole Kidman are statistical outliers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

And do these women marry men who earn significantly less than they do?

I agree that women do probably like men who are wealthier and some may like to show off a bit of wealth.  It can seem a bit shallow and cold but it is probably a bit genetic or societal in them wanting to 'feather their nest'.

Men probably care more about looks and some prioritise having candy on their arm. That  can seem shallow and cold but probably has a genetic or societal dimension in terms of spreading their seed to the right eggs.

I feel like as far back as the nineties when I dated, if a woman was on a similar financial wicket to me and some were, I would pay for the first couple of dates and hope they would then say - no it's OK from now. They were women of a similar age or a bit younger and not too dissimilar in standard of appearance.

Bit harder in Thailand where expectations are different but that's probably mainly because we are likely  picking women who's age and looks is more appealing than ours so we have to make up for it with charm, a sense of humour, but mainly money.

There are, according to the BBC, 

1.3 million Britons living in the US and Canada.

1.3 million Britons living in Australia. 

And some say there are about 40 thousand Britons in Thailand. 

Why does the OP asks why these UK expats do not all flock to Thailand? 

The answer should be obvious. 

America and Australia are colonies. 

Thailand is not a colony. 

Also, the food.

Most guys from the UK love American food. Burger King, McDonald's, Chuck E. Cheese, and PepsiCo franchises are not big in Thailand. 

In addition, there is no way to get an authentic Louisiana Po-Boy in Thailand. 

Also, in America, the wearing of shorts, while walking around topless, at least for men, is not frowned upon. 

The American language and Australian language is much easier for a Briton to master, compared to learning how to properly pronounce the Thai language. 

Very few would-be newcomers from the UK have the stamina to learn a language having five tones and an abugida with  44 consonant symbols (Thai: พยัญชนะ, phayanchana), 16 vowel symbols (Thai: สระ, sara) that combine into at least 32 vowel forms and four tone Diacritics. 

But, in answer to why most men from the UK do not come to Thailand, I would have to say that they prefer Western culture, over Asian culture, and they must also prefer to remain in the UK, riding in chauffeur-driven Bentley motorcars while munching dainty sandwiches filled with cheese and chutney. 

It's really not so easy to uproot, and move to Asia, East Asia, or Southeast Asia, for 40 or 50 years, and never look back. 

Why make the effort if you do not have some real passion for life in Asia? 

To paraphrase an overly used Chinese idiom, Chengyu, no matter where you might go, the Moon is just as round. 

These days, our world continues to become ever flatter, while both girls and boys become rounder, scarfing American junk food, made from corn, on all seven continents. 

So, stay where you are because, you have an equally goor/poor chance of bagging a beautiful woman here as you might in the UK. 

What did you imagine? 

Did you think that beautiful, classy, educated Thai women would be attracted to you, even if women in your home country were not? 

Think again before you come here with unreasonable expectations, only to finally find yourself totally ignored by the class of women you had fantasized, and down in the dumps. 

Look in the mirror, my friends, and get ahold of yourselves, lest you arrive full of fairy-tale dreams, only to crash and burn, oh so tragically. 

But, if you have 3 million pounds, or more, in the banks of Switzerland, and you have a post-graduate degree, and if you love nothing but Thai food, and you can read Thai script, and you love both Thai culture and the sound of roosters in the mornings and afternoons, then, by all means, come here to buy a large plot of land, maybe grow coffee, become a character in a Somerset Maugham short story. Because, even with your millions of pounds, few guys from the West last as long as me. 

By the time I'm dead, my best guess is that I will have been here about 60+ years...Already going on 51 in Asia. 

So, my advice is this:  Unless you love Asia, just come for a visit. But don't expect to see me here, because hanging out with tourists is something I never will do. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Take a walk through any shopping mall in Australia, the vast majority look like beached whales. One can only pick the younger ones by the absence of wrinkles.

pretty much the same as the UK then unfortunately

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 4:03 PM, BritManToo said:

More likely the hormones from the contraceptive pill in the water.

In London they say the water passed through 5 people before you drink it.

Contraceptive hormones don't degrade and are mainly flushed out of the woman's body through urine.

I read it was 7 people, but who's counting? It tasted vile and I took drinking water home from the hospital as it was specially treated.

First time to try post a pic.

Newspaper story about lap dancers in the uk. story isn't important, the pic is. 

not to mention the difference in costs!!!!

Oh yeah, and im sure the OP is a total fokkin prize.

Gentlemen of Thaivisa. I have seen you and the women you settle down with and call wife.

Cut the <deleted>, any of you would be lucky to be with any of those women in the picture. If not send them my way.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:21 AM, BritManToo said:

not only could I pay for sex with attractive women, but they actually pretended they liked me

you should try the older ones sometimes... you don't know what you are missing - the only downside is that they might actually like you

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

How is it a person can work their entire life and get to retirement with nothing left to support themselves in their own country?

I have 3 pensions, state,military & private, I would be unable to survive on them in the UK, fortunately they provide a comfortable living in Thailand, I also have some personal savings in my UK account which I thankfully don't need to touch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have 3 pensions, state,military & private, I would be unable to survive on them in the UK, fortunately they provide a comfortable living in Thailand, I also have some personal savings in my UK account which I thankfully don't need to touch.

I am intrigued by all of this - do you mean that there are no pensioners in the UK,  as they could not survive on their pensions?

7 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Would you able able to live in the U.K if you owned property there ?

About four years ago, I happened to meet some academic muckety-muck, some Australian, an Anthropologist, renowned in his field of study, published articles not few, and many of which centered on his findings and research of religions in these parts, throughout SE Asia. . 

I really don't know why I mention this meeting, except that I recall he wasn't a tourist in Thailand. 

He was an Australian with an enviously upper-crust British accent. I guess there are a few. 

His excuse for his accent, he explained, was his parent's arrival to Australia when he was very young. Apparently, throughout his childhood and adulthood, he had worked hard to hang onto his British sound while down under. 

Why do I mention this meeting, here? 

Maybe it's because I don't meet many interesting people here who are here, almost exclusively, as a result of their decades-long love of Asia. 

I know that there are intelligent, well-educated men on TV, and I know of a specific few myself, but topics such as this, no matter how entertaining, cause me to think that I have seen the last of the few. 

I did not come to Asia to find a wife. Although, in retrospect, at the time, maybe I should have come to find two MORE wives, in order to have three, the perfect number for stability. 

But these days, it just saddens me to see fine young men arriving in places in SE Asia with, seemingly, only two things on their minds; either hooking up, or finding a wife, most probably in the mistaken belief that what they were unable to obtain in their home countries will somehow, maybe miraculously, fall into their laps in Pattaya...such absurdity. 

The thing is, I chose to travel to Asia soon after being married to a Jiangxi beauty of wealth and means and intelligence. One of her brothers was a PhD candidate at a top Ivy League school, not Harvard, luckily. After the revolution, her family set up a newspaper in Hong Kong, a place many here from Scotland know something about. Those were the days when Chinese peasants would carry lichee on bamboo poles, 擔杖, across the border and then board the train to Kowloon. A majority of the lichee carried by these peasants were worm ridden, unsurprisingly, most likely by Commie worms. The Commies, back in the day, knew not much about pesticides. Too busy killing sparrows, I guess. 

OK, where was I?  Oh, yeah, I think I must have gotten sidetracked by the worms....the worms coming from over the border, maybe for the sole purpose of hooking up. 

You know, I have heard it often said by no less of a personage than Dickens' Tiny Tim that, according to him, Americans understand neither sarcasm nor irony. According to this Dickens character, it is only the Australians who are able to read books such as Candide, books full of satire and abstruse references to ironical things. Maybe, after years behind the microphone, radio goes to one's head. Just ask the loudmouth behind infowars. 

Poor Tiny Tim, while having his Christmas goose, neglected to read Mark Twain. Do they even have rivers so great as the Mississippi, in Australia? But, as Tim maintains, Americans, while captaining a riverboat down the great river, never learned about irony. 

And so, continuing to reply to this topic, stimulating as it is, another reason guys might not come here is because it's just not so easy, and not as easy as one might be led to believe, watching YT videos produced mainly by idiots who, while they understand the social media technology, so superficially, still know almost nothing about living in Asia. 

I am the first to admit that I know too little about life in Asia. 

I usually don't say much. 

Mostly, I prefer to keep my trap shut, just listening to others better educated about life in these parts. 

I did not come here for the women. If I can't have three under my roof, one or two is not enough for stability and harmony. 

And I don't know anyone here wealthy enough to support three women, especially given present-day inflation. 

There is another Chinese (maybe from Taiwan) "saying" which goes.. A man should have three wives, an American wife, a Japanese wife, and a Chinese wife. 

The American wife can provide a big house. 

The Chinese wife can provide good food. 

The Japanese wife, she can provide the rest. 

Regards,

G. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I went to Chaddy last week - biggest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere - lots of pretty young and not so young girls asian and otherwise. Some have a selective memory I think. 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Wasn't your sons Mother still in school when you got her pregnant ?

Yes, she completed her high school exams with baby in a car seat on the examiners table. Then did 2 years at university before dropping out. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I went to Chaddy last week - biggest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere - lots of pretty young and not so young girls asian and otherwise. Some have a selective memory I think. 

I'll bet you saw more pretty Asians than the "otherwise".

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Yeah, just as well most western men don't know there is a better world out there or they'd all be in LOS.

As for the guy who spent $1000 on a woman he wasn't engaged to- is he desperate or what?

BTW, I doubt anyone forced him to spend that sort of money on her. Caveat emptor.

Maybe they went Dutch and shared the cost.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Would you able able to live in the U.K if you owned property there ?

Very doubtful, the council tax in the area I lived in was over £95 a month. Imagine paying that every month for nothing in return.

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

How do the tens of millions of other retired folks survive in the UK?

8 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

An amazingly elitist comment. All employment does not guarantee you a luxury retirement. Many live paycheck to paycheck and have great difficulty saving anything. No one has control over the wages they earn, unless they are in a heavily unionized environment. Such a situation is rare in the United States and some other countries, as well. I had a plonker on the the internet tell me that if I had “worked a little harder”, I would have more money in retirement. These kinds of people must have existed in a public sector government job for their entire lives.  In the REAL WORLD, hard work does not guarantee you anything but continued employment and sometimes not even that.

Luxury retirement guarantee?

Come on man. Do you think a Doctor and someone working as a laborer should be guaranteed the same retirement?

At some point in their lives, people should wise up to the fact if they are working menial jobs, they will won't have much to retire on.

But from comments on this post, some people worked their entire lives and never realized that.

8 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Or maybe they just don't know any better, and having been hen pecked and browbeaten into submission are unable to break free

True statement, however, all men had the choice of who they wanted their partner to be.