Warning about Chinese rocket debris falling back to Earth on July 31st

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-07-29T221925.004.jpg

Thailand’s Geo-informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) issued a warning today (Friday) concerning debris from a Chinese Long March 5B rocket, which will fall back to Earth this Sunday.

Some of the rocket may fall on Thai territory, though the chance has been calculated at only about 1.2%.

The debris is from the over 20-ton core stage of a rocket launched on July 24th to take the second module for China’s unfinished Tiangong space station.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/warning-about-chinese-rocket-debris-falling-back-to-earth-on-july-31st/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Now they want to bombard us with an old space station. 

It has nothing to do with being "bombard us with an old space station! 

I suggest you read the article you quoted which says;

"The debris is from the over 20-ton core stage of a rocket launched on July 24th to take the second module for China’s unfinished Tiangong space station."

Edited by DezLez
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, DezLez said:

"The debris is from the over 20-ton core stage of a rocket launched on July 24th to take the second module for China’s unfinished Tiangong space station."

Hey Dez, you got a sturdy umbrella I can borrow?

1 minute ago, Lucky Bones said:

Hey Dez, you got a sturdy umbrella I can borrow?

Sorry I do not have a suitable umbrella but I have plenty of unwanted facemasks (Chinese of course) if they might help filter some of the smaller debris!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Why are they warning us?  It's not as if you can do anything if 1 ton of space junk hurtles down at you from space.  Which way to run? ????

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/1954-extraterrestrial-bruiser-shocked-alabama-woman-180973646/

The Coyote in Road Runner had amazing powers of recuperation so I guess there is hope?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Some of the rocket may fall on Thai territory, though the chance has been calculated at only about 1.2%.

Only about 1.2 percent might be a low risk, most people would think, it's roughly one in a hundred - "a piece from the rocket is not going to hit me" rather than "Sunday I gonna be hit by a piece from a Chinese rocket" - but that's amazing how percentage numbers are relative, when you think of the belief in winning the next Thai lottery price, which is said to be one in a million, and that's as much as 0.00001 percent...:whistling:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Only about 1.2 percent might be a low risk, most people would think, it's roughly one in a hundred - "a piece from the rocket is not going to hit me" rather than "Sunday I gonna be hit by a piece from a Chinese rocket" - but that's amazing how percentage numbers are relative, when you think of the belief in winning the next Thai lottery price, which is said to be one in a million, and that's as much as 0.00001 percent...:whistling:

beat me to it!

18 minutes ago, khunPer said:

This added confusion to stats/percentages is from the Daily Mail (UK) today;

"But a study this month put the risk of casualties from falling pieces of rocket in the next decade at 10 per cent, assuming each re-entry spreads debris over 10 square metres.

The threat to people from the remnants of the rocket is low, according to space debris expert Ted Muelhaupt, from The Aerospace Corporation research group in the US. 

Overall, the odds of anyone being injured or killed by falling rocket chunks range from 1 in 1,000 to 1 in 230, he said.

But the individual risk to any one person is far lower – in the order of 6 in 10 trillion. In fact, the odds of being struck by lightning are 80,000 times greater, Mr Muelhaupt added.

Britons in the Med warned that debris from 22-ton falling Chinese rocket could be heading their way | Daily Mail Online

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Just wait till that moron Elon Musk starts trying to shove as many satellites as he can around the Earth

He's more interested in Mars - where NASA has already dumped debris.

Just now, mahtin said:

He's more interested in Mars - where NASA has already dumped debris.

Heard of his 'brilliant' scheme to introduce satellite Internet? Cos, that's where he wants to put a sh#t ton of satellites into low orbit around the Earth - and don't forget his rocket ship travel service... the guy is a genius, I mean who could have thought we could relieve traffic congestion by building tunnels one car wide underground - it's almost like a metro system but with less capacity - pure genius! 

9 hours ago, DezLez said:

I suggest you get a sense of humour.????????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I suggest you get a sense of humour.????????

Why?

I do not see anything funny in your post and just inaccuracies in the post I responded to, and to which, I assume, you are referring!

If a change of attitude is required by anyone I would suggest you start!

Edited by DezLez
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Geeze, they did their best trying to kill us all with covid virus. 

That, we managed all by ourselves thank you very much.

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Now they want to bombard us with an old space station. 

It's actually a very new rocket launched a week ago.

But I know you were just trying to be humorous, so I gave you a like ????

52 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Just wait till that moron Elon Musk starts trying to shove as many satellites as he can around the Earth

He has already started.

The Ukrainians are already using them for internet. That's what upset the Russians after they attempted destroying  the Ukrainian internet and Musk stepped in with his satellite system.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

As of July 2022, Starlink (Musk's Company) consists of over 2,700 mass-produced small satellites in low Earth orbit (LEO)

5 hours ago, DezLez said:

This added confusion to stats/percentages is from the Daily Mail (UK) today;

"But a study this month put the risk of casualties from falling pieces of rocket in the next decade at 10 per cent, assuming each re-entry spreads debris over 10 square metres.

The threat to people from the remnants of the rocket is low, according to space debris expert Ted Muelhaupt, from The Aerospace Corporation research group in the US. 

Overall, the odds of anyone being injured or killed by falling rocket chunks range from 1 in 1,000 to 1 in 230, he said.

But the individual risk to any one person is far lower – in the order of 6 in 10 trillion. In fact, the odds of being struck by lightning are 80,000 times greater, Mr Muelhaupt added.

Britons in the Med warned that debris from 22-ton falling Chinese rocket could be heading their way | Daily Mail Online

Daily Mail. Truly credible.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Orinoco said:

This is nothing,  just wait till Somchai.

gets his turn in space.

There be stuff raining down all day long with the way they drive. let alone the hit and runs they will do up there.

Somchai in space? Enough baby powder to suffocate a real man and equipped with his gun and machete.

Perhaps a rendezvous with mia noi on the ISS?

Hopefully the brakes don't fail?

My imagination has again been curiously piqued????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

Daily Mail. Truly credible.

I know but in fairness I did warn you and the forum about the so called source, hence my starting line;

"This added confusion to stats/percentages is from the Daily Mail (UK) today;" Please forgive me!

• Like 1