Truss surges ahead, wins key backers in U.K. leadership race for prime minister

onthedarkside

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The latest ‘Dizzy from Lizzy’.

Truss rejects ‘handouts’ as way of tackling the cost of living crisis.

Let the poor starve through the next year and a half of Bank of England predicted recession.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/06/liz-truss-handouts-cost-of-living-crisis-tax-cuts-conservative-leadership

For those that refuse to read a Guardian article as a matter of principle, here is a sample of what Sunak said. Imo difficult to disagree with it:

“We need to get real about this situation. It’s simply wrong to rule out further direct support at this time as Liz Truss has done, and what’s more, her tax proposals are not going to help very significantly people like pensioners or those on low incomes who are exactly the kind of families that are going to need help.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Just don't rhyme Lizzy with dizzy?

I'm guessing "busy" would be OK.

What about "fizzy"?

Or "tizzy"?

I'd tread carefully if I were you or you will end up on 'The Step' with Chomper. 

('Tread', 'step', geddit? Oh, please yourself!)

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Maybe they'll believe it if it comes from The Express

"It’s simply wrong to rule out further direct support at this time as Liz Truss has done and what’s more her tax proposals are not going to help very significantly, people like pensioners or those on low incomes who are exactly the kind of families that are going to need help."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1651624/rishi-sunak-liz-truss-cost-of-living-crisis-tory-leadership-contest-latest-news-ont

Times and Telegraph have it too but they're behind a pay wall.

Now come on, that’s being unfair-  you can’t expect truss to actually think through things before coming up with a policy. 

Pledge without comprehending is after all her modus operandi. 

The opposition must be delighted that so many of the tory base are lapping it all up. 

#votetruss- only she can overturn a 70+ majority. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Typo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Now come on, that’s being unfair-  you can’t expect truss to actually think through things before coming up with a policy. 

Pledge without comprehending is after all her modus operandi. 

The opposition must be delighted that so many of the tory base are lapping it all up. 

#votetruss- only she can overturn a 70+ majority. 

The opposition can think, wow, I didn't know that, but you're right, that is the only way seats will be gained by your Party, nothing they do will change anything.....????

9 minutes ago, transam said:

The opposition can think, wow, I didn't know that, but you're right, that is the only way seats will be gained by your Party, nothing they do will change anything.....????

Party? What party?

The opposition don’t need to do anything, truss, and increasingly sunak as he tries to appeal to the tory base, are doing it all by themselves. 

#votetruss- the opposition’s choice

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Party? What party?

The opposition don’t need to do anything, truss, and increasingly sunak as he tries to appeal to the tory base, are doing it all by themselves. 

Why do you think that Sunak would be a better Conservative leader than Truss ?

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Party? What party?

Well you are right, your Party doesn't need to do anything because they never do anything, it's in the hands of luck for them...????

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why do you think that Sunak would be a better Conservative leader than Truss ?

Better? I believe he would be as terrible as the last few occupants of the seat.

However he is better under pressure when questioned and comes across as being more plausible when explaining his policies. 

It is conceivable he could win an election though if the economy keeps heading down the rabbit hole, even he might not be able to. His boast on taking money away from more deprived areas in the U.K. could certainly be used against him. 

truss on the other is a terrible public speaker, has no grasp of the minutiae of her policies and comes across as being unconvincing when questioned or put under pressure. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Well you are right, your Party doesn't need to do anything because they never do anything, it's in the hands of luck for them...????

Which party is mine? Please quote where I have stated I belong to any one party. 

No weasel like deflections either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

It is conceivable he could win an election though if the economy keeps heading down the rabbit hole, even he might not be able to. His boast on taking money away from more deprived areas in the U.K. could certainly be used against him. 

He reversed the Labour policy of over funding the poor inner city areas and neglecting areas that were non inner city and poor and deprived .

Non inner city deprived areas also need funding and the poor cannot be given everything at the expense of others . 

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Which party is mine? Please quote where I have stated I belong to any one party. 

No weasel like deflections either. 

Weasel like deflections, that's a new one on me...????

Is there still a Communist Party in the UK, I know The Monster Raving Loony Party was disbanded, so what does that leave us with, come clean, which one is it.....????

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Better? I believe he would be as terrible as the last few occupants of the seat.

However he is better under pressure when questioned and comes across as being more plausible when explaining his policies. 

Truss on the other is a terrible public speaker, has no grasp of the minutiae of her policies and comes across as being unconvincing when questioned or put under pressure. 

Will she be under pressure sitting at her desk, talking to a Cabinet member discussing important matters, or do you think her office will be full of Coronation Street views throwing questions at her, putting her on the spot.......?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He reversed the Labour policy of over funding the poor inner city areas and neglecting areas that were non inner city and poor and deprived .

Non inner city deprived areas also need funding and the poor cannot be given everything at the expense of others . 

Yep that’s what he said. Looking forward to his words coming back to haunt him if he wins the vote of the tory base. 

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Over funding? Everything You mean the poor in the cities were just being given more than they could legitimately consume? Or rather is that there's not really enough budgeted in the first place?

'Before the budget squeeze, governments led by both the Conservative and Labour parties achieved progress on childhood poverty. The number of minors living in “relative poverty” fell by roughly 800,000, to 3.5 million, between 1998 and 2012.

But the trend began to reverse in 2012, the year Parliament passed the Welfare Reform Act, a central plank of austerity: Since then, about 600,000 children have fallen back into “relative poverty.”'

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/24/world/europe/britain-austerity-may-budget.html

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Weasel like deflections, that's a new one on me...????

Is there still a Communist Party in the UK, I know The Monster Raving Loony Party was disbanded, so what does that leave us with, come clean, which one is it.....????

As I though you can’t. 

Deary, deary me…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Will she be under pressure sitting at her desk, talking to a Cabinet member discussing important matters, or do you think her office will be full of Coronation Street views throwing questions at her, putting her on the spot.......?

Please, any members of the tory party base who may see these words, heed their wisdom and vote truss-the opposition’s choice. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Of course I can't, on an anonymous forum we can pretend to be what we want, eh bluespunk......????

Never had to pretend who I am and take great pride it’s nothing like some…

Edited by Bluespunk

31 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Please, any members of the tory party base who may see these words, heed their wisdom and vote truss-the opposition’s choice. 

To be realistic , I highly doubt that any people who will be voting in the Conservative party election will be reading this forum .

Also, if any are , I doubt that they will be swayed in their voting preference by you telling them how they should vote . 

Are you  U.K National ? (as it may be illegal for foreigners  to interfere with U.K Democracy , foreign collusion in UK elections is frowned upon these days ) 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

To be realistic , I highly doubt that any people who will be voting in the Conservative party election will be reading this forum .

Also, if any are , I doubt that they will be swayed in their voting preference by you telling them how they should vote . 

Are you  U.K National ? (as it may be illegal for foreigners  to interfere with U.K Democracy , foreign collusion in UK elections is frowned upon these days ) 

Must put a sarcasm alert on more posts. 

My nationality is none of your concern, so enough of the “foreign influence “ hyperbolic BS. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

My nationality is none of your concern, so enough of the “foreign influence “ hyperbolic BS. 

You were publicly trying to influence the U.Ks elections , which is something the Russians have been accused of , so, it is a valid question 

23 minutes ago, Excel said:

I think a Troll alert would be more appropriate given some of the comments in this thread, don't you agree ?

20 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Go find a bridge to lurk under. 

Some serious pots calling kettles going on today. Pity I missed it.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

There must be a Guardian link somewhere that waffles on about foreign influences and undue interest in the Conservative Party members vote for their leader?

• Like 1

Liz Truss quoted in an FT interview on Thursday: "The way I would do things is in a Conservative way of lowering the tax burden, not giving out handouts."

Irrespective of one's opinion of its' merits, I would have thought that this was a pretty clear message.

However, seems like I and, no doubt, others were mistaken.

From the BBC website today: "Penny Mordaunt, a former Conservative leadership contender, said Ms Truss had not ruled out expanding direct payments - and that to say so was "overinterpreting what she said"."

Are there any policy statements that will last more than a few days before Truss backtracks on them?

Edited by RayC
spelling
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well, to vote you have to pay 25 quid to be a member. So I doubt that many people struggling financially will get much of a say in who the next PM will be.