Truss surges ahead, wins key backers in U.K. leadership race for prime minister

onthedarkside

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nope. 

I repeatedly pointed out to you johnson made clear he wouldn’t act and he hasn’t. 

In fact pointed out johnson, truss and sunak were doing nothing and not committing to a plan of action no matter who wins. 

None of those trying to push forward with windfall taxes are pm or competing to be pm. In addition the plans being considered are sunak’s rather than those truss advocates. 

Neither candidate has as of yet committed to following through on these moves, though I’m guessing sunak will as they are basically his idea. 

You really should pay attention to detail and not make false claims about what other posters say…

But you did tell everyone they have been talking in the background, via your subscription to The Guardian post.....????

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nope. 

I repeatedly pointed out to you johnson made clear he wouldn’t act and he hasn’t. 

In fact I pointed out johnson, truss and sunak were doing nothing and not committing to a plan of action no matter who wins. 

None of those trying to push forward with windfall taxes are pm or competing to be pm. In addition the plans being considered are sunak’s rather than those truss advocates. 

Neither candidate has as of yet committed to following through on these moves, though I’m guessing sunak will as they are basically his idea. 

You really should pay attention to detail and not make false claims about what other posters say…

Be Patient .

Wait until a leader has been elected .

Nothing can happen until then 

• Confused 1

Loved this exchange from truss’ gb news interview 

“Q: I am a carer and I work very hard for just under £70 a week. We save money for the NHS. I am having to use my life savings. What will you do to help?

Truss thanks the man for what he does. It is incredibly important, she says. She says it is better for people to be looked after by their families.

She wants to look at the tax system to ensure it can better support people who do take time off to care for someone, she says. But she would have to see how that interacts with the benefits system.

The questioner says carer’s allowance is a benefit. Changes to the tax system would not help, he says.

Truss says she wants to ensure money goes to councils, so they can help. But we need to look at the system, she says. She says she does not have a detailed answer. But in principle she wants to help people caring for people at home.

The questioner says government has had plenty of time to think about this. Carers cannot withdraw their labour, he says.

Truss says she will support families “who do the right thing”

You just got schooled truss…absolutely no grasp of minutia of her own policies. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/aug/10/liz-truss-rishi-sunak-conservative-leadership-race-chris-skidmore-defects-energy-prices-uk-politics-latest?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, baboon said:

Alas, I fear it will be the latter. If the ERG don't get their way, they will burn the house down out of sheer spite and moderate Tories know it.

'Either we run the place or nobody does.'

Wow, that really is a way out assumption..............????

• Confused 1

Please observe the following when posting:

4. Proofread your post first as poor grammar and spelling can make a post difficult to understand. Posts regarding spelling and grammar can derail a topic and can also appear intolerant and unhelpful.

3 hours ago, baboon said:

Alas, I fear it will be the latter. If the ERG don't get their way, they will burn the house down out of sheer spite and moderate Tories know it.

'Either we run the place or nobody does.'

Great idea. Let’s go for it. 

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Yes. Look at the Crime and Policing bill. Look at Truss wanting to abolish the right to strike. Look at the privatisation of Channel 4 for upsetting the regime.

Full of great ideas today. Let’s flog the BBC off too, for anti-government leftist and woke propaganda.

• Haha 1

Hmm, truss camp appear to be getting antsy about sunak's campaign...going into attack mode

''Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, remains the frontrunner and this morning her camp is launching a fresh line of attack against her rival Rishi Sunak, the former chancellor. In an article for the Daily Telegraph two leading Truss supporters, Simon Clarke, the chief secretary to the Treasury, and Kwasi Kwarteng, the business secretary, accuse him of frustrating government attempts to realise the benefits of Brexit. They write:

[Sunak] talks about cutting EU regulations, yet dug his heels in as chancellor against efforts to do exactly that and realise the benefits of Brexit. We both saw it in cabinet, including resisting reforms to the EU’s Solvency II regulation – making it harder for pension funds and investors to invest in British business and infrastructure – and being backward-leaning on moving ahead with legislation to fix issues with the Northern Ireland protocol.''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/aug/11/tory-leadership-liz-truss-rishi-sunak-brexit-economy-uk-politics-latest?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-62f4acea8f083b8f443fefef#block-62f4acea8f083b8f443fefef

• Like 2

Now granted the above comment is probably a very poor joke, but still an odd way to start a debate. 

I am curious though as to why truss thinks there are women currently in gaol for not paying their tv licence…she also claimed this was the case during the hustings. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Opening statement from truss at tonight’s hustings. 

“Pledging to not let the Lib Dems gain more councils across the country, Truss said she will “re-establish the Liberal Democrat unit at CCHQ to ensure a crackdown to stop that from happening”.

Sounds like she has lost the plot completely. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/aug/11/tory-leadership-liz-truss-rishi-sunak-brexit-economy-uk-politics-latest?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

"Lost the plot", I think that's Dianne Abbott, bluespunk, but it seems Liz Truss is still on course for the top job, and Rishi to the back benches

Oh dear, truss drops another b******

Getting a lot of pushback after her comments, claims made with no evidence produced to back them up. 

“Mike Katz, of the Jewish Labour Movement, added: “We’re not sure what the ‘woke civil service culture that strays into antisemitism’ is. But what we are sure is that this is a desperate and divisive attempt by Liz Truss to drag Jews into her campaign to win over the Conservative membership with nonsense buzzword pledges.” 

Mike Clancy, the general secretary of Prospect, another civil service union, said Truss “should have a better grip on both the evidence and facts about what is happening in the civil service. If there is evidence, she should publish it”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/12/liz-truss-protect-british-jews-antisemitism-woke-culture?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1