Truss surges ahead, wins key backers in U.K. leadership race for prime minister

onthedarkside

Just now, Bluespunk said:

I know the difference between Official Opposition and those that comprise of an opposition to the tories. I have only referred to the latter. 

And to be honest I believe both defined groups are praying for a truss win. 

Now that you have been schooled shall we get back on topic?

555 you're funny. Good to see you finally read my link though and understand the UK system now. Never too old to learn.

Although your attempt to save face is a bit like referring to The Democrats in a discussion on US politics and then later claiming you didn't mean the policitical party at all, you just meant anyone who believes in Democratic values, including Republicans, the greens, the natural law party etc. ????

Weak. Soooo weak. ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The figures were that 20 000 Police jobs had been lost and that 20 000 Police jobs would be created . 

Yes, 20 000 isn't the exact figure , just a general rounding up/down to the nearest whole figure 

Really? You got some evidence for that? His programs seems quite definite.

But lets say it might be 21,000 or 19,000? But how would that address the thousands additional officers who have since been lost? Maybe you should claim that Jonhson is so mathematically inept that the he rounded 25,000 or 30,000 down to 20,000.

Boris Johnson's drive to hire 20,000 police officers will 'start within weeks'

Boris Johnson's leadership election pledge to recruit 20,000 extra police officers over the next three years will be put into action within weeks, he is claiming. 

The prime minister says his drive to deliver more frontline officers - which he has made a top priority - will start in September with the launch of a national campaign led by the Home Office.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnsons-drive-to-hire-20-000-police-officers-to-start-within-weeks-11770690

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

555 you're funny. Good to see you finally read my link though and understand the UK system now. Never too old to learn.

Although your attempt to save face is a bit like referring to The Democrats in a discussion on US politics and then later claiming you didn't mean the policitical party at all, you just meant anyone who believes in Democratic values, including Republicans, the greens, the natural law party etc. ????

Weak. Soooo weak. ????

Erm, not sure how you get the idea I have changed anything I have said in this exchange, but I guess you need an out.

Ah, you should googled Official Opposition and the word opposition to see how they are different things-would have saved you some embarrassment here if you had. 

Oops…

#gotruss-the opposition candidate. 

Edited by Bluespunk

19 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

To be realistic, the Whole World is suffering at the moment . 

Its a World thing, rather than a U.K thing 

But the EU economy is still growing on average, unlike the UK's.

Euro zone economy grows 0.7% in the second quarter despite gas crisis and inflation surge

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/29/euro-area-gdp-q2-2022-growth-accelerates-for-euro-zone.html

46 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was your "joke" about the BBC referring to Truss as being a Zombie is what I made the inquiry about 

I wrote that someone should inform the BBC that Truss is not a zombie. Who could possibly believe that this was actual news or that the BBC believed otherwise? You don't think that were it to tout that a candidate for PM is a zombie it might draw a modicum of attention from other media? 

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I wrote that someone should inform the BBC that Truss is not a zombie. 

Yes, and I just wanted you to clarify that the BBC hadn't actually called Truss a Zombie , so there's no need to inform them that She isn't one.

Seems like you were saying that as the BBC called Truss a Zombie, they need to be informed that she isnt one  

22 hours ago, RayC said:

And how do you propose to tackle these undemocratic elements? Abolish the free press? Set up a UK version of the McCarthy hearings?

You could start by abolishing the biased press, starting with the BBC. 
They are supposed to report news, not manipulate it to meet their own agenda. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bannork said:

in other words, pay those outside London less for doing exactly the same job.

I think you will find it is called "the London allowance"!

Those  now not commuting/WFH should not be getting it!

3 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I think you will find it is called "the London allowance"!

Those  now not commuting/WFH should not be getting it!

They will probably still pay staff the allowance for two years after relocating, as this what has had to be done to incentivise staff to relocate previously. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Don't you want the media to call out corrupt, lying politicians or should they all simply be given a free pass to do what they want?

Blair and Starmer got a free pass. Boris didn’t actually do anything worth the press hysteria. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

Blair and Starmer got a free pass. Boris didn’t actually do anything worth the press hysteria. 

He did raise a glass of beer at the office on a Friday afternoon , when a colleague was  leaving and it was a farewell office party , and at the time it was legal to go into the office to work  , but having a party wasn't allowed , shocking way to behave at Christmas

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, baboon said:

How did you find out about Blair and Starmer (not that Starmer did anything wrong)?

What have either of them ever done right? (or in non political terms I should say - correct?)

Edited by DezLez