Truss surges ahead, wins key backers in U.K. leadership race for prime minister

onthedarkside

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The only people who voted for Boris are those in his own constituency of Uxbridge and South Ruislip, where he won 52.6 % of votes cast.

So just over half of his own constituency, to claim this ad ‘The people’ is a bit of a stretch. 

His large general election win was more Boris and brexit. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not the truth, your accusations are baseless and patent nonsense.

Johnson was brought down by a vote by his own party’s MPs.

That vote and the outcome of that vote are a recorded fact.

You need to come to terms with these facts.

It’s all there in the newspapers and tv records. The facts are there. You may have missed it, or are pretending it never happened. 

Do you expect us to believe that one day some Tory MPs suddenly decided that they would like to oust Boris?

On 7/31/2022 at 1:10 PM, Bluespunk said:

Oh truss’ ineptitude is going to <deleted> off plenty of people in the country if she gets the top job.

The opposition know this and I suspect are praying the tories are stupid enough to put her in place. 

Weeell, don't be too hasty, your lot are in a disarray at the mo, it could be your beer Kier is heading for the chop in the not to near future, you must have heard the rumblings over there from the Union money controllers................????

• Confused 1

Just now, Loiner said:

I thought Blair was the worst ever too. I can’t think of any other PMs who lied so much to Parliament and should now be in The Hague Prison as a war criminal. 

Corby is a very close second, he never hid the fact of his close terrorist connections...????

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeell, don't be too hasty, your lot are in a disarray at the mo, it could be your beer Kier is heading for the chop in the not to near future, you must have heard the rumblings over there from the Union money controllers................????

My lot?

I don’t have a lot as such. 

however have already told one poster I ain’t voting in the uk as I am not resident.

Certainly wouldn’t vote Labour if I was though. 

As to starmer’s fate…couldn’t care less. 

• Haha 1

Uh oh…more tory infighting. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/01/rishi-sunak-rejects-claim-doomster-attitude-economy-income-tax-cut?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“What she’s suggesting is entirely sticking with the failed orthodoxy of the last 10 years,” Sunak said of Truss’s policy, adding that people were looking at the last months of Boris Johnson’s leadership through rose-tinted spectacles.

Addressing Johnson’s behaviour and citing his resignation along with 60 MPs, Sunak said the government found itself on the “wrong side of an ethical issue”.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Uh oh…more tory infighting. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/01/rishi-sunak-rejects-claim-doomster-attitude-economy-income-tax-cut?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“What she’s suggesting is entirely sticking with the failed orthodoxy of the last 10 years,” Sunak said of Truss’s policy, adding that people were looking at the last months of Boris Johnson’s leadership through rose-tinted spectacles.

Addressing Johnson’s behaviour and citing his resignation along with 60 MPs, Sunak said the government found itself on the “wrong side of an ethical issue”.

Infighting? ????

Outside of your lefty echo chamber we refer to it as democratic process and vigorous debating. That's how you work through these issues, not by calling for anything you disagree with to be cancelled.

• Like 1

She put me off ,when she made the "Pork Bellies"

speech ,came over as a loony , the whole lot are

useless , just at the time when we need a PM we

can trust ,and knows what they are doing..

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

She put me off ,when she made the "Pork Bellies"

speech ,came over as a loony , the whole lot are

useless , just at the time when we need a PM we

can trust ,and knows what they are doing..

regards worgeordie

"We can trust", well give us a clue as to who......????

Forgetting the tax debate, there seems something very Fishy about Rishi on his quest to be PM. After all, he instigated the Boris downfall.

Perhaps he is looking for huge admiration from his roots countrymen to being the boss in the UK. When I read about his tax U-turn that very much clinched it for me.

Perhaps if he loses the race, he may lose the face, I hope he hasn't a high balcony. ????

I think voters will look to Liz as a fresh start, see what happens, well that's what I think.

Voters will also know that the two Party's opposite are totally useless, especially the Labour Trade Union Bench  ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

"We can trust", well give us a clue as to who......????

None of the current crop on both sides that's sure,

It could never happen ,but maybe it should , bring

someone in from outside politics , a successful

business person ,as the country is in a terrible

mess ,

regards Worgeordie

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Infighting? ????

Outside of your lefty echo chamber we refer to it as democratic process and vigorous debating. That's how you work through these issues, not by calling for anything you disagree with to be cancelled.

Yeah right

#gotruss

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The front page of the current issue of Private eye , says it all.

pictures of Truss and Sunak ,striding forward , headline

Tory candidates offer fresh start ,   with a speech balloon

coming from both their mouths ,   "only I can sort out the mess 

left by the government I was in " 

regards Worgeordie 

Although it is a joke from a humour publication , but they would be the leader , rather than being led.

There is a difference from being a member of a group to being leader of that group 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

I thought Blair was the worst ever too. I can’t think of any other PMs who lied so much to Parliament and should now be in The Hague Prison as a war criminal. 

Well he would need to be tried and found guilty of war crimes first, but yeah: Iraq was a terrible business we should have had no involvement in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

I agree that there is a difference between leading and being led. However, the UK government is based on the concept of shared (cabinet) responsibility. Sunak and Truss were both members of the cabinet. If they disagreed so vehemently with Johnson's direction they should have resigned (in Sunak's case long before he did).

It is disingenuous of them to now try to distance themselves from government decisions which they supported.

If all Politicians resigned when they disagreed with any of the  P.M's policies, there would be very few ministers left , just a handful of ministers agreeing with everything the PM says .

Its a Left Wing publication saying that all Conservative policies are wrong and all Conservatives need to go and make way for a Labour Government  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, baboon said:

No they weren't and no it didn't. There was no witch hunt. He was ousted by his own party due to his lies, corruption and incompetence. 

Oh yes they were and there was an orchestrated witch hunt for months. 
His own party only joined to protect, or jockey for, their positions at the very last minute. 
It’s may be very unpalatable for the left and MSM to be seen  as part of an undemocratic coup, but we saw what you did. 

• Like 2