Famous Nomad Capitalist Youtuber "recommends" Pattaya as a good and cheap place to live but with a bit of predictable snark

Jingthing

On 8/2/2022 at 6:12 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Look at him. Would you want to live anywhere he wants to live?

Nuff said

Nomad1.png.a0d0c2dad885e6a10b6929184efe366d.png

That guy is such a Noodge!  I used to watch his videos extensively when I was thinking of starting  up an offshore business entity.  All of his videos were just "teasers" giving you a little bit of useful information, but really designed to get you to pay him for paid consulting.

This dude is on point.   He does a lot of research and does give good advice to ensure your money last during retirement.  

He works very hard at what he does and if you are seriously thinking of leaving to retire in a country where you can make you money go further, he does have good tips.

Kev always used to make me laugh, don't know if the rumours about him were true but he died of cancer a year after doing a vlog about health insurance, that he never got. Shagwell mansions, only in a family resort like Patters ????

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:35 AM, ratcatcher said:

Some would say he doesn't quite have that "Pattaya lean & hungry look". He looks like a bank  manager from Tunbridge Wells.  ????

What a strange statement, tunbridge wells being such a small place, you must be from Kent....

30 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Pattaya SUCKS! LOL!!!  I'm so sorry I chose to live here.  As soon as my lease expires, I'm moving back to Chiang Mai, and I can't wait!

My gripes about Pattaya (Jomtien, actually)  in no particular order. 

• The food selections in grocery stores or restaurants is terrible.  There are really only several groceries that carry Western food and brand selection is severely limited and extremely over-priced (compared with Chiang Mai).  I went to what was supposed to be one of the best Italian restaurant in Pattaya and was served spaghetti that was made with egg noodles and a gravy that I swear was made from ketchup!  The selection of really good restaurants and street food is also severely limited, compared to Chiang Mai.  A simple gauge of this is a popular YouTuber named Mark Wiens who does amazing food reviews from all around the world.  He has done literally dozens and dozens of reviews from Chiang Mai, and only one review of food from Pattaya that was over 7 years ago!  BTW, Mark Wien's YouTube channel is amazing, and his videos are a treasure trove of the best places to eat all over Thailand!
  • Beyond going to the beach there is nothing fun to do (unless you're into raunchy nightlife, and second rate night cafes and bars, which I am not not).  Even going to the beach is marred by grossly overweight people showing off their ugly bodies in Speedos and bikinis LOL!
  • Culturally, Pattaya is virtually sterile.  No good art galleries, no theater, no museums or cultural organizations, no universities of renown, not even any good gathering places for intellectual interaction like co-working spaces and coffee cafes.
  • It's full of older expats who are bitter about the world in general, and just waiting to die (I know that sounds harsh, but all around me are those types who, if you say "hi, how's it going?" to them, they proceed to give you a long liany of their latest ailments or how much they hate being in Thailand, or just walking around with sour looks on their faces, complaining about something but never smiling.
  • There's nowhere to just take a walk or ride a bike that's peaceful and quiet....even the beach after dark!  Back home, taking a walk on the beach after dark was where I did my best thinking about personal goals and business ideas.  Here in Pattaya if you do that, you're approached over and over by "Money-boys" trying to solicit you for sex!
  • When I first moved to the area there were lots of Western expats and vacationers of all ages, interests, and backgrounds to interact with.  Now, there are only predominantly Russians attempting to escape the present troubles of their country, and who, on the whole, are loud, rude and coarse in public!  And there are so many of them that when you walk down a street or beach, the predominant language you hear in a crowd is Russian, not Thai!
  • On almost every street there are "feel good" massage parlors with sex workers that aggressively solicit you, which is fine if that's your thing, but if it's not, it can feel like crossing thru a battle ground just to get to your local grocery store! 
  • There is just this sort of dead "vibe" about Pattaya aside form the the fake trapping of a sex-city, whereas in Chiang Mai there is always a vibrant, almost electric vibe no matter where you go, and no matter what time of the day or night it is.

If you're thing is seedy night-life and sex with prostitutes, or if you're a disgruntled senior looking for like-minded expats to share your lifestyle by sitting on a park bench commiserating about how horrible your life is, Pattaya is surely your kind of place.  If not, there are much nicer places to live, and IMO Chiang Mai is an amazing place that I sorely miss.

Well summed up

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Pattaya SUCKS! LOL!!!  I'm so sorry I chose to live here.  As soon as my lease expires, I'm moving back to Chiang Mai, and I can't wait!

• The food selections in grocery stores or restaurants is terrible.  There are really only several groceries that carry Western food and brand selection is severely limited and extremely over-priced (compared with Chiang Mai).  I went to what was supposed to be one of the best Italian restaurant in Pattaya and was served spaghetti that was made with egg noodles and a gravy that I swear was made from ketchup!  The selection of really good restaurants and street food is also severely limited, compared to Chiang Mai.  A simple gauge of this is a popular YouTuber named Mark Wiens who does amazing food reviews from all around the world.  He has done literally dozens and dozens of reviews from Chiang Mai, and only one review of food from Pattaya that was over 7 years ago!  BTW, Mark Wien's YouTube channel is amazing, and his videos are a treasure trove of the best places to eat all over Thailand!
  • Beyond going to the beach there is nothing fun to do (unless you're into raunchy nightlife, and second rate night cafes and bars, which I am not not).  Even going to the beach is marred by grossly overweight people showing off their ugly bodies in Speedos and bikinis LOL!
  • Culturally, Pattaya is virtually sterile.  No good art galleries, no theater, no museums or cultural organizations, no universities of renown, not even any good gathering places for intellectual interaction like co-working spaces and coffee cafes.
  • It's full of older expats who are bitter about the world in general, and just waiting to die (I know that sounds harsh, but all around me are those types who, if you say "hi, how's it going?" to them, they proceed to give you a long liany of their latest ailments or how much they hate being in Thailand, or just walking around with sour looks on their faces, complaining about something but never smiling.
  • There's nowhere to just take a walk or ride a bike that's peaceful and quiet....even the beach after dark!  Back home, taking a walk on the beach after dark was where I did my best thinking about personal goals and business ideas.  Here in Pattaya if you do that, you're approached over and over by "Money-boys" trying to solicit you for sex!
  • When I first moved to the area there were lots of Western expats and vacationers of all ages, interests, and backgrounds to interact with.  Now, there are only predominantly Russians attempting to escape the present troubles of their country, and who, on the whole, are loud, rude and coarse in public!  And there are so many of them that when you walk down a street or beach, the predominant language you hear in a crowd is Russian, not Thai!
  • On almost every street there are "feel good" massage parlors with sex workers that aggressively solicit you, which is fine if that's your thing, but if it's not, it can feel like crossing thru a battle ground just to get to your local grocery store! 
  • There is just this sort of dead "vibe" about Pattaya aside form the the fake trapping of a sex-city, whereas in Chiang Mai there is always a vibrant, almost electric vibe no matter where you go, and no matter what time of the day or night it is.

If you're thing is seedy night-life and sex with prostitutes, or if you're a disgruntled senior looking for like-minded expats to share your lifestyle by sitting on a park bench commiserating about how horrible your life is, Pattaya is surely your kind of place.  If not, there are much nicer places to live, and IMO Chiang Mai is an amazing place that I sorely miss.

Yes and yes and yes. You seem to know Pattaya. But is Chiang Mai really an alternative given the poor air quality? I think both locations are far from perfect.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Ketchup sauce on pasta?

Where do you get your restaurant recommendations?

Google reviews, which is usually a good indicator.  Not this time.  The restaurant was highly rated.  It turned out to be one of the worst italian dinners I ever had. 

Pattaya is NOT a mecca for fine dining, and that even includes the street food. 

I NEVER eat street food in Pattaya just because of the unsanitary conditions of some of the vendors I've encountered. 

In short, I just don't eat out much in Pattaya and prepare my own meals at home.  In Chiang Mai, it was exactly the opposite.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Google reviews, which is usually a good indicator.  Not this time.  The restaurant was highly rated.  It turned out to be one of the worst italian dinners I ever had. 

Pattaya is NOT a mecca for fine dining, and that even includes the street food. 

I NEVER eat street food in Pattaya just because of the unsanitary conditions of some of the vendors I've encountered. 

In short, I just don't eat out much in Pattaya and prepare my own meals at home.  In Chiang Mai, it was exactly the opposite.

I call B.S.

There are many excellent International restaurant options in Pattaya.

The pandemic did take some hits but it did everywhere.

Your lame attempt to paint Pattaya as a city where good Italian restaurants serve ketchup sauce beggars belief.

You lost credibility.

You can get ketchup sauce pasta all over Thailand at cheap dives catering to Thais.

Yes of course if you want a concentration of the best expensive fine dining options in Thailand then the place to go is Bsngkok.

Convenient to Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Yes and yes and yes. You seem to know Pattaya. But is Chiang Mai really an alternative given the poor air quality? I think both locations are far from perfect.

I think the air quality is far worse in Pattaya on the whole but I agree that they are both pretty bad. 

In April during the smoky season in Chiang mai, I agree with you.  There is probably no worse place on the face of the earth in terms of air quality than Chiang Mai during the smoky season...but, all you had to do to escape it was to take a bike ride up Doi Suthep and the air was crystal clear.

Nonetheless, it was during a particularly bad smoky season that I decided to relocate to Pattaya.  That was before Covid, and I have to admit that Pattaya seemed like a nice place to be, but that changed radically after Covid...and it still has not recovered, and only gotten worse.

I just can't think of any redeeming qualities to staying in Pattaya, but can think of plenty when it comes to Chiang Mai.  I know there are plenty of even nicer places to live in Thailand than both, but I happen to like life in Chiang Mai even with its' drawbacks.  I like the scenery better and the landscape (mountains), I like the people better, and I like the cultural atmosphere better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I call B.S.

There are many excellent International restaurant options in Pattaya.

The pandemic did take some hits but it did everywhere.

Your lame attempt to paint Pattaya as a city where good Italian restaurants serve ketchup sauce beggars belief.

You lost credibility.

You can get ketchup sauce pasta all over Thailand at cheap dives catering to Thais.

Yes of course if you want a concentration of the best expensive fine dining options in Thailand then the place to go is Bsngkok.

Convenient to Pattaya.

Don't get your panties in a twist, bud!  It is what it is.  I'm not making any of it up.  Like I said, Mark Wiens is famous for his food channel and he's only made ONE youtube video about Pattaya (and it really wasn't about food but simply a weekend outing from Bangkok.  On the other hand he's made dozens of videos about what refers to as the "LEGENDARY" restaurant cuisine and street foods of Chiang Mai.

I don't think there would be many that would disagree that Pattaya is known as a seedy town whose reputation is built on the availability of sex workers and cheap bars catering to expats with not a lot of money to spend.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Don't get your panties in a twist, bud!  It is what it is.  I'm not making any of it up.  Like I said, Mark Wiens is famous for his food channel and he's only made ONE youtube video about Pattaya (and it really wasn't about food but simply a weekend outing from Bangkok.  On the other hand he's made dozens of videos about what refers to as the "LEGENDARY" restaurant cuisine and street foods of Chiang Mai.

I don't think there would be many that would disagree that Pattaya is known as a seedy town whose reputation is built on the availability of sex workers and cheap bars catering to expats with not a lot of money to spend.

San Francisco started like Pattaya. 

Mark Weins is very ambitious and wouldn't take the risk of associating himself with Pattaya regardless.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The arts and culture mecca of Thailand is Bangkok.

Convenient to Pattaya.

...and second to Bangkok is Chiang Mai in terms of cultural offerings, NOT Pattaya.  And unlike Bangkok, Chaing Mai has drop-dead beautiful scenery, and indigenous cultures to explore, and is a place you can enjoy peace and quiet when you want. 

Chiang Mai has got so much to offer compared to Pattaya.  For anyone wanting to really feel like they are experiencing the true "Magic Kingdom", Pattaya can't hold a candle to Chiang Mai, unless Red Light districts are your defining yard stick.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

San Francisco started like Pattaya. 

...and look at what San Francisco is like today LOL!  It's perhaps the worst major city to live in today in the US, even eclipsing Detroit in the last couple of years!

You're kind of making my point for me...thanks ????

Edited by WaveHunter

19 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Sorry your Pattaya experience was not a positive one.  That has not been the case for my partner and myself.  As I said in my post, Pattaya is now a big city, with a lot of different areas on offer.  My partner and I find plenty of good restaurants to eat at--but we range all over the city--including the Darkside, where we now live.  I think a number of expats have decamped to the Darkside as beachside Pattaya has become more and more popular with tourists. There's a great seafood restaurant on Sukhumvit near the Mercedes dealer, of all places.  Mostly frequented by Thais--who know about it.  Restaurants like that all over, but sometimes you need to seek them out.   Ditto for plenty of grocery stores:  Makro, Big C, Tescos, Foodland, Tops, Villa Market, and several others provide about all we need when it comes to food selection.  I think if you can't find something to eat in Pattaya you're in deep kimchi and may need to rethink the Far East experience.

Unlike you, the expat friends we have known for years are all still here.  I can't think of a single expat we know who has moved to somewhere else.  None of the friends we know fit your description.  You might think we have been lucky in our friends here but I believe there are plenty of Pattaya expats leading happy lives here, enjoying their retirement years in a nice place to live with pleasant weather year-round.  We're just not as visible as those hanging out at the bars at 10am.

There's recreation around if you look for it.  We like the walking and bike path around Mabprachan Lake.  There are parks scattered all around.  Pattaya has a half dozen or more beaches to choose from.  If one is too noisy for your beach walk, try another one instead.  We used to live in Wong Amat and enjoyed the beach there.   We don't have a home gym so we have a gym membership at one of the nice resorts and we go to the gym there about 2 or 3 times a week.  And, there's nothing like having your own private pool to enjoy year-round.

I'm going to venture a guess that Chiang Mai also has massage parlors--I've been to CM about 5 times but didn't take note of them.  As a Pattaya resident it's not something I give much thought to here, either.  They are certainly a bigger presence in the tourist areas and not so much in other parts of town.  Not a big deal, in any case, at least for me.

I would agree with you that Pattaya is lacking in culture events, museums, art galleries, etc.  That was also the case where my partner and I lived in the US--but a big city with all that was nearby.  Same here--Bangkok is just 2 hours away, so it's not far if that's important.  I love the movies so I am happy to have several movie theaters in Pattaya showing films in English.

So, again, sorry your experience was not optimal and I wish you good luck in CM.  Safe travels.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Sorry your Pattaya experience was not a positive one.  That has not been the case for my partner and myself.  As I said in my post, Pattaya is now a big city, with a lot of different areas on offer.  My partner and I find plenty of good restaurants to eat at--but we range all over the city--including the Darkside, where we now live.  I think a number of expats have decamped to the Darkside as beachside Pattaya has become more and more popular with tourists. There's a great seafood restaurant on Sukhumvit near the Mercedes dealer, of all places.  Mostly frequented by Thais--who know about it.  Restaurants like that all over, but sometimes you need to seek them out.   Ditto for plenty of grocery stores:  Makro, Big C, Tescos, Foodland, Tops, Villa Market, and several others provide about all we need when it comes to food selection.  I think if you can't find something to eat in Pattaya you're in deep kimchi and may need to rethink the Far East experience.

Unlike you, the expat friends we have known for years are all still here.  I can't think of a single expat we know who has moved to somewhere else.  None of the friends we know fit your description.  You might think we have been lucky in our friends here but I believe there are plenty of Pattaya expats leading happy lives here, enjoying their retirement years in a nice place to live with pleasant weather year-round.  We're just not as visible as those hanging out at the bars at 10am.

There's recreation around if you look for it.  We like the walking and bike path around Mabprachan Lake.  There are parks scattered all around.  Pattaya has a half dozen or more beaches to choose from.  If one is too noisy for your beach walk, try another one instead.  We used to live in Wong Amat and enjoyed the beach there.   We don't have a home gym so we have a gym membership at one of the nice resorts and we go to the gym there about 2 or 3 times a week.  And, there's nothing like having your own private pool to enjoy year-round.

I'm going to venture a guess that Chiang Mai also has massage parlors--I've been to CM about 5 times but didn't take note of them.  As a Pattaya resident it's not something I give much thought to here, either.  They are certainly a bigger presence in the tourist areas and not so much in other parts of town.  Not a big deal, in any case, at least for me.

I would agree with you that Pattaya is lacking in culture events, museums, art galleries, etc.  That was also the case where my partner and I lived in the US--but a big city with all that was nearby.  Same here--Bangkok is just 2 hours away, so it's not far if that's important.  I love the movies so I am happy to have several movie theaters in Pattaya showing films in English.

So, again, sorry your experience was not optimal and I wish you good luck in CM.  Safe travels.

I know my assessment was harsh; probably too harsh since everyone has different priorities of what makes a place liveable vs not. 

For me, enjoying the outdoors without having to travel great distances is important.  In Pattaya (Jomtien) there really is no place to do that with the exception of Pratumnak Hill, which I admit is a wonderful park and one of the things I truly like about Pattaya, but the beach is just plain tragic.  It is filthy and polluted.  Many vacationers  that congregate on Dongtan beach during the day have a weird penchant for being extremely overweight and gross looking yet parade around in tiny Speedos (men) or bikinis (women), and it's both disgusting and comical at the same time LOL! 

I have nothing against fit, attractive people dressing that way on the beach, but I've never been on a beach where so many gross, unfit people insist on parading around with almost nothing on as though they're actually proud of their protruding bellies.  There is nothing more stomach-turning than to see a 70 year old man walking around in a thong with his belly practically hiding the front of it, and his backside exposed for the world to see!  So...enough on that.

Walking street (between Jomtien and Pratumnak USED TO BE a wonderful place for a leisurely walk.  Not anymore!  For some strange reason, the town decided to put those orange "crime lights" in like they use in high-crime areas in run down cities in America.  At night, it has a very unsettling effect.  They also stripped all the natural vegetation, cutting down trees or denuding them, makign what was once a lush, secluded, and enjoyable walk into one that was not.  Add to that the throngs of people, and it is no longer an appealing place just to walk and enjoy the scenery.

So, the beach area is no longer a pleasant palce to be IMO, and that just leaves Pratumnak Park.  Pratumnak Park is nice for bike riding.  I love to ride bikes, and there are a lot of trails to ride on there, but there are also a lot of sketchy people that hang out there too, and unfortunately, Pratumnak Park is nowhere you want to be when the sun goes down when ti becomes a downright dangerous place to be.  Riding to and from Pratumnak Park though is a disaster waiting to happen!  Drivers have little regard for cyclists, and in general have very poor driving skills IMO, compared with drivers in Chiang Mai.

In Chiang Mai, on the other hand, although it is just as crowded and polluted as Pattaya, I was only a five minute bike ride from Doi Suthep (the mountain), and on the hottest, most humid days, you could start to climb Doi Suthep on your bike and literally see and smell the pollution disappear.  The noise and pollution of the traffic would quickly disappear, and the temperture and humidity would quickly drop, and you'd find yourself in one of the most serene and beautiful landscapes that Thailand has to offer!  And that could all be had during a brief lunch hour ride!  If you didn't feel like climbing the mountain, there was always the campus of Chiang Mai University to hang out in, or the oasis of Huai Kaeo Arboretum to relax under the shade of exotic trees and shrubbery.  Chiang Mai just seemed to have it all, the vibrancy and excitement of a major metropolitan city as well as the peace and quiet of the mountainside.  What's more, in Chiang Mai there was literally no place that I feared to be after dark.  And riding a bike around Chiang Mai always felt safe to me since drivers on the whole were always very courteous to cyclicts.

For me, good food that is readily available is important.  I'm not talking about 5-star eateries, just good wholesome food that tastes good, is prepared well, and is healthy, and low-priced.  It's true there are some eateries like that here in Pattaya, but not many that are that memorable.  In Chiang Mai, by contrast there were dozens and dozens of places to eat that were on my "favorites" list, each with something that made them unique and outstanding.  In Pattaya, it's often just "same-same".

I'm just voicing my personal opinion, that's all.  I don't really even know why I wrote the first post.  I guess it's just the frustration I feel at being here, locked into a lease that doesn't expire until September.  Until then, maybe a few weekend trips to Chiang Mai will relieve the pressure ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

So, the beach is out

Dongtan beach. Oh, that's IT. ???? I'm enjoying the Russian hotties nowadays.  Mountains bore me after short time, but sea views never do, for some reason. You know that Dale Carnegie poem,

Two men looked out from prison bars,

One saw the mud, the other saw stars.

Seems you're just demonizing Pattaya 'cause you've decided on Chiang Mai. All you got is little worm's eye complaints and haven't answered their very credible refutations. If cycling is SO important, should have moved over to Lake Mabprachan. How could you possibly have moved to such a busy area? It's not important to me or anyone I know. I cycled long ago when it was really fun.

You can be out after dark around the lake. Dunno why that's so important either. I'm rarely out after dark and don't miss it a bit. I've done those long runs after dark and before dawn, in freezing cold. Now I enjoy quiet time at the condo to catch up on reading, movies, stretching, and the gf.

As @newnativesaid, wide variety of restos in Pattaya. Our resident expert and connoisseur, @Jingthing, verifies that's the case. Just tried a new one on the Darkside, excellent and memorable. But as @saaiyer says, "Most fit people I know keep their food, exercise and relationships basic, simple, clean and repetitive. Variety is overrated." So it is with me. Don't care what any reviewers say. Wherever I am, I fix as much food as possible in the room, bring supplies with me. Much healthier. I imagine a lot of old fat guys with too much money on their hands need to visit a lot of restos.

I don't eat Thai street food anywhere. Did that as a tourist decades ago. I'll often order off menu at Thai restos. Also saw the tourist cultural shows. Don't need any more of those, can easily find enough culture. Speaking basic Thai helps w/ Thais, learned quite a lot. Don't need any phony intellectual conversations. Can shop for anything I want or order it online.

Been to Chiang Mai several times, nice for a visit, nothing compels me to live there. Yeah, quite happy here in Pattaya, enough friends, breeze from the sea doesn't seem so polluted, enjoy its dystopian aspects (fan of dystopian SF here) along with the modern luxurious. Like the circus. Bars, part of the wallpaper. Love living near the beach. Has a bit of everything--if you look. And I couldn't care less what anyone thinks. I think for myself. 

On the other hand, a puckered sphincter must be unpleasant for you to deal with and makes things seem a lot worse than they really are. Your wish to leave is most understandable. As this isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure. You might kindly refrain from bashing Pattaya from afar, as is the habit of so many refugees, and merely gurgle over Chiang Mai in the Chiang Mai forum. Got one troll in Cambodia keeping up his Thailand bashing for years, like a vindictive old woman. Find happiness and enjoy where you are.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 1:37 PM, BigStar said:

Dongtan beach. Oh, that's IT. ???? I'm enjoying the Russian hotties nowadays.  Mountains bore me after short time, but sea views never do, for some reason. You know that Dale Carnegie poem,

Two men looked out from prison bars,

One saw the mud, the other saw stars.

Seems you're just demonizing Pattaya 'cause you've decided on Chiang Mai. All you got is little worm's eye complaints and haven't answered their very credible refutations. If cycling is SO important, should have moved over to Lake Mabprachan. How could you possibly have moved to such a busy area? It's not important to me or anyone I know. I cycled long ago when it was really fun.

You can be out after dark around the lake. Dunno why that's so important either. I'm rarely out after dark and don't miss it a bit. I've done those long runs after dark and before dawn, in freezing cold. Now I enjoy quiet time at the condo to catch up on reading, movies, stretching, and the gf.

As @newnativesaid, wide variety of restos in Pattaya. Our resident expert and connoisseur, @Jingthing, verifies that's the case. Just tried a new one on the Darkside, excellent and memorable. But as @saaiyer says, "Most fit people I know keep their food, exercise and relationships basic, simple, clean and repetitive. Variety is overrated." So it is with me. Don't care what any reviewers say. Wherever I am, I fix as much food as possible in the room, bring supplies with me. Much healthier. I imagine a lot of old fat guys with too much money on their hands need to visit a lot of restos.

I don't eat Thai street food anywhere. Did that as a tourist decades ago. I'll often order off menu at Thai restos. Also saw the tourist cultural shows. Don't need any more of those, can easily find enough culture. Speaking basic Thai helps w/ Thais, learned quite a lot. Don't need any phony intellectual conversations. Can shop for anything I want or order it online.

Been to Chiang Mai several times, nice for a visit, nothing compels me to live there. Yeah, quite happy here in Pattaya, enough friends, breeze from the sea doesn't seem so polluted, enjoy its dystopian aspects (fan of dystopian SF here) along with the modern luxurious. Like the circus. Bars, part of the wallpaper. Love living near the beach. Has a bit of everything--if you look. And I couldn't care less what anyone thinks. I think for myself. 

On the other hand, a puckered sphincter must be unpleasant for you to deal with and makes things seem a lot worse than they really are. Your wish to leave is most understandable. As this isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure. You might kindly refrain from bashing Pattaya from afar, as is the habit of so many refugees, and merely gurgle over Chiang Mai in the Chiang Mai forum. Got one troll in Cambodia keeping up his Thailand bashing for years, like a vindictive old woman. Find happiness and enjoy where you are.

My complaints were probably over-the-top but just indicative of my distaste for Pattaya now.  I'm sure that for many, Pattaya is a fine place to live.  I just feel that Chiang Mai offers more of what "I" like about being in Thailand.  

First of all, being around like-minded expats is important to me.  I have nothing in common with most expats I meet in Pattaya.  In my condo, for example, most of the other expats living here are retired, over 65, and pursuing a retired lifestyle, with no interest in the business world other than managing their retirement funds, and no interest in outdoor lifestyles like mountain biking.  Golfing is big with them, but I hate golf.  I just have nothing in common with them, and therer is no place to really ride my bike without going 30+ kilmoeters out of town.

In Chiang Mai, on the other hand, there is a markedly younger, more active type of expat that's engaged in entrepreneurial pursuits like I am, and were drawn to Chiang for like-minded atmosphere.  Ditto as far as bike riding is concerned.  Cyclist from all around the world come to Chiang Mai because of the excellent road and off-road cycling opportunities.  I knew I was giving that all up when I moved to Pattaya but I didn't realize how much I would miss it.

I should have returned to Chiang Mai 3 years ago but then Covid reared its' ugly head and I became trapped here, so that's really why I feel so frustrated at being here now.

As far as food goes, I'm not into high cuisine or anything like that but I miss the variety and freshness, and low prices of natural foods in Chiang Mai.  Pattaya can not hold a candle to Chiang Mai in that regard, not by a country mile!

So, all in all, I apologize if I offended any lovers of Pattaya in my post remarks.  It's just not for me, and my past remarks were just me expressing my personal opinion.

As for the Nomad Capitalist, which is what this thread was really all about, he does have some useful information in his videos from time to time but he almost never dives down deep enough into them to be that informative, and really his videos are just a poorly veiled attempt to attract clients for his services....and some of his videos are embarrassingly pretentious.  In short, there are better YouTubers out there for almost any topic he presents.  Just my opnion, of course.

Edited by WaveHunter

Digital nomads are primarily interested in affordable living, decent infrastructure including internet and medical, decent facilities such as supermarkets with imported products, decent tech support and good entertainment. Pattaya ticks all those boxes.

• Like 1