Famous Nomad Capitalist Youtuber "recommends" Pattaya as a good and cheap place to live but with a bit of predictable snark

Jingthing

4 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I am simply stating my opinion of Pattaya vs Chiang Mai

Yah, yah. In the course of your endless repetitions of your worm's eye view of Pattaya and fatuous worries about "world opinion," you were also making nonsensical claims about being "stuck."

And no, you mostly haven't been "stuck," chose to stay even longer when you could easily have left, and you aren't stuck now. Did Mark Zuckerberg or Dustin Moskovitz worry about their leases before they moved to Palo Alto? Of course not. You can easily break your lease any time you choose. Note how you ignore this point. ????

And you're still here, going around in circles, wasting your time. What can we conclude? Only that our ace dynamic entrepreneur, digital nomad, world traveler, and formidable critic of English prose is simply fooling himself while posting BS on the Pattaya forum. Or, more likely, just another phony.

image.png.bc551679903ce275db24f79683ebe4a2.png

So my benevolent advice to stop dragging your *ss making excuses and running around looking for cheap testosterone enanthate when you could already be happily riding your bike and hanging out in a co-working space, breathing all that "true essence," creating an indispensable mobile app--that advice was both appropriate and extremely valuable. Yet, here you still are.???? By this time you could have created two apps, assuming you know how, and paid an Indian contractor on Fiverr for three more.

Nor does ingratitude augur entrepreneurial success, BTW. Very disappointing. Just no way to go through life, son. 

Chiang Mai has a good thing going by emptying the wallets of all these hapless dreamers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yah, yah. In the course of your endless repetitions of your worm's eye view of Pattaya and fatuous worries about "world opinion," you were also making nonsensical claims about being "stuck."

And no, you mostly haven't been "stuck," chose to stay even longer when you could easily have left, and you aren't stuck now. Did Mark Zuckerberg or Dustin Moskovitz worry about their leases before they moved to Palo Alto? Of course not. You can easily break your lease any time you choose. Note how you ignore this point. ????

And you're still here, going around in circles, wasting your time. What can we conclude? Only that our ace dynamic entrepreneur, digital nomad, world traveler, and formidable critic of English prose is simply fooling himself while posting BS on the Pattaya forum. Or, more likely, just another phony.

image.png.bc551679903ce275db24f79683ebe4a2.png

So my benevolent advice to stop dragging your *ss making excuses and running around looking for cheap testosterone enanthate when you could already be happily riding your bike and hanging out in a co-working space, breathing all that "true essence," creating an indispensable mobile app--that advice was both appropriate and extremely valuable. Yet, here you still are.???? By this time you could have created two apps, assuming you know how, and paid an Indian contractor on Fiverr for three more.

Nor does ingratitude augur entrepreneurial success, BTW. Very disappointing. Just no way to go through life, son. 

Chiang Mai has a good thing going by emptying the wallets of all these hapless dreamers.

Oh golly gee, sardonic comments with rapier like wit to boot!  I don't know if I can take all of this brutal honesty.  Seriously, you're about as clever and interesting as a box of hair!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Oh golly gee, sardonic comments with rapier like wit to boot!  I don't know if I can take all of this brutal honesty.  Seriously, you're about as clever and interesting as a box of hair!

Sorry if I've touched a nerve. After all, you are still here, and so your posts are still good for a laugh as well--for which you have no cogent reply. But keep in mind, now, as Paul Fussell writes, that satire holds out

The frail but noble hope, that is, that so much labor has not been lost, and that such a creature as man shall not in the end find nothing for his efforts at dignity and redemption but a broken promise and an unregarded grave.

--The Rhetorical World of Augustan Humanism

Hope. So, ever helpful, I thought of what your very first app, finally, should be, while you're pretending to be stuck in Pattaya. 

To wit, some sort of goals and time management tracker, like one of these:  15 Best Time Management Apps and Tools. Your innovation could be to add the hitherto lacking AI component, a ChatGPT that advises intelligent things, like get off your *ss and move to Chiang Mai--and automatically adds them into the ToDo list! Give it a social justice component, too. The cool thing is that you'll be such a great beta tester it'll be perfect by the time it's released, oh, five years from now.

Ooh. And you heard it right here. Hey--call it ANF co-working space, man.????

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

I really wanted to like Pattaya, but after about 6 months there I lost interest. The reason I live there periodically is basically the cheap rents and needed stuff nearby, and foreigner friendly environment without needing a motorbike.

Unless you like going to bars every day, there’s nothing to do but wander around a few small areas with a bunch of stores and shops. The majority of the shops I don’t have interest in unless they are serving food of some kind. Plus, I can’t walk around and buy stuff all day. I don’t collect material things and can’t afford it either. So, going to the mall every day and buying things is not an option for me either.

People always say I’m FOS about this and bring up stuff to do, or that I’m bringing my boring self with me, but if the stuff to do is not at my doorstep it does not fill the bill for me.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I really wanted to like Pattaya, but after about 6 months there I lost interest. The reason I live there periodically is basically the cheap rents and needed stuff nearby, and foreigner friendly environment without needing a motorbike.

Unless you like going to bars every day, there’s nothing to do but wander around a few small areas with a bunch of stores and shops. The majority of the shops I don’t have interest in unless they are serving food of some kind. Plus, I can’t walk around and buy stuff all day. I don’t collect material things and can’t afford it either. So, going to the mall every day and buying things is not an option for me either.

People always say I’m FOS about this and bring up stuff to do, or that I’m bringing my boring self with me, but if the stuff to do is not at my doorstep it does not fill the bill for me.

I'm curious.  When you are living somewhere else, what everyday activities are you doing?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BigStar said:

Sorry if I've touched a nerve. After all, you are still here, and so your posts are still good for a laugh as well--for which you have no cogent reply. But keep in mind, now, as Paul Fussell writes, that satire holds out

The frail but noble hope, that is, that so much labor has not been lost, and that such a creature as man shall not in the end find nothing for his efforts at dignity and redemption but a broken promise and an unregarded grave.

--The Rhetorical World of Augustan Humanism

Hope. So, ever helpful, I thought of what your very first app, finally, should be, while you're pretending to be stuck in Pattaya. 

To wit, some sort of goals and time management tracker, like one of these:  15 Best Time Management Apps and Tools. Your innovation could be to add the hitherto lacking AI component, a ChatGPT that advises intelligent things, like get off your *ss and move to Chiang Mai--and automatically adds them into the ToDo list! Give it a social justice component, too. The cool thing is that you'll be such a great beta tester it'll be perfect by the time it's released, oh, five years from now.

Ooh. And you heard it right here. Hey--call it ANF co-working space, man.????

Enough already. We get it.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I'm curious.  When you are living somewhere else, what everyday activities are you doing?  

Usually cultural stuff or live music, fairs, swap meets, mountain biking, hiking, etc. Or it was stuff that originated through common interests, like work or being a student. Associating with colleagues who had something going on.

The people I meet in Thailand are not working, studying or ambitious so it feels like a common ground of activities never appears, other then talking about where we are from or where we are going next.

Expats are just vegetating, or if Thai, are in real menial uninteresting jobs. I wish Thailand was more normal with people working and striving for something, rather than expats just vegetating and drinking because they are retired or can’t get a work permit.

Edited by JimTripper

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Usually cultural stuff or live music, fairs, swap meets, mountain biking, hiking, etc.

The problem may be that I don’t want to drive in Thailand. Even though I have no problem on a motorbike I am afraid of the legalities should I get in an accident and the other party is injured somehow.

I did live in NYC & San Francisco for years so it can’t all be transportation related if public methods are available. Best time living there, but it’s night and day compared to Bangkok or Pattaya. Both cities, what’s the difference?

Relationships make all the difference as well. I’m not finding a social network well in Thailand. It feels like people are not rooted in a location or are just passing through and don’t have interests other than getting loaded or traveling around.

The people I meet are not working, studying or ambitious so it feels like there is no common ground of activities to jump towards. People are just vegetating or in real menial uninteresting jobs.

The problem may be that you are living in Pattaya PERIOD.

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The problem may be that you are living in Pattaya PERIOD.

Yes, it could also be a personal problem I have with being retired or living in a retirement oriented destination.

I don’t enjoy traditional retired activities much like lying on the beach all day, or not doing much at all, at least not long term.

That’s why I have been re-thinking my plans regarding choice of country and city and something feels not right here even though I have been here for years because the cost of living is much less.

32 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Yes, it could also be a personal problem I have with being retired or living in a retirement oriented destination.

I don’t enjoy traditional retired activities much like lying on the beach all day, or not doing much at all, at least not long term.

That’s why I have been re-thinking my plans regarding choice of country and city and something feels not right here even though I have been here for years because the cost of living is much less.

It was the same for me though I'm not retired.  At first I didn't understand it, but gradually I also felt that something wasn't quite right about Pattaya. 

Pattaya has been a horrible experience but that doesn't mean the country as a whole is the same.  Right or wrong, I get the impression most expats living in Pattaya are just waiting to die.  As harsh as that sounds, I never felt that way about Chiang Mai...ever!

It's true that the cost of living is slightly higher, but not really by that much, and it's true that the pollution in Chiang Mai is bad during the smoky season, but that last for only a couple of months, and all it takes is a ride up Doi Suthep (the mountain) to escape that, where the air is crystal clear and cool even on the most polluted and hottest days.

We all make mistakes.  As soon as my lease ends in September, I will return to Chiang Mai to finish out my last year in the Magic Kingdom.

You should consider the same if you've never lived there before.  If you like hiking and mountain biking, it is actually a paradise that people come from all around the world to experience.  And that includes people in their retirement years!

Edited by WaveHunter

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

It was the same for me though I'm not retired.  At first I didn't understand it, but gradually I also felt that something wasn't quite right about Pattaya. 

Pattaya has been a horrible experience but that doesn't mean the country as a whole is the same.  Right or wrong, I get the impression most expats living in Pattaya are just waiting to die.  As harsh as that sounds, I never felt that way about Chiang Mai...ever!

It's true that the cost of living is slightly higher, but not really by that much, and it's true that the pollution in Chiang Mai is bad during the smoky season, but that last for only a couple of months, and all it takes is a ride up Doi Suthep (the mountain) to escape that, where the air is crystal clear and cool even on the most polluted and hottest days.

We all make mistakes.  As soon as my lease ends in September, I will return to Chiang Mai to finish out my last year in the Magic Kingdom.

You should consider the same if you've never lived there before.  If you like hiking and mountain biking, it is actually a paradise that people come from all around the world to experience.  And that includes people in their retirement years!

Where are you going when the year is up & how long have you been in Thailand?

Edited by JimTripper

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

The people I meet in Thailand are not working, studying or ambitious so it feels like a common ground of activities never appears, other then talking about where we are from or where we are going next.

But you aren't working, studying, or ambitious, so what would you have in common with those who are? Would you simply vegetate while you're listening to a recitation of work/study activities? Sounds pretty boring for both parties. What does someone else's activity and ambition have to do with you?

Expats are just vegetating, or if Thai, are in real menial uninteresting jobs. I wish Thailand was more normal with people working and striving for something, rather than expats just vegetating and drinking because they are retired or can’t get a work permit.

Seems you haven't bothered to look beyond the bars. You join the expats clubs? Blows your stereotype. Pattaya Sports Club? Cricket? Hash House Harriers? Several bicycle clubs, taking regular trips? Bridge (ha)? Where's your forum topic asking to meet people w/ your common interests, whatever they are.

True, nobody's interested in holding swap meets, lol. You could hit Collingbourne Auctions, though.

Sigh. No, Thais aren't all in menial jobs. Utter nonsense. Obviously, you've never visited a hospital. Pattaya has a large number of business owners, managers, and professionals.

One person's "interesting" job may not be another's. Since you yourself have no interesting job, or seem particularly interesting otherwise, it's not clear how you'd hold up your end of the relationship or even conversation.  How's your Thai? You got that MAJOR part of the culture all down? If you can speak basic Thai, some of the conversations you get into and the stories you hear can be pretty entertaining.

Amazing how people can live in Pattaya and not know much about the place. 

????Very few, if any, lie on the beach all day. You don't seem to know much about retired people. And most middle class expats, property owners, always have things to do. Home maintenance, hobbies, computer stuff, reading, keeping up with developments in various areas of interest, keeping in touch w/ friends, spending time w/ the family, going on trips here and there, even taking online courses. Friend of mine regularly goes to Bangkok for concerts, etc.

I always see retirees in the gym. You hittin' the gym regularly? Should be in great shape by now. Sounds like all you do is walk around the bar areas with a puckered sphincter--when you have the energy.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But you aren't working, studying, or ambitious, so what would you have in common with those who are? Would you simply vegetate while you're listening to a recitation of work/study activities? Sounds pretty boring for both parties. What does someone else's activity and ambition have to do with you?

Seems you haven't bothered to look beyond the bars. You join the expats clubs? Blows your stereotype. Pattaya Sports Club? Cricket? Hash House Harriers? Several bicycle clubs, taking regular trips? Bridge (ha)? Where's your forum topic asking to meet people w/ your common interests, whatever they are.

True, nobody's interested in holding swap meets, lol. You could hit Collingbourne Auctions, though.

Sigh. No, Thais aren't all in menial jobs. Utter nonsense. Obviously, you've never visited a hospital. Pattaya has a large number of business owners, managers, and professionals.

One person's "interesting" job may not be another's. Since you yourself have no interesting job, or seem particularly interesting otherwise, it's not clear how you'd hold up your end of the relationship or even conversation.  How's your Thai? You got that MAJOR part of the culture all down? If you can speak basic Thai, some of the conversations you get into and the stories you hear can be pretty entertaining.

Amazing how people can live in Pattaya and not know much about the place. 

????Very few, if any, lie on the beach all day. You don't seem to know much about retired people. And most middle class expats, property owners, always have things to do. Home maintenance, hobbies, computer stuff, reading, keeping up with developments in various areas of interest, keeping in touch w/ friends, spending time w/ the family, going on trips here and there, even taking online courses. Friend of mine regularly goes to Bangkok for concerts, etc.

I always see retirees in the gym. You hittin' the gym regularly? Should be in great shape by now. Sounds like all you do is walk around the bar areas with a puckered sphincter--when you have the energy.

Are you really doing all that though, or just talking about it and sitting in a bar?

• Confused 1

On 2/23/2023 at 9:52 PM, proton said:

Kev always used to make me laugh, don't know if the rumours about him were true but he died of cancer a year after doing a vlog about health insurance, that he never got. Shagwell mansions, only in a family resort like Patters ????

That was really sad. You could see him getting thinner and sicker over time. Here is his last video where he talks about it, almost turning 60 and getting sick.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Or living in CM and nothing better to do  than read a Pattaya Forum for excitement!

FYI I am living (sorry to say) in Pattaya right now, not CM, and I find the Pattaya forum about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Edited by WaveHunter

Kev was waiting to get health insurance until he turned exactly 60. I’m not sure why. Maybe he liked to gamble with things to get away with saving on the premiums or just did not really want to do it??

At any rate he could afford the treatments. More important things than money. Having great insurance would not have saved him from my understanding, but it may have enabled him to diagnose the problem earlier. When you’re not covered you don’t go in for those physicals as much. A good lesson on getting insurance since as you get older your going to need it eventually unless you just die suddenly.

Edited by JimTripper

39 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

FYI I am living (sorry to say) in Pattaya right now, not CM, and I find the Pattaya forum about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!????

Why would you choose to do that... having expressed nothing but disdain about the place and it's residents...of which you are one now.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!????

Why would you choose to do that... having expressed nothing but disdain about the place and it's residents...of which you are one now.  

Keeps pretending he's been held hostage, lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Are you really doing all that though, or just talking about it and sitting in a bar?

You really don’t have to do ALL that, now do you?

Try to focus. Concentrate. Answer the questions asked of you. You’re worried about yourself, not about me.

Here you’ve just discovered that you’ve been living in an alternate reality formed from a worm’s eye view of Pattaya. Your opinions were either nonsense or fantasies. And you’ve learned that ready solutions to your issues have always been at hand in Pattaya since you’ve been here. SHOCK! What a revelation. Get going, man.

Sitting in bars I’ve always thought a waste of time and money, not to mention unhealthy, so I never do that, with a couple of exceptions.

Once in a while, a couple of friends visit from Bangkok. After breakfast we typically sit in the Red Cat bar near Soi 9 and enjoy watching police catch idiot motorbike drivers. I have one Singha there. I stop in the TQ once every couple weeks, when I happen to be downtown, for a cool one, music, and visuals. After all these years, I know the staff pretty well. Happy?

In fact, I don’t know anyone who sits in bars except one alcoholic Ozzie living in my building. I may see him sitting in one as I drive by. He's one of those I call "Marked For Death," after the name of a magical shout in the game Skyrim.

Otherwise, yep, I walk the walk as noted above. Always have plenty to do among the activities I listed above. Learn something new and useful daily, may jot it down in the note-taking app always running on my desktop. The other day in the Twitter feed of one fitness guru I follow, @AJA_Cortes, I ran across

As a guy, a lot of your problems would go away if you stopped acting like a b*tch. Seb, why can’t I — bla bla

Just go do it bro, figure it out like everyone else did.

Surprising you and our resident professional Pattaya Hostage have preferred whining to figuring it out and acting. Low T, perhaps; vaccinated, though.

Seems an appropriate note to end on. I’ll be hittin' the gym today. Will implement a new tip I learned recently about a post-workout shake.

OH—the link for the Pattaya City Expats Club.  Presentations, events, activities, no barflies, middle class types, often with impressive backgrounds, who have things going on in their lives—just what you claim you want. I know one of the board members and am friends w/ a past board member. I sometimes attend a presentation, have attended events and enjoyed them.

So that’s a start for you. Lots more, as noted previously. Not good enough? Is the complexity of Pattaya really incomprehensible? The Villages is exactly what you want. No bar sitters, quality people, countless activities, organized, programs already figured out for you, everything at your doorstep, free pickups--and one of the sex capitals of the USA. What's not to like?

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You really don’t have to do ALL that, now do you?

Try to focus. Concentrate. Answer the questions asked of you. You’re worried about yourself, not about me.

Here you’ve just discovered that you’ve been living in an alternate reality formed from a worm’s eye view of Pattaya. Your opinions were either nonsense or fantasies. And you’ve learned that ready solutions to your solvable issues have always been at hand in Pattaya since you’ve been here. SHOCK! What a revelation. Get going, man.

Sitting in bars I’ve always thought a waste of time and money, not to mention unhealthy, so I never do that, with a couple of exceptions.

Once in a while, a couple of friends visit from Bangkok. After breakfast we typically sit in the Red Cat bar near Soi 9 and enjoy watching police catch idiot motorbike drivers. I have one Singha there. I stop in the TQ once every couple weeks, when I happen to be downtown, for a cool one, music, and visuals. After all these years, I know the staff pretty well. Happy?

In fact, I don’t know anyone who sits in bars except one alcoholic Ozzie living in my building. I may see him sitting in one as I drive by. He's one of those I call "Marked For Death," after the name of a magical shout in the game Skyrim.

Otherwise, yep, I walk the walk as noted above. Always have plenty to do among the activities I listed above. Learn something new and useful daily, may jot it down in the note-taking app always running on my desktop. The other day in the Twitter feed of one fitness guru I follow, @AJA_Cortes, I ran across

As a guy, a lot of your problems would go away if you stopped acting like a b*tch. Seb, why can’t I — bla bla

Just go do it bro, figure it out like everyone else did.

Surprising you and our resident professional Pattaya Hostage have preferred whining to figuring it out and acting. Low T, perhaps; vaccinated, though.

Seems an appropriate note to end on. I’ll be hittin' the gym today. Will implement a new tip I learned recently about a post-workout shake.

OH—the link for the Pattaya City Expats Club.  Events, activities, no barflies, middle class types, often with impressive backgrounds, who have things going on in their lives—just what you claim you want. I know one of the board members and am friends w/ a past board member. I sometimes attend a presentation, have attended events and enjoyed them.

So that’s a start for you. Lots more, as noted previously. Not good enough? Is the complexity of Pattaya really incomprehensible? The Villages is exactly what you want. No bar sitters, quality people, countless activities, organized, programs already figured out for you, everything at your doorstep, free pickups--and one of the sex capitals of the USA. What's not to like?

The Villages looks great, but it’s too expensive. I would need to buy a house there. Most are around $500k usd.

Edited by JimTripper

19 hours ago, JimTripper said:

My partner and I routinely do most of 'all that' on BigStar's list.   We go to the gym 3 times a week in the morning.  The other mornings we enjoy our pool before getting to our day.  He still works a freelance job so he attends to that and I assist when I can with the paperwork.   We socialize with friends and have his extended Bangkok family visit us when they have time.

We're in the process of buying a house being built by a developer so we've been involved quite a bit with that--tweaking the house design to our tastes, selecting tiles, wallpaper, drapes, cabinets, appliances, landscaping, etc.  It's been an interesting and, at times, challenging project--and still early days.   

We spend around 5 or 6 days in Bangkok each month--nice that it's nearby.  Like many other Pattaya expats, we like to travel and were in Europe in December and we likely will take several trips this year, now that travel has opened up. 

We both have our hobbies and interests.  I like to swim and read, partner has taken up badminton.  We both like the movies, the previously mentioned travel, and discovering new restaurants and interesting shops.  There's a wonderful, fun, and interesting large warehouse-type store on the Darkside filled with all sorts of stuff from Japan that you'd probably like if you ventured out a bit.

Sometimes when family visits we'll rent a boat and all go snorkeling.  As homeowners, there are always things to do with the house, improvements and changes to be made, and so on.  You may have noticed no mention of lying on the beach or hanging out in bars--nothing wrong with either but just not our thing.  I think there are many Pattaya expats like us, living a nice life here and pursuing the things that interest them.   Sorry you've missed running in to many of them.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1