Electric scooter explodes and almost burns down rental room

snoop1130

DF3F11EF-EE77-4D70-A161-9B9AAF3EEADF-696x391.jpeg

An electric scooter, which the owner had reportedly ridden past a flooded area, exploded and almost burned down a rental room in Chonburi.

A fire broke out in a rental room on Friday, July 29th, in the Nong Mai Daeng subdistrict of Muang District in Chonburi. The fire, which was extinguished within 15 minutes by firefighters, was caused by an exploded battery on an electric scooter, according to the firefighters. The room had suffered several damages, including the burnt ceiling, walls, personal objects, and a charcoaled scooter.

The scooter owner, Bancha Umphima, 43, stated that he was sleeping in his bedroom when a blast from the room where he kept his scooter shook his ears, followed by a fire and smoke.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/02/electric-scooter-reportedly-explodes-and-almost-burns-down-rental-room-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-08-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The only surprising fact from this article is the word "almost".

Lithium batteries can be very dangerous. And when they burn they burn. And water only makes it worse.

Not sure it was a lithium battery, as a lot, most of those style scooters are not.  And looks to be a rather large battery bay.  Not sure the other types would start a fire though, unless arced & sparked near something combustible.

Also if lithium battery, I doubt if those wires in one of the photos would have remained intact.  Lithium battery burns very hot.

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So he rode his scooter 'past/thru' water' ...

Can't fix stupid

Can't fix stupid designed vehicles.

Nice weather design for Thailand?

Does such a scooter have a high voltage battery (like the cars)?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lithium batteries can be very dangerous. And when they burn they burn. And water only makes it worse.

The batteries are the culprit. Not the scooter.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can't fix stupid designed vehicles.

Nice weather design for Thailand?

Does such a scooter have a high voltage battery (like the cars)?

Unless waterproof, a couple are, obviously not that one, then no, shouldn't be riding through water, or about 10cm of, so tires in water, not the rims.  Wouldn't advise that either, as would probably splash about, on the electronic.

Battery is probably only 36 or 48v...3 or 4 - 12v in series, or  lithium battery, which would probably be a bunch of 18650 or 21700s in series & parallel.

Photos in news-blip are a bit strange.  Well, not top one, as touched except tires & steel frame.  Middle one, who knows, but bottom one, show scooter intact with wire harness & battery bay.  Unless that's just a photo prior to, and why ?  During a modification ?  No reason to see wires & have battery bay open.

Obviously living in Thailand, you wouldn't want an e-scooter as your main transport, unless waterproof.  I've only driven mine, in the lightest drizzle, barely enough to get wet in.  Not really recommended, or even washing with a hose.  Washing is wiping down with damp cloth.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Not clear if this was lithium or not, but the number of fires caused by these things is concerning. Friend of mine in Korat had his eBike battery go up in flames. Luckily it was being charged in an outside storage area but he said the fumes were horrendous.

In London the London Fire Brigade are concerned about the growing numbers of eScooter and eBike fires.  I wouldn't charge one inside a house or condo...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-fire-brigade-escooter-ebike-battery-fires-lithiumion-batteries-b990942.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Couple more of any E-scooter stories, and we can expect a ban in condo & apt areas ... ????

So he rode his scooter 'past/thru' water' ...

Can't fix stupid

Probably used to riding a petrol scoot through water with no problem, as we all do.

It would be prudent for these bikes to have a big sticker on to avoid big problems....

"Avoid water at all costs"  

Skull4.png.d3930d34a835ba061c431b5a3147cd18.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually you can use water to put out lithium battery fire, BUT, you need a constant stream of, for quite some time, as they tend to flair back up.  Fire blanket being a better solution to contain it, till self extinguishes, maybe over a 10-20 minute period.  Used in combo would be even better, but not in an enclosed area, as fumes are toxic.

Don't park your scooter in the living room, areas.  A concrete garage without combustible, or outside in the shade, being a wiser choice.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Not clear if this was lithium or not, but the number of fires caused by these things is concerning. Friend of mine in Korat had his eBike battery go up in flames. Luckily it was being charged in an outside storage area but he said the fumes were horrendous.

In London the London Fire Brigade are concerned about the growing numbers of eScooter and eBike fires.  I wouldn't charge one inside a house or condo...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-fire-brigade-escooter-ebike-battery-fires-lithiumion-batteries-b990942.html

It's not only the battery that makes these scooter's dangerous but the lack of any sound. I have a friend that is recovering from a accident on one, they said they never heard her coming.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

It's not only the battery that makes these scooter's dangerous but the lack of any sound. I have a friend that is recovering from a accident on one, they said they never heard her coming.

Yes, that is a problem, though TBH, my MG ZS (ICE) is pretty darn quiet, when cruising slowly.  I really can't tell if engine running sometimes, as standing a few meters away, I've asked the wife a couple times, "car & AC is on right?", as we leave the dog in the car quite often when doing quick munch.

People just seem to not look when crossing the street & driving.  Not the EV's fault.  I've spooked a few myself on my scooter.

Since topic raised, when riding my ebike, I notice I rely on my ears also, and been spooked myself when something very quiet came up behind me when ready to change direction, and luckily looking to make sure, before doing.  For some reason, I don't seem to be as cautious on the ebike as the pedal bike.  Breaking myself of the habit, slowly.

I wonder how much fossil fuel was used to get/pump water to extinguish the fire? ????????

Of course on top of the fossil fuel to build the scooter and its factory, and charge it... and if it hadn't caught fire what to do with it when its life is over? I guess landfill.

• Like 1

Electric vehicle batteries are easily liable to explode or catch fire it is one of the major safety problems with electric vehicles. A battery can be damaged by a severe jolt (e.g. driving too quickly over a speed hump) but the effects of the damage will often not become apparent for weeks or even months. Electric vehicles are more liable to catch fire after an accident than fossil fueled vehicles and have been known to catch fire weeks afterwards due to battery damage. The battery on this scooter could have been damaged weeks ago the explosion and fire probably a result. Unfortunately the Thai lexicon does not seem to have the words maintenance and repair in it

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RobU said:

Electric vehicle batteries are easily liable to explode or catch fire it is one of the major safety problems with electric vehicles. A battery can be damaged by a severe jolt (e.g. driving too quickly over a speed hump) but the effects of the damage will often not become apparent for weeks or even months. Electric vehicles are more liable to catch fire after an accident than fossil fueled vehicles and have been known to catch fire weeks afterwards due to battery damage. The battery on this scooter could have been damaged weeks ago the explosion and fire probably a result. Unfortunately the Thai lexicon does not seem to have the words maintenance and repair in it

Yea, that's why they're in the news everyday exploding & catch fire ... ????

What oil stock do you own ... ????

Speed bumps ... seriously vs nail penetration ????

Edited by KhunLA

Batteries are stored energy. Release that energy incorrectly, result fire and explosion.

There's a ship called the Felicity Ace sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic after a fire broke out in its shipment of EV and non-EV luxury cars. My money would be on an EV as the cause.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Batteries are stored energy. Release that energy incorrectly, result fire and explosion.

There's a ship called the Felicity Ace sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic after a fire broke out in its shipment of EV and non-EV luxury cars. My money would be on an EV as the cause.

Or a bunch of other causes, joining all the other ships at the bottom of the sea, that sunk because of fires , and NO EVs on board.

Please stop the silliness, my ignore list is really getting long.

I'm thinking one of the crew had covid, and that's why it sank ... which of course would be Trump's fault.  Was the ship leaning right ... ????

Edited by KhunLA

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Or a bunch of other causes, joining all the other ships at the bottom of the sea, that sunk because of fires , and NO EVs on board.

Please stop the silliness, my ignore list is really getting long.

I'm thinking one of the crew had covid, and that's why it sank ... which of course would be Trump's fault.  Was the ship leaning right ... ????

You are quite welcome to put me on your ignore list. As if I care.

The silliness really is in EV owners pretending their vehicles are risk-free, and environmentally virtuous. The only thing EV's really have going for them is their much cheaper running costs compared to an ICE.

I suggest you Google Occam's Razor, then apply it to the Felicity Ace sinking.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 11:53 PM, KhunLA said:

Oh yea, Buddha forbid owners should actually operate the vehicles responsibly.

Irresponsible people are and always have been the problem.

Are you saying that people who ride their bikes through a puddle are riding irresponsibly? Really?  
  You don’t think electric bikes should be able to safely go through a puddle like a regular bike without bursting into flames or worse? 
Hmmm.  Interesting. 
 Yeah …blame the rider. I get it. 
        Well.. I think people forget where all the things come from that make the batteries.  Like the cobalt and other metals. How much of that material comes from mines in Africa or parts of Asia using child labor?  Or paying adult workers dirt wages? 
   And then they go plug it it to charge it,  the electricity is comig from…..Where exactly?  

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Catoni said:

And then they go plug it it to charge it,  the electricity is comig from…..Where exactly?    

Mine ... solar.  UP2U where you source your energy.

Unless buying a waterproof scooter, then NO, you don't drive it 'thru' water.

That falls under, uncommon common sense.

Edited by KhunLA