Painting rusting metal?

proton

Got roof with the insulation falling off. Estimates for covering it over or replacing have been ridiculous so thought I'd take the insulation off and paint it. Metal is a little rusty so wondering what the best way to go is, some sort of primer which acts on the rust, then what over that gloss?

IMG_20220802_140727 (2).jpg

They make rust neutralizing paint. Covers, neutralizes rust and seals the surface. You can leave that as your final surface or paint over it. Doesn't give you back any insulation value but can cover over the rust fairly effective.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Simple fix.

Rub surface with a wire brush or emery paper - lightly (seeing as you have very light surface rust) then paint with a 'Rust Converter' product. These products convert the rust -iron oxide into iron tannate.

This chemical reaction makes the area that was rusted permanently impervious to reconversion back to iron oxide. You simply paint straight over that converted area and bingo problem gone.

Some of the chemical converters are a one stop solution i.e. they are a paint in a range of colours but I have never used any of those types only the watery/milky looking types so I can't vouch for those.

As to the effectiveness of these 'rust converters' they work perfectly every time as long as you disturb/remove, with a wire brush or emery paper the dusty surface of the rust so the solution can penetrate.

For deeply pitted rust you must remove the flakey pitted areas down to the solid metal then apply the solution.

These newer products don't require washing off but act as a primer to receive paint straight over them. 

If anyones going to use mild steel anywhere in their homes (railings, beams, pillars. roof trusses are often commonly made of  non-galvanised steel and the paint on them form the factory is NOT rust proof).

It's a good idea to lay the steel out on some sleepers, wet them with a hose allow the surface to oxidise then paint with Rust converter solution, you can then paint this which will prevent the steelworks from rusting.

Thanks for that, very informative

I used these two products from Lazada on a badly rusted driveway gate. Used a wire brush to get the loose rust off then painted on the rust treatment and finished off with one coat of the paint. Nearly three years later and it still looks ok. Tried the paint on a section of rusted railings without wire brushing or rust treatment and that now has a bit of rust coming through.

20220808_080209.jpg

Edited by alanrchase
Missing word
  • Like 1

Silver gloss paint is what Thai builders use on galvanised no etching required, other than that Red (lead) primer stops rust dead in aerosols or tins, have used both on various jobs.

Just had a closer look at photo both of the paints i suggested will work, as its not structural, no need for 'fancy' paints IMO.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 7:30 AM, stubuzz said:

I have just used this stuff.

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1165859

It is almost impossible to use with a brush as it dries too quickly. It is best used withy a spray gun.

Paint-roller works just as good at minimal cost, and no streaks.

This sub-forum is a treasure trove for all things 'house'.

If I could do it all again, it'd be a different house in a different location with different materials....dooh.

Still mentally recovering from a mid-level refurb in UK last few years - financially mentally and physically as I had to dig in on half the stuff due to cost constraints.....but I digress.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, freedomnow said:

If I could do it all again, 

If I could do it all again.

I would, keep all my money in the bank.

Carry on Short term higher agreements , 3 or 4  a week.

Never get into a serious relation ship.

Oh well, I failed on all points. :stoner:

• 11 months later...
9 hours ago, Umlungu said:

The fumes whilst painting the Maxzo 2in 1 product are horrendous. I needed to literally walk away every 5 mins, which makes the painting that more difficult because, as someone pointed out, the paint is fast drying.

That is a perfect reason and advertisement for organic filter cartridges in a proper 3M filter mask. I have used them and when working with AAA thinner I can tolerate spraying hours with them but only a minute or two without them.

IMG_6476.jpeg.4fa1164234545d6393a71405f55a06a9.jpeg
these are the masks, easily available in Thailand.