Growatt SPF5000ES Offgrid 9kw DIY Solar Project

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I think I mentioned that my panels are well past their prime and three are now flawed so their output is suspect. 

Yet I also still get power back into batteries by lunchtime.

That would probably take a lot longer and indeed used to until I changed the batteries the old ones being knackered.

The new batteries are, as I mentioned, lead carbon and one if their attributes is very good charge acceptance which means they will take everything I can give them even though what I give them could be a lot better.

Cleaning the panels looks good but the improvements in performance are really only noticeable before and after midday when the sun is anything but perpendicular to the panels.

That looks a very good bit of kit. Do you also have an oblong bucket? 

Yes I have one of those large oval black ones used when building so it will be fine for this. I was not sold as a set but i picked the items i wanted. I payed just over 1kthb delivered.

Pink

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So at this time in getting 4000 Watt level as max, the he time I installed my max level was 7000 watt. This time of the year my one roof side perform better because of the sun position and im just able to get needed power per day so I might after a years experience with all seasons should consider some more panels. I do plan a cleaning pf panels very soon but lets see how much that will improve. I noticed i produce about same in light cloudy weather as in full sunny weather.

Pink

• 2 weeks later...

As mention in last post last weeks i was starting to get lower watt level than what im used to. First i thought it was the moment of the sun..then last day i was sure it was quite sure it was a matter of cleaning. But after cleaning still same. Than this morning we found out them my one side of panels have a broken connector so that side is 50% with only 7 of the 14 active. From photo look like the connector is damages and we see some black on the steel frame on the roof. Any idea how this could have happen?

Now i make a plan to take down the one panel who block the access to the panel with issue then replace the connectors and test the panel with watt/amp meter.

Pink

probconnector.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Local wildlife maybe??

Or just crappy MC-4 connectors.

Yes I was thinking same. I will pull down the 2 affected panels and replace connectors and test them. Hopefully panels still ok. When close up photo i see black on the steel so look like some electrical shock pulled the connector apart and broke it.

Pink

1 minute ago, Pink7 said:

Yes I was thinking same. I will pull down the 2 affected panels and replace connectors and test them. Hopefully panels still ok. When close up photo i see black on the steel so look like some electrical shock pulled the connector apart and broke it.

Possibly a bad connection/connector been fizzing for a while and finally failed.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Possibly a bad connection/connector been fizzing for a while and finally failed.

Now I feel it strange i not discovered it before, maybe if it was in front side roof i have seen it before. The good part of this is that I found the reason why I am on low power and it should be fixable.

Pink

• Like 2

A while back one of our arrays of DIY solar flood-lights stopped being able to last all night.

The battery pack simply didn't have the oomph.

Charging the pack with an actual charger "fixed" the issue for a week or so.

The (simple and cheap) charge controller said all was fine and the pack was charging when the sun was awake.

It was only when I actually started investigating that I found that the charge current was in fact, minimal (but not zero).

The issue was traced to a bad connection inside the junction box on the back of the 100W solar panel which had evidently been fizzing away for a while.

I did a thread IIRC.

• Thumbs Up 1

When you mate (nice wording) those MC4 connectors, be sure to fully push them completely together.

I had one fail due to that.

The 'O' ring inside was letting moisture in and as a result, the copper wire went a bit green before it parted.

It felt like it was well assembled and it conducted electricery just fine, but it needed that extra shove to complete the seal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@Muhendis do you think there's any mileage in adding a smear of a silicone-based grease to the O-ring before mating??

It's cheap enough so why not?

It will possibly prolong the life of the 'O' ring although, with the exception of the one mentioned, mine have been good for the last 11 years without silicone grease.

• Like 1

Yesterday afternoon I pulled down the one panel and replaced one connector on each on the two pannels and mounted it all back and connected the wires. This morning i first tested the voltage on the breaker before open it to power the inverter. Now i see power is same or better than the other side of the roof so the fix look to be successfully as for now.

Pink

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Any indication what cause the failure?

I guess its what you mention last day: bad connection between the 2 panels. The 2 connectors was melted and no other damages to see.

Pink

7 hours ago, Pink7 said:

I guess its what you mention last day: bad connection between the 2 panels. The 2 connectors was melted and no other damages to see.

Yeah, that was the actual failure, but what triggered it, bad crimp, damp, just not quite plugged?

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, that was the actual failure, but what triggered it, bad crimp, damp, just not quite plugged?

Pink7 mentioned the two connectors were melted.

My understanding of melted connectors, limited though it is, leads me to think it may have got a bit hot.

Resistive connections do things like that. Sometimes they fuse and sometimes they don't.

In the case of a connector it could be the crimp not firm enough. 

I believe this is a fairly recent instal so I would have a look at the calibration certificate of the crimper  :whistling:

Here are a couple of pictures of a resistive connection within a solar panel.

First the rear view then the front

PICT0013.JPG

PICT0007.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Not easy to say but could be it happened around time we got some cleaning done with hose but I dont know whats the chance for any water to have made the issue. Im quite sure it was not matter of not plugged. Both connectors were original connectors on the solar panels so I would expect they to be well crimped..but I guess fails happens.

Pink

5 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Not easy to say but could be it happened around time we got some cleaning done with hose but I dont know whats the chance for any water to have made the issue. Im quite sure it was not matter of not plugged. Both connectors were original connectors on the solar panels so I would expect they to be well crimped..but I guess fails happens.

Pink

I guess this is panel to panel connections.

Warranty?

Edited by Muhendis

• 2 months later...

I need  a way to fasten my pvc wire storage racks for the wires between inverters. breaking boxes etc. My wall is rock hard so i have give up drilling for the pvc racks. Any suggestions for gluing it? hotglue? superglue? silicone?

Pink

bbb6b.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

I need  a way to fasten my pvc wire storage racks for the wires between inverters. breaking boxes etc. My wall is rock hard so i have give up drilling for the pvc racks. Any suggestions for gluing it? hotglue? superglue? silicone?

Pink

bbb6b.jpg

Suggest 'No More Nails'

NMN.jpg

• Thanks 1