Mountain B fire: Full extent of tragedy hits home in horrific story of Vietnamese lady "Nong Kim"

webfact

1 hour ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Beautifully done by Bangkok hospital... A really humane way to deal with this tragedy. I find this absolutely disgusting. Because of the nature of the incident and how it has affected the country, any hospital should have rushed to offer free/reduced treatments for the victims. Would have costed a bit but that would bring them much better returns in the long term in term of reputation and image.

And only 10k so far from the owner of the pub... What a joke especially since his lawyer his praising him for being such an upstanding young man..

The whole story is sickening honestly.

Edit: I realize she is Vietnamese, but again that will not help with Thailand's international image at all. It shows foreigners are just second class liabilities.

Most countries don't have free health care. And that's for their own citizens fewer still have free treatment for foreign nationals.  If she was in the US the treatment would have been the same. Show proof of insurance or pay an upfront deposit.

Edited by starky
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Doesn't this all come down in the end to public liability insurance? If companies and business premises were forced to have adequate cover then this kind of sad story would be much rarer. But the very idea that a company or, Buddha forfend, a branch of the government, might actually be held responsible for tragedies that they directly or indirectly play a part in is still taboo here. I've got 1.5 million Baht of liability insurance on my house just in case someone who comes here or is doing a job here gets hurt, and it costs peanuts. Come on Thailand, you can do better than this.

No insurance would accept liability for that - not one health and safety check or fire procedure in place.

And it's not only Thailand. In the UK there was Grenfell ... with dozens of high rises there still using the same cladding that caused that tragedy even now.

And in the US something similar happened in California a few years ago I think, where a warehouse or art gallery or something had been converted into a raver club - also a massive death toll.

Thailand has many faults but this kind of thing is not specifically Thai.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, starky said:

Most countries don't have free health care. And that's for their own citizens fewer still have free treatment for foreign nationals.  If she was in the US the treatment would have been the same. Show proof of insurance or pay an upfront deposit.

As we all know the local attitudes to medical cover is widely different per country.

In Australia most people visiting the country (most types of visas) have access/cover from the Australian social health care plan 'MEDICARE'. 

I was back in Australia for a couple of years. My Thai granddaughter (16, speaks very advanced English) was initially accepted to receive a 6 months scholarship to study in a normal Oz local high school and take part in their swimming coaching activity. 

I called MEDICARE, gave them the details and asked 'would she be covered fully under Oz  MEDICARE benefits, same as a local resident OZ citizen?

Quick answer 'Yes, fully covered, but make sure she is registered very quickly on arrival at a local Centrelink/Medicare office, or you can probably complete this by phone, just depends on whether they want to see her to prove her identity (prove she exists).

(Ultimately if was all canclled. Her Thai Matayom school wasn't happy and made noises about reducing her overall grades. Her father immediately withdrew her application for the Oz opportunity.)

4 minutes ago, wombat said:

Isn't this about where the owners of the place jump in and say they will cover everyone's medical bills.

They did have insurance...didn't they?

Doubtful. And any reasonable insurance company would fight tooth and claw against that claim. The building wasn't licensed for what it was being used as. Would invalidate any policy even if everything else was OK.

2 hours ago, petermik said:

It has always been this way...they take our money but care little after that.

So in your home country people get free treatment in the hospitals. You come from the Paradise ?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Around 4 million, 72 dead. GBP55k a head. At UK prices. And they are still haggling despite the executives having pocketed millions in dividends.  And dozens of buildings still sporting the self-same cladding 'cos in the end not enough care there either.

Don't get me wrong. I think both are disgraceful and I agree with Smedley - this is down to regulators not doing what they're paid for, for whatever reason.

Not 4 million, the case is still being pursued. Totals are not known as no settlement yet, but will be in the 10's of millions.  But that is irrelevant how many 10's of million it will be settled for,  this is Thailand and it will be a pittance no doubt

Edited by Excel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Excel said:

Not 4 million, the case is still being pursued. Totals are not known as no settlement yet, but will be in the 10's of millions.

So 100k - 200k? Don't spend it all at once guys - especially on all the costs you've had since then that you had to borrow for.

Let's see. But years later survivors have still not seen any worthwhile compensation whilst those at fault haggle relentlessly.

I maintain this is not Thai specific. It's about epic regulatory failure before and after. Happens everywhere.