Trump under investigation for potential violations of Espionage Act

Scott

31 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Ain't gonna happen, they have it covered already. 

If something goes awry they blame the vermin that surround him.  Kellyanne leads the charge on that one with the book she put out a few months ago: he is the victim (but of course!) and the negative stuff is the fault of the bottom feeders attracted to him.

Myself, I can't get over how in his very first polling, a few days after the Day of the Descending Escalator, he was at app. 35% and has not gone below that since.  Consider the magic his announcement worked the moment he went from reality show buffoon to candidate.  In the future poli-sci students are going to continuously dissect that speech in search of clues.

Black swan.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

35 pages and there are still people who think Trump is innocent.

I really wander what must happen before his diehard supporters admit that he did something seriously wrong, and he should be prosecuted.

I.e. if the documents would include details of current nuclear weapons, would that be important enough to prosecute him? Or was it still just a little mistake with all those papers? 

What must he do before many of his supporters wake up? 

They will not ‘wake up’, they are attached emotionally and psychologically.

Each newly exposed Trump outrage is a reason to double down.

Trump himself said it best, ‘I could shoot someone on fifth Avenue and not lose support’.

He meant it.

The investigation continues, tge extent of the damage to IS security had not even been addressed yet, when it is addressed his supporters will be in lock step with him regardless of whatever it is he has done.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

If the only evidence there is is that someone says so, then that's not valid evidence at all. That's why such decisions by the President have to be memorialized.

Did you read that many layered entire link? Because it is more complicated than 'someone says so'. At this point unless there is something very concrete/specific showing something illegal like transferring sensitive material to the Saudis In a quid pro quo exchange with his son in law, Jared who received a "loan" from Saudi  Arabia - then this episode is going nowhere.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I really wander what must happen before his diehard supporters admit that he did something seriously wrong, and he should be prosecuted.

I.e. if the documents would include details of current nuclear weapons, would that be important enough to prosecute him? Or was it still just a little mistake with all those papers? 

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

I have personal experience working with classified, personal knowledge of how many important files are stored, and a typical amount of experience with cardboard boxes.  They're very widely used for storing documents.  Since your post seem to suggest that something was amiss because documents were kept in cardboard boxes, I can assure you that it is a common practice.

Do you have evidence or experience that indicates that classified documents are not stored in cardboard boxes?

But you don't know how they're stored at the White House. My point was it seems according to some that these docs were worth billions. If Trump was intent on taking TS docs and the inventory shows what a handful of docs were TS why was it necessary for Trump so take many boxes. Does that mean TS docs are kept with Confidential classified papers. Another words why aren't these TS papers kept together. 

You can keep Trump I could care less, but the sloppiness of White House security is in question.

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I take everything in Russian media with a huge grain of salt, and I don't take the following as literally true.  Still, it is kind of funny:

"In the most recent broadcast of the state TV show Sunday Evening With Vladimir Solovyov, host Vladimir Solovyov remarked: “I’m very worried for our agent Trump. They found everything at Mar-a-Lago, they got packages of documents. In all seriousness, they say he should be executed as a person that was ready to hand off nuclear secrets to Russia.”"   https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-world-declares-agent-trump-211215321.html

Later in the article it states that "Russian state media is stressing the need to influence Americans in the run-up to the midterms and the future presidential election."  It's very clear that Russia wants Trump back in the White House and will do whatever it can to make that happen.  It mentions Tucker Carlson and Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard as useful to that end.

Key point; Russia has, is, and will continue to interfere in US elections, and does so to help Donald Trump.  That doesn't mean Trump is colluding with Russia, but it does make me wonder how many of the pro-Trump posters are either Russian trolls or, more likely, useful idiots fed information by Russian trolls.

From the point view of someone who lived through 40 years of the Cold War, reading this is a clash sensibilities, like an alternate reality version of the time.  Russian (Soviet yes, but most Americans didn't say that) sympathizers in US Congress?  They'd have been skinned alive on the Senate floor!  And definitely bipartisan, there was still that WWII fighting spirit in pols.  It was supposed to be the commie-liberals antiwar bunch who were the traitors.  People on Russian tv referring to a former US president as an 'agent'?  You would be hearing the term "firing squad" pretty frequently. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think they think Trump is innocent. They just don't care. Whether it's his persona or lack of personal correctness a certain segment of American society just like him and don't care what bad things he does. Their excuses for his actions are a form of trolling the rest of us. There is a antiestablishment way of looking at things that they have. A lot of American folk heroes were some of the most despicable  characters around. Bonnie and Clyde, Pretty Boy Floyd, Charles Lindbergh,  The James Gang, Billy the Kid, Wyatt E  and the like were terrible people but much beloved  by some people. Best to ignore them and let the good guys do what the law requires 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Russian (Soviet yes, but most Americans didn't say that) sympathizers in US Congress?  They'd have been skinned alive on the Senate floor!

If they would be openly pro Russia and anti America then what you write is obviously correct.

But there are often many arguments pro and contra certain politics.

I.e. a senator wouldn't say: Reduce the weapons because Putin is such a nice guy. But he/she might say: We don't need more weapons. We could spend that money to save the trees or whatever. The result would be the same for Russia. Fewer weapons. And this is of course just one example of many possible scenarios. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In principle I like that idea.

But somehow it is difficult to ignore about 70 million people - many of them with guns.

I live 60 miles north of the country line and never cross it for that very reason

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

They will not ‘wake up’, they are attached emotionally and psychologically.

Each newly exposed Trump outrage is a reason to double down.

Trump himself said it best, ‘I could shoot someone on fifth Avenue and not lose support’.

He meant it.

The investigation continues, tge extent of the damage to IS security had not even been addressed yet, when it is addressed his supporters will be in lock step with him regardless of whatever it is he has done.

Oops, typed my post before I saw yours with the 5th Avenue quote.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

Did you read that many layered entire link? Because it is more complicated than 'someone says so'. At this point unless there is something very concrete/specific showing something illegal like transferring sensitive material to the Saudis In a quid pro quo exchange with his son in law, Jared who received a "loan" from Saudi  Arabia - then this episode is going nowhere.

Ergo, why the investigation is still on-going, only fools believe there is nothing to see and if they had true evidence they would charge him now........all in time, all in time.

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

But you don't know how they're stored at the White House. My point was it seems according to some that these docs were worth billions. If Trump was intent on taking TS docs and the inventory shows what a handful of docs were TS why was it necessary for Trump so take many boxes. Does that mean TS docs are kept with Confidential classified papers. Another words why aren't these TS papers kept together. 

You can keep Trump I could care less, but the sloppiness of White House security is in question.

You could keep guessing all day and night and still not get it right.

None of us know anything about document security at the White House during Trump’s administration, we do know that he removed TC/SCI documents to Mar-a-Largo.

If you find anything certain on sloppy document security at the White House under Trump’s administration, so let us know, I for one would love to hear it.

Cats may have 9 lives but I doubt he can wriggle out unscathed facing a total of 19 legal perils in which half are improper conduct during his Presidency. This 19 legal perils not even include his current legal exposure following the search warrant. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2022/feb/07/donald-trump-list-legal-cases

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Maybe you need to try being civil rather than snarky.

Forum Rules

Use of ASEAN NOW Forums and Social Media  

Our Forum Rules and Standards of Conduct can be summarized as Be Nice, Be Respectful. We encourage all members to be nice to each other, to help each other and to enjoy the forum and its content.