Monthly money Visa extension-have the rules change

Today I made my application for my retirement visa extension.  My local immigration office is at Jomtien.

This years application was identical to last years.

They were happy about the information that was provided by the bank which I use.

They were happy about everything except this time they wanted to see my wife's I.D. card.

This was because I bring my money into  a joint bank  account  i.e. my wife and I

I  successfully used this same joint account last year. No request  to view  any I.D. card.

I asked if there has been a change to the rules.

They simply repeated their demand to view my wife's I.D. card.

So my Q is -have the rules changed over the past 12 months?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TuanLindsay said:

I was under the impression that the 800K had to be in my sole name name. I keep it in an SCB savings account. Can I add my wife's name as signatory? Confused.

Correct, i think the OP must be using the 65K monthly income method.

11 hours ago, Delight said:

They were happy about everything except this time they wanted to see my wife's I.D. card.

I have had to comply with this requirement every year since 2008, in fact we have to supply them with wifey's blue house book as well together with copies !!!

The mind boggles.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Delight said:

This was because I bring my money into  a joint bank  account  i.e. my wife and I

About 10/12 years ago (can't check when as he has since passed away) my American friend was using a joint account with his wife for both their US pensions. He was told by Immigration (Phitsanulok I think) that the account must be single name only, using joint accounts for retirement was not allowed, I have been told the same by Immigration, even though my account is single name and always has been even when I was on marriage extensions.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TuanLindsay said:

I was under the impression that the 800K had to be in my sole name name. I keep it in an SCB savings account. Can I add my wife's name as signatory? Confused.

You can add your wife's signature to the account, but her name

won't appear on the book , she signs the part of the book where

the signatures go, next to yours, Immigration would need UV light

to see her signature , so it looks like sole account.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been no changes to the rules.

I suspect they just want to know more about the person you have the joint account with.

Can you think of a reason why they would want this info.?

1 hour ago, TuanLindsay said:

If you use the 800K method best to have it in your sole name to make sure it stays there and you have control over it.

65K per month could be transferred into a joint account as you need access to it along with your partner.

1 hour ago, Delight said:

That is correct -monthly money

Surprised Jomtien ever let you get away with this? Quite clear they expect monthly FTTs into an account in your name only. If you subsequently transfer regularly to another joint account they don't seem to mind. Or make an arrangement with your bank for your wife to make withdrawals from your sole account which wouldn't appear on your bank book either. Just don't withdraw the value of the FTT immediately after the deposit. That might look a bit suspicious. They like to see your bank declaring an inward Foreign Telegraphic Transfer into your account on roughly the same day each month.

The exception being of course that annually your Embassy provides an income letter based on evidence you provide. Easy for Immigration and their customer s. Most can do this but a v few seem unable to perform this simple service.