New Entry Requirements.

After living in BKK for 5 yrs with a retirement Visa, I left to return to the USA and my daughters wedding.  I am currently 72 and will return on a 60-day tourist Visa Dec. 1st.

I will then apply for my retirement Visa through ThaiVisa.  My last year with LMG Insurance, was at a cost of 240,000 BHT as I've had serious back surgeries. Using the services of ThaiVisa, I do NOT have to prove health insurance to immigration, as ThaiVisa has that as part of their deal.  I NEVER have to go to immigration again, including 90-day reports.  They handle everything immigration related for ex-pats. (see costs below)

Using ThaiVisa, they will then convert to 3 month non immigrant O (20,000 THB),  then apply 1 yr. extension (14,000 THB).  total 15 months 34,000 bht. , The following years will be 14,000 THB for yearly retirement extension. 

Does this sound about correct?  

14 minutes ago, Makoshark said:

Does this sound about correct?  

Yes.

Added note. The insurance shouldn't be part of your thinking.

It is not required for your non O or extensions 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes.

Added note. The insurance shouldn't be part of your thinking.

It is not required for your non O or extensions 

But insurance could be required in the event of accident or illness.

Just now, proton said:

why pay 14k a year for an extension when the actual price is 1900 hundred baht? 

Perhaps they can't meet the financial requirements so by using an agent, the agent "resolves such issues" directly with the IO.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, proton said:

I think somebody paying 240k a year for health care can meet the requirements, people who cannot should not be here.

That logic fails me. For retirement extension you need 800 k. If you have to, or willing to spend 240k on insurance that is possibly a hefty chunk out of your available cash assets. Or is it your mindset that somebody who has to pay, or needs to pay 240 k for insurance are entitled to stay in Thailand and those that can not afford that sum, or have no wish to, are not entitled to stay in Thailand ?

Edited by Excel
  • Confused 1

Sounds like an OK deal to me. A bit hefty for the first year but 14K per year after that, and they take care everything, including your 90-days reports, that seems pretty good. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I self-insure, i see no point to paying out huge sums at my age to an insurance company who will be doing their best to weasel out of any obligations it incurs.

Yet another self-righteous poster with Procrustean ideas.

By 'self insure' I take it you mean you will pay for any medical/health incidents yourself. What if the costs are more than you have?

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I have plenty of money, but I'm not willing to pay 240k BHT. I will get insurance that satisfies any Visa requirements.   Probably around 500,00- 1mm.   I would never live in BKK w/o some coverage.

Thanks again Dr. Jack & The Pope, Ubon Joe ! ! ! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I self-insure, i see no point to paying out huge sums at my age to an insurance company who will be doing their best to weasel out of any obligations it incurs.

Sure, if you have 10+ million in your bank account that's no problem, but many people here struggle even having 800k in their bank account, so in their case insurance makes sense.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have 500K set aside for medical emergencies. I also have assets in Australia I can liquidate with a click of a mouse. And the option of going back to Australia for free private health care.

Try going back to Australia when you are in the ICU in a private hospital (maybe somebody found you unconscious and decided to take you there), where they charge you 100k per night. Your 500k lasts 5 days, not even including any special surgeries or whatever might be required.

For a broken leg you could of course self insure, but insurance is for worst case scenarios, which can cost you a few millions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Sure, if you have 10+ million in your bank account that's no problem, but many people here struggle even having 800k in their bank account, so in their case insurance makes sense.

Even more worrying are some of the 'border bouncers' who can't even get 20,000 baht together in case they might have to show it. What chance have they got in the case of serious accident or illness?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

the ICU in a private hospital (maybe somebody found you unconscious and decided to take you there), where they charge you 100k per night.

Obviously that charge would be for major treatment and ICU as ICU itself is only about 25% of that price at highest tier hospitals.

ICU / CCU    9,370    13,020    THB 22,390 (USD 631)

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/services-and-facilities/inpatient-accommodation/intensive-care

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yet another self-righteous poster with Procrustean ideas.

I had an accident two years ago requiring seven orthopedic operations, the insurance company paid the hospital directly without question, as they have done when my daughter required inpatient care.

No weasel action by this company.

28 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I had an accident two years ago requiring seven orthopedic operations, the insurance company paid the hospital directly without question, as they have done when my daughter required inpatient care.

A statistical sample of one or two proves nothing.

Explain to me why insurance companies have entire departments that process claims, with the performance bonuses going to the employees that can deny the most claims.

32 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

an accident is not a pre-existing condition ????

• Like 1