Bangkok Entry -$$$................................

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

From internet: 

Any person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD20,000 or its equivalent out of or into Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer.

OP, be aware that if planning to exchange at say Super rich green you will find Wise transfer is better.

I would be happy for you to screenshot examples of online transfer being less then a cash transaction...thanks

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, markeewan said:

I would be happy for you to screenshot examples of online transfer being less then a cash transaction...thanks

I stated transfer (eg using Wise) is better than bringing in cash and using money exchange company eg SuperRich green.

I just checked it for 10k. Wise was better. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

From internet: 

Any person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD20,000 or its equivalent out of or into Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer.

OP, be aware that if planning to exchange at say Super rich green you will find Wise transfer is better.

That declaration limit is not correct, though several seemingly  knowledgeable websites still give that.

The maximum amount before you are required to declare is $15,000.

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand Thai baht bank notes, foreign currency bank notes or negotiable monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding 450,000 Baht or USD 15,000 or its equivalent must make a declaration to a customs officer.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialMarkets/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/default.aspx

As to the best exchange rate for large “large denomination” exchanges SuperRich Green HQ branch still has a slight edge, but only if you have a need to be in the area and don’t mind carrying large numbers of bank notes. The extra you get is very small at around ฿2,000 extra for about ฿1 million so if you have to travel it will be wiped out, I am not sure how the new Wise charges will effect this calculation.

11 hours ago, Makoshark said:

I have been using a money changer on Charoenkrung Road for years.  Rates are hundred % better than Super Rich or any bank.  

I have availed myself of the unofficial moneychangers myself in the past. They are associated with the Chinese run underground banking system that bypasses exchange controls and money laundering checks. They only want high denomination notes of major currencies. You are correct that they can provide the best exchange rates, but I do worry a little bit about the legality.