Manager arrested for multiple offences after human trafficking police raid downtown Khon Kaen pub

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: No licence

Thailand's chief of the human trafficking police (ATPD) Pol Maj-Gen Wiwat Khamchamnan sent in his men and the Muang Khon Kaen police to arrest the manager of "Vachira - Juatttt" pub in downtown Khon Kaen.

The pub in Soi Namila was opening to 3.30 am and serving minors and did not even have a licence.

Arrested was 32 year old Somboon Sukanusat who was charged with multiple violations after the raid in the early hours of Sunday morning.

When the cops arrived they found 150 people partying into the middle of the night and no checks had been made on the age of patrons.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Seven were aged between 18 and under 20 and the rest were as young as 15.

Daily News reported that the doors would be closed at midnight to put police off the scent. 

Police threw the book at Somboon charging him with operating without a licence, operating out of hours, not checking ages of patrons and serving alcohol to minors, to name but four. 

The name of the pub is an approximation from the Thai script, notes ASEAN NOW. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Daily News reported that the doors would be closed at midnight to put police off the scent. 

Mmm. Good memories of Soi 22 Queen's Park Plaza, when the mamasan would draw the curtains and turn down the lights, to keep the party going.

I also was once in this Sukhumvit pub. A beautiful lady was sitting at the bar alone, playing on her phone. You know the type. It's a regular pub and not a girly bar, but there's occasionally one resident lady they have made available, should any of the patrons desire company.

I stayed until closing watching football, and gradually the crowd cleared out. Then it was just me and her there alone. We looked at each other and smiled. Poor thing, waiting there all night with no takers. If I wasn't already married... The manager then began closing the roll down gate, and asked for my last order.

Just then, creeping under the gate.... OI! OI! OI! What looked like a whole rugby team strutted in, about a dozen guys, all kitted out in sport gear. The lady had been wearing a trench coat, and then she took it off. Ooo hoo, nothing but a lingerie teddy under there. I suppose the team had her booked. The manager then closed the front gate completely, and told me to go out the back. Looked like they had quite the match lined up. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay.

• Haha 1

But not long ago,  the US upgraded them to tier 2 watch list,  555

US upgrades Thailand to Tier 2 in human trafficking report, but…

However, Thailand still has a long way to go, according to the report.

However, Thailand “does not fully meet the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking…”

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/us-upgrades-thailand-to-tier-2-in-human-trafficking-report-but

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Police threw the book at Somboon charging him with operating without a licence, operating out of hours, not checking ages of patrons and serving alcohol to minors, to name but four.

Another illegal establishment...

Every governor of every province should be held accountable for allowing this to continue.

They should be given one month to check every venue, licences and safety, if not up to date close it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2022 at 11:00 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Thai parents. They are not parents in the Western sense, and have kids as an insurance policy so they can be taken care of in old age. They have little interest in raising them in a responsible way, and often don't at all as they are passed on to aged and incapable grandparents to do the job. We are taking care of a nephew after his mother went off to live in Hungary, and a sister-in-law is raising another while his parents work elsewhere.

Yes, it's all a bit of chore having the misfortune of being born in a nation that doesn't have a sophisticated social security safety net. I mean just look at the UK, especially in the cities where their 15 year-olds run about at all hours, stabbing people and nicking Corsa's? So, so much better than fobbing their spawn off on granny up in Kendal or an auntie over in Exeter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Every governor of every province should be held accountable for allowing this to continue.

They should be given one month to check every venue, licences and safety, if not up to date close it.

This being Thailand, that will be one month for the authorities to secure all the extra payments needed for these illegal businesses to carry on operating as normal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, it's all a bit of chore having the misfortune of being born in a nation that doesn't have a sophisticated social security safety net.

Yes. and why doesn't it? The government coffers are overflowing with hundreds of billions of dollars of foreign exchange funds. And what is it doing with it? 220 billion as of the 11th of this month. 

Screenshot 2022-08-23 183848.jpg

12 hours ago, hotchilli said:

There is no accountable ever, where there is money to be made.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 12:39 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. and why doesn't it? The government coffers are overflowing with hundreds of billions of dollars of foreign exchange funds. And what is it doing with it? 220 billion as of the 11th of this month. 

Screenshot 2022-08-23 183848.jpg

You actually keep tabs on that stuff? Are you some sort of closet (farang) activist for radical social change in Thailand or what? I mean if it's not for the temples or the totty, is that all that's left?

On 8/23/2022 at 1:09 PM, KIngsofisaan said:
On 8/22/2022 at 9:26 AM, Tarteso said:

What kind of parents leaves their 15-year-old child free at 3 am?

Thai Parents!

Once again, there's plenty of juvenile delinquents wrought from broken family units created by discriminatory government policies and deeply ingrained cultural biases all over the world. In the grand scheme of things, Thailand just is not all that special or unique.

28 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You actually keep tabs on that stuff? Are you some sort of closet (farang) activist for radical social change in Thailand or what? I mean if it's not for the temples or the totty, is that all that's left?

Just responding to your post about Thailand having no social care system when it has the money to have one if the politicians actually cared about its people.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

On 8/23/2022 at 7:10 AM, hotchilli said:

I disagree with you on that. It is the responsibility of the RTP and not that of the governor. What should happen, but won't, is that the most senior police officer in the district should be removed from his post without ANY pay or allowances, and his deputy given his post. The deputy would be given 2 weeks to sort it out before he is also removed from post and so on.

It IS their job and they are not doing it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I disagree with you on that. It is the responsibility of the RTP and not that of the governor. What should happen, but won't, is that the most senior police officer in the district should be removed from his post without ANY pay or allowances, and his deputy given his post. The deputy would be given 2 weeks to sort it out before he is also removed from post and so on.

It IS their job and they are not doing it.

I agree totally.. plus

This also applies to the governor...

If the RTP aren't doing their job he steps in to remove the senior police officer and do as you say, award the position to the next rank and give him a time frame to sort it out, so on and so forth.

If he doesn't the governor is removed and replaced with the next man, with a similar time frame to clean up the province.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I agree totally.. plus

This also applies to the governor...

If the RTP aren't doing their job he steps in to remove the senior police officer and do as you say, award the position to the next rank and give him a time frame to sort it out, so on and so forth.

If he doesn't the governor is removed and replaced with the next man, with a similar time frame to clean up the province.

I am not sure if the provincial governors have that sort of power over the RTP.

It may be that it can only be done at the highest levels of the RTP. If so, then nothing will change.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 4:54 PM, worgeordie said:

But what about the owner of the establishment , just arrest the low hanging

fruit, 

Perhaps he wasn't on the premises to be arrested?  Or perhaps the manager was the owner? 

Or perhaps the owner has been arrested in the four days since the raid.   Or, or ....! 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps he wasn't on the premises to be arrested?  Or perhaps the manager was the owner? 

Or perhaps the owner has been arrested in the four days since the raid.   Or, or ....! 

Well you know everything , so what did happen ? , Or, or you don't know ,

and just like criticizing everyones posts.....????

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well you know everything , so what did happen ? , Or, or you don't know ,

and just like criticizing everyones posts.....

I did not criticise anyone's post, neither did I suggest that I had the answer, I asked a couple of questions, that's all. 

You do know that this is a forum, don't you?  Opinions, observations or alternative views are the whole point of forums.  Perhaps it's you who just likes criticising (and misinterpreting) the comments of those who don't agree with everything you write?

• Haha 1

"Police threw the book at Somboon charging him with operating without a licence, operating out of hours, not checking ages of patrons and serving alcohol to minors, to name but four" and of course the police had no knowledge this place was operating illegally.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I did not criticise anyone's post, neither did I suggest that I had the answer, I asked a couple of questions, that's all. 

You do know that this is a forum, don't you?  Opinions, observations or alternative views are the whole point of forums.  Perhaps it's you who just likes criticising (and misinterpreting) the comments of those who don't agree with everything you write?

Lou if you could just go back over your last 100 posts i would bet at least 80 were

criticising other members posts , sometimes up to 20 odd in one thread , trying

to be superior , and too bloody clever , others  have commented on this  too ,

kind regards Worgeordie

• Like 1