Can’t we the public now cope with a Covid outbreak in Thailand?

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

with an average rate of 31,148 cases a day between August 7th and 13th,

I wonder were these numbers is coming from. MOPH totally reported about 2,000 each day between 7 and 15 Aug for all 77 provinces. The total cases was about 14,000 for the whole week so 31,148 cases/day sounds very strange.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

I wonder were these numbers is coming from. MOPH totally reported about 2,000 each day between 7 and 15 Aug for all 77 provinces. The total cases was about 14,000 for the whole week so 31,148 cases/day sounds very strange.

As I understand it, the current "official" COVID case numbers the government now reports daily are only those requiring new hospitalization -- which is obviously a huge change from the past.

The 30,000-60,000 per day estimates recently in the news are the government's estimates of the actual numbers of people coming down with the virus / testing positive for it on a daily basis -- numbers that they no longer publicly report day to day.

But of course, many -- probably the majority of positive test results lately -- involve people taking ATK tests on their own and likely never reporting those to the government anywhere....

It's much easier to talk about declaring COVID "endemic" when your official case counts (new hospitalizations) are 2,000 per day -- as opposed to the 30K to 60K per day numbers, which probably are a significant undercount to reality.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Last week we reported that COVID-19 infections in 44 of Thailand’s provinces, which include Bangkok, have been increasing, with an average rate of 31,148 cases a day between August 7th and 13th, according to Spokesman for the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin.

I Know. Let's try to bring in more tourists. Thailand's infection rate is only running at about a million new cases a month. 

Let's waste loads more money by throwing it into the money pit of increasing tourism. Here's an idea, why not use it to help lower the infection rate figures.

Trying to increase tourism is like trying to wipe your ass when the diarrhea is still flowing. Cork up the flow first before telling the world you smell sweet again.

2 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

As I understand it, the current "official" COVID case numbers the government now reports daily are only those requiring new hospitalization -- which is obviously a huge change from the past.

The 30,000-60,000 per day estimates recently in the news are the government's estimates of the actual numbers of people coming down with the virus / testing positive for it on a daily basis -- numbers that they no longer publicly report day to day.

But of course, many -- probably the majority of positive test results lately -- involve people taking ATK tests on their own and likely never reporting those to the government anywhere....

It's much easier to talk about declaring COVID "endemic" when your official case counts (new hospitalizations) are 2,000 per day -- as opposed to the 30K to 60K per day numbers, which probably are a significant undercount to reality.

Still I wonder from where they get those numbers, 31,148 feels like a rather exact number to be an estimation. I can not also wonder if Dr Taweesin at Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration want to keep his numbers as high as possible so there will till be a need for CCSA to continue to exist.

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The sheer fact that every country on the planet deliberately destroyed the economy for now and a generation ahead is clear signs to get on with life. The destruction far outweighs the disease

You would need to elucidate for a dummy like me.

The GDP of many countries has grown beyond the point of where they were at the

outbreak of Covid.

Where are these deliberately destroyed economies for now and a generation ahead and what is your reasoning?

What am I missing?

Edited by allanos
typo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, stoner said:

to infinity....and beyond.

...well that is for me alone to assess, based on my age and health status. Meanwhile the leading companies are working flat out on developing longer term and multiple disease vaccines. Thank you.

I'm a mask-wearer. I think wearing a mask is polite, makes others feel safer being around me, & may even protect others should I have contracted Covid & don't know it yet.

BUT I went to my large public hospital today for an official Covid ATK 24 hours before dental work. This is reasonable, protects the dentist & their staff. Took my time & 200 baht.

I asked the staff there what percentage tested positive. 1%, they said...but that's because only responsible people come in for testing.

Are you inclined to agree? Lowest common denominator & all that. The only people I see without masks in public (e.g., BTS) are foreigners. Be polite & safe for everybody--it's not so onerous.

• Like 1

For the people who see other unmasked types on the BTS car they are on, look carefully and

see if some are the I do not care young crowd, or expats and other travelers. When I chat with my Thai relatives,                                                        they tell me that they are wearing their masks, sometimes for the pollution, and also sometimes when the BTS car is packed and

people are crowded together. The Asian attitude is a bit different than Western culture and attitudes. Of course

I cannot get that into the heads of know it alls. Carry On.

Harvey

20 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

For some (obvious?) reason the WHO and governments around the world have been working hard to convince us all that vaccines are the magic fix for everything. Well it's not. It's about time people realise that some diseases can't be prevented by vaccines. So much money and efforts were put into vaccines and vaccinations instead of developing a specific COVID treatment.

Well, they have succeeded in keeping the population afraid of their own shadow

Straw man. We've known for years that some diseases, like flu, can't be prevented by vaccines. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, edogthong said:

The first time that a foreigner got something for free in Thailand, it was an injection. That should've been your first clue.

What nonsense.....  they had no obligation to treat foreigners but did so, many going in front of locals for the jabs and getting a preferred one too. 

• Like 1

Seven (out of 9) in my household tested positive for covid a few weeks ago, all at the same time. None of them had had it before. All were vaccinated (sino+astra). They were all sick in various degrees from mild to moderate, but all of them were back on their feet within a week and tested negative five or six days after testing positive. No one was freaked out about it, as they would have been a couple of years ago. They just treated it like any other respiratory infection and waited for it to pass, which it did. 

Ok, this is just an anecdote, but it tends to suggest that Covid is no longer the emergency that it was when it started. It's spreading like wildfire because there is no widespread immunity, but it is not the threat that it was last year and the year before. Slowing down the spread now is only prolonging the agony and promoting fear. The sooner we all get it and get herd immunity the better. We can then find something else to freak out about. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

It's spreading like wildfire because there is no widespread immunity,

Despite so many suffering vaccinations that were supposed to do that job. Three of the damned things I had, and I felt I was misled,.. when I had the first one, I thought it was done with!

• Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 5:51 AM, JCCR6 said:

Most Thais were not wearing masks on Public transport before covid. Who writes this stuff!?

From the OP:

"Most Thais in the big cities like Bangkok were wearing masks on public transport before Covid anyway."

On 8/24/2022 at 5:51 AM, JCCR6 said:

Most Thais were not wearing masks on Public transport before covid. Who writes this stuff!?

From the OP:

"Most Thais in the big cities like Bangkok were wearing masks on public transport before Covid anyway."

At the end of last month my son came down with a high grade fever which turned out to be COVID. All beds in the Samitivej Sukhumvit COVID ward were full at the time and we were told to call round other hospitals which mainly had no COVID beds available either.  Eventually we got him into the COVID ward at Samitivej and he recovered in a three days but his mother got sick looking after him. My son was discharged as soon as his fever went down and symptoms improved to free up a bed for another COVID patient. When I picked them up both were still positive and my wife had only been positive for a day and was presumably highly infectious.  I picked them up from the lobby where other non-COVID patients were milling about. There are no special arrangements to get COVID patients in and out without contacting other patients and there are longer any COVID precautions in the lobby. Anyway the hospitals must have realised that the temperature checks didn't keep COVID out. 

I went down to Hua Hin when my family had COVID to reverse isolate and was informed by our condo manager that there were also no beds available for COVID patients there. 

Maybe the situation has improved in the hospitals but I doubt it.  I have had COVID denyers arguing that there were no COVID wards in Bangkok last month just because they couldn't see them,  but I have a hospital bill to prove it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, goatfarmer said:

Seven (out of 9) in my household tested positive for covid a few weeks ago, all at the same time. None of them had had it before. All were vaccinated (sino+astra). They were all sick in various degrees from mild to moderate, but all of them were back on their feet within a week and tested negative five or six days after testing positive. No one was freaked out about it, as they would have been a couple of years ago. They just treated it like any other respiratory infection and waited for it to pass, which it did. 

Ok, this is just an anecdote, but it tends to suggest that Covid is no longer the emergency that it was when it started. It's spreading like wildfire because there is no widespread immunity, but it is not the threat that it was last year and the year before. Slowing down the spread now is only prolonging the agony and promoting fear. The sooner we all get it and get herd immunity the better. We can then find something else to freak out about. 

Herd immunity from coronaviruses is a myth.  It has not happened with the common cold and the immunity you get from COVID infection is unlikely to last more than 1-3 months. Some people are getting repeat infections a month after recovering from the previous infection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 1:21 PM, Dogmatix said:

Herd immunity from coronaviruses is a myth.  It has not happened with the common cold and the immunity you get from COVID infection is unlikely to last more than 1-3 months. Some people are getting repeat infections a month after recovering from the previous infection. 

Like Biden. Does he even wear a mask?

On 8/24/2022 at 11:44 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Have they?... no one seems afraid of Covid in Europe now...   Covid has evolved into a variant we are no longer concerned about. 

Its only countries such as Thailand and China who continue to operate with a degree of concern for this virus. 

You will argue next that influenza vaccines do not work. 

They don't seem all that concerned about covid in Thailand either, based on my recent visit to a private hospital in Pattaya. My wife and I are unvaxxed. We had covid last week based on the results of a BinaxNow home test. I got over it very quickly and was feeling fine after 4 days. My wife had next-level extreme headaches so we went to the hospital. I told the doctor about our covid diagnosis and the timeline and symptoms of our illness and he didn't even ask if we had been vaxxed. He wasn't the slightest bit interested. I'm 63. I expected a lot of fuss over it based on everything we hear about it on the news.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

From posts here, and after near 3 years, some still don't understand that C19 vax does NOT stop you catching it, what it does, is to TRY to prepare your body for the C19 invasion, to fight it in its early stage, so reducing the full-blown thing which can be fatal......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Most people were vaxxed and boosted expecting they would not get sick in the first place. Your explanation is the official fallback position to explain why they are still getting sick.

Seems like you didn't do your homework chap, it is very old news that the jab does not stop C19, yet folk like you keep going on and on about it. 

Now go and get yourself jabbed to live another day....????

• Sad 2