Thai teen with HIV needs help to get to uni: Despite constant bullying and stigma Nong Jaa fights on

webfact

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

How to know this isn't a scam?

A simple answer for you. If you think it might be scam, then don't donate anything at all. Many others on here don't think it is a scam and are donating.

That doesn't answer the question that was asked in any way, shape or form, never mind simply. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, timendres said:

Just send your "it might be a scam" amount.

Thanks, I will donate an amount I am comfortable with when it is going to her, if she still needs it.

Unfortunately she may still need it.

Because, today, all the money that was sent to the account number given, is in the hands of the director (self-appointed trustee) and they're keeping it long term, with the mention of passing it to her yearly, as they see fit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

If I may ask, would the posters that immediately sent money to the account number given without due diligence, still have done so if they knew that she would not be in charge of the cash they sent, and that the money they sent would actually be in the hands of Thais that decided they should be in control of it for years, to do with as they choose over the coming years?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just as important to "out" the ignorant, savage mentality that led/leads to her, and many others, being bullied and ostracised for being HIV+.

Or is it to be regarded as just one more charming characteristic of that which the state is so enthusiastic to drum into the heads of its subjects..........."Thainess"?

Edited by Enoon

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Yesterday Yuthana Raekkheun, Sankhaburi, Chainat district chief and the director of her school - Phadej Suphanthana of Khuruprachasan school - and other officials took rice and a bursary as an initial help. 

Thai Rath didn't explain why this was happening now. 

Social media?

13 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Always worry about a scam,it happens in many countries.Maybe not this case,but i don,t know.Everyone has seen go fund me and please help me.No travel insurance and expect others to bail them out.Be interested to see what happens down the track on this story

Well, send a few hundred if you are worried about it being a scam.

No need to send much.

Even 300 baht is a day's wage to an uneducated person and may be appreciated. I am sure we can all afford that.

Pennies make pounds.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

Really? Guys here who bitch about an 60B beer and never tip sending money to a stranger? 

Yup, that's me. 

This girl deserves a leg up.

But I ain't seen any 60 baht beers in a decade or so. And I can't remember the last time I had service that deserved a tip. Even though I do tip occasionally nonetheless.

We apparently have a new word now, courtesy of Aseannow's anonymous writer - "HIV-ers". How do we pronounce it? Like people who hunt beehives? Hive - ers? Did this writer ever ask an HIV sufferer how they would feel about being called that? They make it sound like having HIV is some kind of sport, like divers, hikers, runners. HIV-ers. I won a gold medal in the HIV-ers marathon championship.  Or is it a club? The girl now belongs to the HIV-ers' club, having passed the initiation. What an insult to a person who has a potentially deadly disease and who suffers the stigma from it, trivializing it into an insensitive  slur. I've never seen anything more ridiculous. I had Covid. Am I now a Covider? If you have the Flu, are you a Fluer? If you have cancer, are you a Cancerer? Is this a non English speaking person pretending he has enough grasp of the subtleties of the language to create such words and have them make sense? We've seen that in the staff writers here plenty of times as they try to sound dramatic in the tradition of imaginary 1940s newspaper reporters from old Superman or detective TV shows, throwing out obsolete English slang phrases that sound cartoonish in their awkwardness. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift

17 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

It definitely adds to the story.

Doctors around transport departments charge 100 baht for a fake health certificate for driving licenses. How much do they charge someone for a fake HIV diagnoses? 

some people are really showing what bottom feeders they are 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

Yup, that's me. 

This girl deserves a leg up.

But I ain't seen any 60 baht beers in a decade or so. And I can't remember the last time I had service that deserved a tip. Even though I do tip occasionally nonetheless.

I don't know where you go, I find no shortage of cheap beers whenever I want one. Do you understand a thing called inflation? It's a math thing. According to a Thailand inflation calculator, 60 baht ten years ago is now approximately 70 baht today. I see 70 baht beers everywhere. And I see nothing but excellent service wherever I go. I've been here 10 years. Mind you, there are choices available, and I make them accordingly. Maybe you get worse service because they don't like you and your attitude. Nobody likes a complainer. Nice of you to tip occasionally. So you might be entitled to occasional good service. There's that word. Entitled. 

Wait...what?  

The bank account that was said to be hers is actually some school directors account?

They will have the money....not her or her grandfather? 

They will have conditions to give it to her....so if her grades are not what they demand or she does not do as they want they will not give it to her.....or if she leaves the university for medical reasons or bullying she looses it all?

What will happen to the money in the directors account then? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I just am wondering whether her being a 17 year old female has any connection with people willing to donate money to her .

Would some people also donate if it was a fat overweight  male ?

I donated 2000 baht to a fat overweight male bar singer I know who was out of work because of covid and unable to take care of his family. He asked to borrow it, but I refused to require it be paid back. I just told him when you see someone else in need pay it forward. It doesn't matter to me or most decent people what a needy person looks like. There is something seriously wrong with your perceptions mate, especially with regard to 17 year old females. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wonder why some people are so full of themselves that they post self-congratulatory comments detailing their contributions? 

Because they are not always giving out of pure kindness and compassion, sometimes just as much for praise and to make them feel good about themselves. Celebrities do it all the time. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Because they are not giving out of pure kindness and compassion, they are doing it just as much for praise and to make them feel good about themselves. Celebrities do it all the time. 

Yes, some call it virtue signalling while the rest of the donors just get on with donating without shouting about it.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

17 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I wonder why you perceive what people have done as them being full of themselves and their posts as being self-congratulatory.  (Actually, I don't.)

I realise you are very much of the mindset "Thai good - foreigner bad", but you could give it a rest where some foreign people are doing something nice for a Thai person in need.

Even if we were to pretend that you are correct, and the users that posted saying that they donated money did so out of vanity and the desire to show off, a very deserving person has received some free money to help her change her life for the better.

I see nothing but positives all round, but you choose to look for negatives.

You seem to be as full of prejudice yourself as you are suggesting. I see posts that are very likely as much self congratulatory as not. There is no cause for you to "perceive" the mindset of the commenter to be "Thai good - foreigner bad".  The commenter made an observation and a speculation. There was no hint otherwise as to his mindset or opinions. Project much? 

Edited by Jonathan Swift

19 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I just am wondering whether her being a 17 year old female has any connection with people willing to donate money to her .

Would some people also donate if it was a fat overweight  male ?

Sorry to say I was thinking the exact same thing.

18 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I wonder why some people are so full of themselves that they post derogatory comments about people positing that they helped out?

Next time try "I know you are but what am I". Same level as your comment. Theirs was a legitimate comment. Some people do such things as much for their own egos as the other person. The phrase was some people. Some. Maybe 1%. Maybe 10%. Capiche?

29 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Next time try "I know you are but what am I". Same level as your comment. Theirs was a legitimate comment. Some people do such things as much for their own egos as the other person. The phrase was some people. Some. Maybe 1%. Maybe 10%. Capiche?

Some people or all people wasn't the point though was it? Think it through, it ain't that hard