Thai teen with HIV needs help to get to uni: Despite constant bullying and stigma Nong Jaa fights on

webfact

14 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All the donations came from foreigners?  I'm pretty sure that more people in Thailand read Thai Rath than Thaivisa.

You might want to think about why that upsets you

It doesn't upset me, I just made an observation.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It doesn't upset me, I just made an observation.

Was that observation correct?  No.  It was quite different from what was actually "said".

It's interesting to think about why your observation was so far from the truth, isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It has not only appeared on Thaivisa.   Did you not see the link?

A link???

Proof beyond all doubt. ????

It's more indication that it isn't a scam than it is.  Don't worry about it, though, no one's forcing you to contribute.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

"Thanks to everyone from the bottom of this little girl's heart" - HIV girl overwhelmed by generosity

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

The 17 year old girl in Chainat who has had HIV since she was in her mother's womb, been bullied and faced stigma has been overwhelmed by the generosity of Thais and foreigners alike.

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1269988-thanks-to-everyone-from-the-bottom-of-this-little-girls-heart-hiv-girl-overwhelmed-by-generosity/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I just am wondering whether her being a 17 year old female has any connection with people willing to donate money to her .

Would some people also donate if it was a fat overweight  male ?

Why do you need to change the circumstances so drastically?

Surely "Would people donate as much if everything was the same except for the gender?" would be a more honest question?

• Like 1

I know I will get some serious cr4p for this one but I have donated millions to underprivileged people in Thailand, in the end they stole my business, house, motorbikes and threatened to kill me.

Call me cynical if you like!

I really do hope the little girl does well in the future, and Thailand can prove wrong all the corruptness that existed and still exists when this money comes to be used longer term as it is intended for the young girls future.

My next thought is how many more articles are we going to start seeing like this, it could be a whole new go fund me business in the making.

I will hold off on my donation until I see some follow ups to this story, I would definitely donate the little girl has had a sh111t life so far and only seems to want to better herself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Always worry about a scam,it happens in many countries.Maybe not this case,but i don,t know.Everyone has seen go fund me and please help me.No travel insurance and expect others to bail them out.Be interested to see what happens down the track on this story

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

There's no need to be abusive over a simple honest question.

How to know this isn't a scam?

I don't believe there is any scam, but I just hope that every Baht that people send her goes to her and her alone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I don't believe there is any scam, but I just hope that every Baht that people send her goes to her and her alone.

Hope is a wonderful thing, but the word 'trustees' and 'I have never seen this much money in my life' do ring alarm bells, I hope she still has the drive to go to university with a million in the bank, and the 'trustees' are trustworthy enough to ensure that it all goes to the intended use.
I am not belittling the young girls situation, but am aware also of how things work, and we may well be donating to a member of the government or police force in the longer term even though the intentions are good.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

There's no need to be abusive over a simple honest question.

How to know this isn't a scam?

A simple answer for you. If you think it might be scam, then don't donate anything at all. Many others on here don't think it is a scam and are donating.

• Like 1

Just sent donation from my SCB Account in TH ... GOOD LUCK "JAA" with your University ambitions from Kuhn BRIAN in Australia ... I have volunteered in TH for the past 22 years and have a Thai family in Nakhon Sawan past 10 years ... Currently "stuck" at home in Australia due to ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and travel restrictions. Khop kuhn ma kup117596330_NEIVolunteerIDCardNEW20138x7.thumb.jpg.e6bf3ffceeb1df8576a16671dd278467.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I totally agree ...  what about the teachers and the school principal handling the money ....  just saying as TIT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I totally agree ...  what about the teachers and the school principal handling the money ....  just saying as TIT.

Very true, If I was a teacher or principle making 10-15k a month and the signer of an account with over 1 million in it, it would tempt me!

Happened before and will happen again, don't mean to be the bringer of doom and gloom in a sad story, but lets wait for the follow up stories in a few months/years.

i) Did she make it to university and what course is she studying?
ii) How has the money been distributed between life living and university fees etc
iii) Have the 'trustees' provided transparency on the money that has left the 'donation' bank account
iv) Are the school/trustees taking fees for being a trustee and if so how much %
v) I know they said no ATM card provided to alleviate everyone's fears - but that means nothing, how many required signatures and who does it take to make a transaction, this fund is already at 1mil and could go upwards of 2mil if people keep on donating, that would be a good reason for me not to go to university!!

Happened so many times before, I am being cynical and if it does turn into a success story I will donate generously to outweigh my current cynicism in this university funding campaign, as an aside there are many more worthy causes to spend a lot of money donating to.

• Like 1