Travel international with a DTAC sim, cheapest way?

Hi,

Not too clued up on this but I need to travel to overseas for a few weeks and if possible keep my DTAC number active whilst there the cheapest way possible? How to do? Do I need to sign up for something extra, the SIM is already checked for international roaming, or just keep going, make sure data is off and use phone sparingly?

I will just need it to receive OTPs occasionally I guess and will at most other times have access to the internet, Line, WhatsApp etc by using a local wifi? I think I read somewhere you can use DTAC number off of wifi but not sure how that works?

Thanks for any tips.

If its pay as you go SIM.. every time you top up even 10 bhat you get an extra month valid. I took mine to shop and Said I want sim to still be active when I get back and get OTP in UK....  She toped it up about a 10 times. 

• Like 1

If overseas I only have access to a WiFi signal on my phone coming off a router connected to a satellite link to internet, with no cell phone cover in region, is there a trick to getting DTAC to receive OTPs ? Or will I not be able to use my phone number at all in that situation?

3 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

If overseas I only have access to a WiFi signal on my phone coming off a router connected to a satellite link to internet, with no cell phone cover in region, is there a trick to getting DTAC to receive OTPs ? Or will I not be able to use my phone number at all in that situation?

Doubtful. 

Calls, yes. https://www.dtac.co.th/en/network/wifi-calling.html

• Thanks 1

Yes, can confirm that I could send/receive SMSes using the DTAC Call WiFi Calling option. Receiving SMSes is free.

Receiving calls is free.

Outbound calls/SMSes are charged at your current plan rates.

10 hours ago, Barley said:

And you don't need to keep the SIM card in the phone this way. 

Yes, at least until you turn the phone off, and back on.

• Thanks 1

I've used DTAC roaming (for a while they had a package which had included roaming in monthly post-paid package). It worked, but... The reason for it wasn't really for calls or SMS, but for data, and for that... speed of it was dreadful. Like if I was being locked to like 128 kbps or something. It was OK for chat messages, but even taking a photo and sending it took so long I just gave up and sent stuff off when I hooked up to Wifi. Eventually I gave up and enabled roaming from AIS, which was maaaaaaanny times faster - on SAME network!

Hence I could not recommend it.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I might avoid using a Thai SIM for data in the U.S.. Maybe 3 days/1 GB for 299 baht is OK to get you through until you can get a local SIM in the USA.

I assumed this specific topic was more about receiving OTPs (SMSes).

Does the OP have prepaid or postpaid? I don't think you can option a prepaid SIM (DTAC) unless it's an exisiting Sim Go Inter. You can layer onto a postpaid SIM.

Enable IR

Extend expiry (prepaid)

Install and get familiar with the mobile app

Insure your handset supports WiFi Calling with DTAC

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

The network location  I am at does not recognize my IR DTAC SIM, but DTAC over local wifi is OK and cheaper.

Seems like that would be the way to go then. Might be worth talking to DTAC to see if they have an agreement with the carriers you need to connect with. For example AIS has agreements with most of the world and I have IR for my phone. It is just a quick computer enable from the company in your case DTAC

Edited by Photoguy21