Should the Thai government ban mobile use for motorcyclists?

webfact

I think it is obvious to all that riding scoots with a phone in one hand is now a pandemic and dangerous, the youngsters cannot put that phone down, where ever they happen to be.

But alas, as there are no eyes out there on the street to stop the bike phone use, it is a waste of time..????

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Further to this I think cars should be fitted with a device so that when the engine is started calls cannot be made from the vehicle. So many times I have said to a mate " The driver has put his phone down , look he is speeding up ".

I agree with this...

In the car - Even with in system connectivity (i.e. phone going through car speakers etc) talking on the phone while driving is a distraction. I hate it. 

If it's someone I don’t know, I tell them I’m driving call back in xx mins / hrs.... If it's someone I know I’ll just tell them I’ll call back. 

I don’t want to be driving while on a call.

On the motorcycle - I have a QuadLock which I use to follow GPS directions when or if I need them, thats rarely. At all other times the phone remains in the bag or in a pocket - thats just self preservation. 

• Like 1

Just now, transam said:

I think it is obvious to all that riding scoots with a phone in one hand is now a pandemic and dangerous, the youngsters cannot put that phone down, where ever they happen to be.

But alas, as there are no eyes out there on the street to stop the bike phone use, it is a waste of time..????

Sadly, like flouting of helmet laws, using a phone has become the norm - the entitlement of normalcy and the habit of using the phone while on / in a vehicle has set in... 

Its very difficult to change the habits of a nation....  crack-downs do not work - the ‘give a F factor’ of those in positions of decision making power is ‘no F’s given’...  they just announce a law, they think they look good because they made an announcement. 

In a country where face is so very important it astonishes me that when someone in a position of power makes a statement / announces a crack-down etc that it is not carried through. 

Nearly every time an announcement is made to kerb this, prevent that, cut down on this, stop that nothing is done, there is no change - surely this is an ultimate loss of face !!... Or, the face only matters at 1 degree of separation amongst those immediately surrounding said ‘out of touch’ fool... 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sadly, like flouting of helmet laws, using a phone has become the norm - the entitlement of normalcy and the habit of using the phone while on / in a vehicle has set in... 

Its very difficult to change the habits of a nation....  crack-downs do not work - the ‘give a F factor’ of those in positions of decision making power is ‘no F’s given’...  they just announce a law, they think they look good because they made an announcement. 

In a country where face is so very important it astonishes me that when someone in a position of power makes a statement / announces a crack-down etc that it is not carried through. 

Nearly every time an announcement is made to kerb this, prevent that, cut down on this, stop that nothing is done, there is no change - surely this is an ultimate loss of face !!... Or, the face only matters at 1 degree of separation amongst those immediately surrounding said ‘out of touch’ fool... 

I think their monthly salary cancels out any of the face thingy...

They must keep thinking stuff up to guaranty the continuation of the cash and nice pension..????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

surely now is the time for the Thais roads minister to officially ban the use of mobile phones for drivers and passengers on motorbikes across Thailand.

Why not car drivers and truck drivers as well?

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree with this...

In the car - Even with in system connectivity (i.e. phone going through car speakers etc) talking on the phone while driving is a distraction. I hate it. 

If it's someone I don’t know, I tell them I’m driving call back in xx mins / hrs.... If it's someone I know I’ll just tell them I’ll call back. 

I don’t want to be driving while on a call.

On the motorcycle - I have a QuadLock which I use to follow GPS directions when or if I need them, thats rarely. At all other times the phone remains in the bag or in a pocket - thats just self preservation. 

Even with in system connectivity (i.e. phone going through car speakers etc) talking on the phone while driving is a distraction.

Totally agree with this, I tried to get into the habit of connecting my phone to my vehicle but I felt very distracted taking a call while driving.

It is strange, as I can talk to a passenger while driving without too much of a distraction but as soon as I have a conversation through my car's audio system, I go to pieces and start running down pedestrians and ploughing through the stalls of street traders. ????

I suppose the phenomenon is akin to those Yuppies in the late 90s who were able to go in a straight line while walking & talking with a friend but give them a bluetooth earphone and call them up to ask them how they got on with the tart that they ended up with last night and they automatically walk into a lamppost/bicycle/old lady.

Edited to add, I just realised that I posted to agree with you agreeing with another poster.

If anyone agrees with me, this could go on forever.

Now, if only we could find some way of harnessing this infinite loop and connect it to the power grid, we wouldn't need Putin anymore. ????

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Haha 1

What's the point of laws if nobody enforces them?

Or if 100B "tip" is enough to drive away?

One of the biggest problems in Thailand is the utterly corrupt police. And they are obviously corrupt from top to bottom.

And that is obviously only possible because politicians don't want police officers who enforce the laws. And those politicians are elected by people who vote for the little sister or daughter of a banned corrupt politician and then they are somehow surprised when they have an incompetent corrupt government.

TiT

And at least I don't see any indication that any of that will change anytime soon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Meanwhile, in the 'Bangkok News' section of this forum, a news article is titled 'Bangkok gets tough with motorcyclists riding or parking on pavements'.

Here's an idea, why not introduce laws that should already have been in place, such as (but not limited to):

One pillion passenger only (no families).

Helmets for both the rider and the pillion.

No pavement surfing.

No driving the wrong way.

No turning on a red light because the roads are quiet.

No phones for rider (except for a fixed GPS).

No 12 to 15 year olds (16 to 18 provision licence, smaller cc allowance).

REAL DRIVING TESTS.

No illegal U-turns.

Follow all other road laws/rules

Once you have these laws in place, try enforcing them.

I like it.  you are right, but an utopia in Thailand

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Why do we want Thailand to become a police state????

Thais obviously don't?

Exaggerate much.. ??  A country which is intelligently and well policed for the protection of society is not a ‘Police State’, your use of that phrase attempts instills and Orwellian fear (1984) or generate impressions of the Stasi’...    stopping people from putting innocent lives at risk is not ‘over policing’ as your ‘police state’ comment implies. 

(nearly) Everybody, Thai’s included want Thailand to be a safer place for their family, loved ones, those they care about and everyone else those they care about care about.... 

... If this this means the lowest common denominator of stupid selfish people riding and driving while looking at their phones, while drunk or jumping red lights etc attracted police attention and fines that is fine with me, I support it...  

That does not make a police state, No !... it would make Thailand a country in which the police make efforts to protect the community - those efforts are currently lacking.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Meanwhile, in the 'Bangkok News' section of this forum, a news article is titled 'Bangkok gets tough with motorcyclists riding or parking on pavements'.

Here's an idea, why not introduce laws that should already have been in place, such as (but not limited to):

One pillion passenger only (no families).

Helmets for both the rider and the pillion.

No pavement surfing.

No driving the wrong way.

No turning on a red light because the roads are quiet.

No phones for rider (except for a fixed GPS).

No 12 to 15 year olds (16 to 18 provision licence, smaller cc allowance).

REAL DRIVING TESTS.

No illegal U-turns.

Follow all other road laws/rules

Once you have these laws in place, try enforcing them.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if these laws already were in place... :whistling: 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, transam said:

This has always puzzled me about the police culture in Thailand. There are no fixed checkpoints in Australia; however, everyone is aware the police are out and about, and AFAIK all the speed cameras work. They also have mobile booze buses. And stiff penalties.

Having fixed checkpoints that everyone knows seems to me to be a waste of time, one has to be really dumb to get nailed by one.

I have never ever seen a police motorbike or car that has pulled someone over to give them a ticket. If they are only enforcing the road laws at checkpoints, how can they expect any change for the better?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

is there not a law already about mobile phones...

if my phone rings or makes any noise (i.e) line or whatsapp or any other thing I STOP to look....NEVER look while driving .......!!!!

You’re not the guy who blocked traffic stopping in the middle lane on Sukhumvit rd the other day, are you ???? :giggle:

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

This has always puzzled me about the police culture in Thailand. There are no fixed checkpoints in Australia; however, everyone is aware the police are out and about, and AFAIK all the speed cameras work. They also have mobile booze buses. And stiff penalties.

Having fixed checkpoints that everyone knows seems to me to be a waste of time, one has to be really dumb to get nailed by one.

I have never ever seen a police motorbike or car that has pulled someone over to give them a ticket. If they are only enforcing the road laws at checkpoints, how can they expect any change for the better?

Agreed....  the issue is of course the distrust in the police. 

In the UK you get a £200 fine and 6 penalty points (you’re maxed out at 12) if you hold and use a phone, sat nav, tablet, or any device that can send and receive data while driving or riding a motorcycle.

In Thailand you argue with the policeman, call up a friend, friend tells them he knows someone more powerful... etc etc...   Or just argue you were not... who’s going to believe the policeman who just wants his 200 baht bribe ???

OR... you are caught on camera and receive a fixed penalty notice... Big deal... it seems only a handful of posters on this forum are worried about those. Everyone else bins them !!!

The ’system’ has to be respected first, and for the system to be respected it has to be honourable, and for it to be honourable it has to be incorruptible and function with honesty...    this is somewhat of a challenge in a country where corruption is endemic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

However after this tragedy, surely now is the time for the Thais roads minister to officially ban the use of mobile phones for drivers and passengers on motorbikes across Thailand.

Perhaps the best deterrent would be for the police to confiscate the phone for three days on the first occasion, and then if they are caught a second time, they pay a fine and their phone is taken away for a week.

I thought mobile phone use when driving was already banned.

The suggested punishments sound like a good solution.

Use of mobile phones should be banned for all drivers car, truck, moto etc. only exception is using wireless earphone. As one posted earlier take phone for 3 days and any further occurrences fine and

loss of phone for 3 days. 

The Land Traffic Act modified in 2008 prohibits drivers from using mobile phones while driving, except in cases where a supplemental accessory such as a Bluetooth headset is used.

(grabbed this off a site linked to Bangkok Post).  

Seems laws already exist.  It is an enforcement issue with police.  As everyone who lives in Thailand already knows, many traffic breaches are ignored by police or just not discovered.  

Traffic enforcement blitzes happen but the intended message does not deliver across the community.  Penalties are not too high. No demerit points or loss of licence, no serious outcomes for unlicensed driving as well.  

Seems we just all need to keep our heads on a swivel here when driving/riding/walking on roads and footpaths.  I see drivers and riders all the time on phones in motion.  Even expats do it. Is dumb and stupid but only way to learn is crash, injury, death and/or financial repercussions. Sad but true. 

14 hours ago, webfact said:

He told reporters that he got a call every parent dreaded that his only daughter was dead - hit head-on by a pick-up truck.

He braked coming to a halt, but she rode into his lane on the two-lane road and collided head on.

Which is it?  He hit her head on or she collided with him?

14 hours ago, aussienam said:

The Land Traffic Act modified in 2008 prohibits drivers from using mobile phones while driving, except in cases where a supplemental accessory such as a Bluetooth headset is used.

(grabbed this off a site linked to Bangkok Post).  

Seems laws already exist.  It is an enforcement issue with police.  As everyone who lives in Thailand already knows, many traffic breaches are ignored by police or just not discovered.  

Traffic enforcement blitzes happen but the intended message does not deliver across the community.  Penalties are not too high. No demerit points or loss of licence, no serious outcomes for unlicensed driving as well.  

Seems we just all need to keep our heads on a swivel here when driving/riding/walking on roads and footpaths.  I see drivers and riders all the time on phones in motion.  Even expats do it. Is dumb and stupid but only way to learn is crash, injury, death and/or financial repercussions. Sad but true. 

Correct. Here is a Google translation of the original Thai document Road Traffic Act(No. 13) 2016 that superseded the 2008 Road Traffic Act:

Section 43. No driver shall drive a vehicle:

(9) while using a mobile phone except for using a mobile phone without the driver having to hold it or seize that mobile phone as prescribed by the National Police Commissioner.”

• Like 1