Enoch Powell, he wasnt wrong in his forecast !

CharlieH

6 minutes ago, transam said:

No, you seem to know nothing about the bloke and his reasons for immigration control.

You live the other side of the world and call him racist scum, yet I and millions of others who actually live in the UK know and understand his thoughts.

Spend more time sorting the Aborigine apologies thing out in your own country, instead of calling UK MP's scum....????

Oh... So you living in the UK now @transam?

That's an awful long swim.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

No, you seem to know nothing about the bloke and his reasons for immigration control.

You live the other side of the world and call him racist scum, yet I and millions of others who actually live in the UK know and understand his thoughts.

Spend more time sorting the Aborigine apologies thing out in your own country, instead of calling UK MP's scum....????

Cut the ad hominems.

His EXACT words were "In this country in 15 or 20 years' time the black man will have the whip hand over the white man".

This is blatantly racist, inexcusable and vile. Anybody who thinks is person is anything other than loathsome, despicable scum should be worried about some of it rubbing off on them. I read the same English as you do, probably better.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Cut the ad hominems.

His EXACT words were "In this country in 15 or 20 years' time the black man will have the whip hand over the white man".

This is blatantly racist, inexcusable and vile. Anybody who thinks is person is anything other then loathsome, despicable scum should be worried about some of it rubbing off on them. I read the same English as you do, probably better.

As you know all about Enoch, cos you read it in Auss, can you tell me what of any of Enoch's thoughts were put into UK immigration law...?

Your forefathers' treatment of the Aborigine was racist, inexcusable, vile, loathsome, despicable, they were treated like scum, that was REAL, big difference for the use of "your" words here........????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

As you know all about Enoch, cos you read it in Auss, can you tell me what of any of Enoch's thoughts were put into UK immigration law...?

Your forefathers' treatment of the Aborigine was racist, inexcusable, vile, loathsome, despicable, they were treated like scum, that was REAL, big difference for the use of "your" words here........????

I read Chaucer and Shakespeare as well in "Auss". ????

I already said they weren't put into law because he gave a racist rationale for recommending them. It's also why he never became PM and was instead sacked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I read Chaucer and Shakespeare as well in "Auss". ????

I already said they weren't put into law because he gave a racist rationale for recommending them. It's also why he never became PM and was instead sacked.

Were they racist scum too.....?  ????

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, proton said:

You appear, like most whining about his speech, not to have read it. It neither mentions 1991 or that there would be rivers of blood in the UK. He mentions a classical quote of the river TIBER flowing with much blood, implying troubled times and anguish, not armed insurrection on our streets. 

https://anth1001.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/enoch-powell_speech.pdf

Actually, it turns out that the Rivers of Blood citation comes from the Aeneid where the prophetess predicts Civil War. So, I think that definitively establishes what Powell's intent was.

“As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding,” Powell said, and “like the Roman, I seem to see the River Tiber foaming with much blood”—a classical allusion to the Sybil’s prophecy of civil war in the Aeneid."

https://www.city-journal.org/html/what-enoch-powell-got-right-and-wrong-15854.html

28 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So much of a racist that he wanted to be posted to, and remain in India, and, later, learned Urdu (one of fourteen foreign languages that he spoke) in order to be able to speak to his Indian-born constituents in their own language.

Does that somehow cancel out his use of racism in an attempt to further his own political ambitions.

As I said early on in this thread, Powell parked his intellect, his education and his military experience when he took to racism to further his own political ambitions.

His racism is all the worse coming from a man who had the intellectual gifts and experience to know exactly what fire he was playing with.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, it turns out that the Rivers of Blood citation comes from the Aeneid where the prophetess predicts Civil War. So, I think that definitively establishes what Powell's intent was.

“As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding,” Powell said, and “like the Roman, I seem to see the River Tiber foaming with much blood”—a classical allusion to the Sybil’s prophecy of civil war in the Aeneid."

https://www.city-journal.org/html/what-enoch-powell-got-right-and-wrong-15854.html

Not the first educated man to twist his education in to the service of promoting hatred.

Nor sadly the last.

1 hour ago, MrMuddle said:

If all you're going to do is offer deflections, you can join the ignore list. 

The forum ignore list. The last redoubt of the feeble.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It takes a massive amount of intelligence to be a politician of Powell's repute.

Oh look! Here's Johnny come Lately.

You're skipping classes. We wrapped up the "intelligence debate" around page 12 already but we're happy to doggy paddle for a spell so that some other members can keep up.

• Sad 3